Supporting > Engine Ancillaries

Fuel injection systems

<< < (3/80) > >>

Roger B:
Thank you Lohring, those are some interesting variable stroke linkages to think about  :headscratch:  I guess that flash steam uses a significant quantity of water. I am looking a maximum of 2 - 3 mm3 per stroke.

These are the pump mechanisms I have been looking at. The Lanz pump uses a wedge between the eccentric and the plunger to vary the working stroke. The Benz pump uses a linkage to vary the stroke and the timing. The Compur pump has a separate spill valve and also allows the timing to be varied.

The Lanz picture is taken from 'Lanz von 1859 bis 1929' by Kurt Häfner  (Franckh-Kosmos)

The Benz picture is taken from 'Schlepper' by Armin Bauer (Bechtermünz Verlag)

The Compur  pump is taken from 'The Modern Diesel' Fifth Edition (Iliffe & sons Ltd)

Graham Meek:
Hi Roger,

Yes my Diesel is coming along, but my progress is very slow, the injector pump has been a bit of a stumbling block up until recently. I had been going down the variable stroke route and tried all sorts of different designs. Then talking to Jim at Woodward's he suggested restricting the in-flow. Apparently this was how they used to vary the fuel supply in the very beginning. He said the type of engine that I am building is not going to have such a demanding injection regime as one fitted to a vehicle.

I have therefore been experimenting with some differential screw thread combinations to give me a range of fuel supply that I think the engine will need.

The real problem now is getting this design to fit my engine, I do not want end up with an injection pump as big as the 10 cc engine.

My best regards
Gray,

Roger B:
Hi Gray,

I choose to start at around 25 cc as the biggest I could comfortably make with my machines to give me more chance of getting the bits to fit.

I have looked at a couple of simple variable stroke mechanisms, but the problem is keeping the angle of injection commencement the same (or similar. I don't know how important this really is  :headscratch: ). I am probably going to try a cam like the one on the Benz pump where the working angle is quite small to start with. This should also give a quick pump stroke (less time to leak  ::)  )

Graham Meek:
Hi Roger,

Several years ago when I started out on my Diesel engine design I came across the engine below. The photograph was all the information I could find, not helped with my limited knowledge of German. I was wondering if you, or anyone else on the Forum has come across this engine before and knows more about the design?

My best regards
Gray,

Roger B:
Hi Gray,

A limited search suggests that the drawing you have is an Eisfeld. I have a short German description that I will translate later, but it suggests that it was 15cc, ran, but was too heavy to fly.

http://www.kleinstmotoren.eu/histori15.html

I have attached a picture of a petrol Eisfeld engine, there are similarities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version