Author Topic: One of my other interests  (Read 26385 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: One of my other interests
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »
Nice work, George.  I've always thought that if I had my life to do over again I would either be an artist or a concert pianist.  Having dabbled in art some, I know it can be a long and arduous task to make a nice drawing or painting.  How long did each of these works take you to complete?

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
Hi George,

This is the first time I have read your posts on your 'other' talent and I'm truly impressed. Your ability is simply astounding and your skill to convey shiny and reflective surfaces truly remarkable. The reflections on the car are so realistic whilst that chrome on the Ford is just totally convincing. I was once told that 'All art is an illusion' - you have certainly mastered that concept

Congratulations on such fine work and please - keep us posted on further accomplishments.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
Hi Chuck,
On the more complex pieces like cars with all kinds of detail they can take up to 50 hours to complete. It starts out by making a sketch from the reference photo and making any changes to the composition. The sketch is then enlarged to the size the finished artwork is going to be, usually by taking it to a copy shop. The sketch is then transferred to the drawing paper by laying one over the other on my back patio doors, kind of like a giant light box. Once the light sketch is complete the coloring starts. With colored pencils it's not just a matter of picking out red for the car and black for the tires, each color has up to 5-6 layers of pigment to give the finished color depth. Once the coloring starts I get lost in the work, just like machining, and sometimes work into the wee hours of the morning until I look at the clock.
Thanks for asking,
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline ReFlad

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »
Wow George.  You have a mighty talent.  Very nice! Thanks for sharing and inspiring...

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »
You are no amateur in any of your 'interests'!

Hugh.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »
Gentlemen,
As a follow-up to the last posting on my inline 6 cylinder engine I said that I had to take a break to do an art commission. Well I got it finished. It turned out to big a little bit bigger job than I had anticipated. The lady wanted 3 portraits in one picture, here husband, his father and their son.
When I do art for people I don't charge a lot of money but when I was asked how much to do 3 portraits in one I was kind of put in a position. The reason being the lady who requested it is related to my wife's cousin by marriage. Not really close family but close enough that I had to forgo my usual fees and do it for quite a bit less. Anyway we came to a mutual agreement and I just finished framing it yesterday. Here husband's birthday is in early February so the deadline was met.
gbritnell

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
Done in the typical Britnell vain.....perfectly.

George.....you are good! :praise2: :cheers:

They should be VERY happy with that....at twice what they paid for it.....JMHO.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
Not only is the art work beautiful, if you think about it, the subject matter is quite relevant to the mindset of most of this forum, "GENERATIONS."

Whiskey

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
Gentlemen,
Here's an a few more pictures to update this thread.

An the last one for today is one of my all time favorite car works, a 32 Ford hot rod. The reference work was taken at one of our local Saturday night car gatherings. I just thought the shot with the shading and colors was very eye catching.
gbritnell
That '32 Ford art is real nice. Actually, to be correct, it is a '30 with a '32 rad shell. The car I am building is identical except for the antenna, the tri carb and the dropped headlight bar. Even the color is relatively the same. Mine is being painted this Saturday, and back in my shop on Sunday for assembly.
George you are an artist in many disciplines, and we should all strive to better ourselves from your sharing with us of your projects.
The pencil drawing that is my avatar, is a self portrait I did about a year ago. I too took art school and have quite a few pencil drawings, and a few airbrush pieces, and a lot of pinstriping panels.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:15:26 PM by HobbyNut »
PatO
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
She should be very pleased with that George. Just knowing you created such a family heirloom for them must be a tremendous source of pride, even despite the lower fee. That really is a wonderful piece of art!!!

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »
Gentlemen,
Well I'm recuperating fine but still can't lift anything for another 5-6 weeks so it gave me a good reason to go back to my drawing board and catch up on some projects I've had waiting. This first one is a colored pencil drawing of my granddaughter Hannah taken last year on a miniature golf outing. I had done a couple of portraits on black paper many years ago so this was kind of a learning experience once again. It's done with Prismacolor pencils and is about 13 x 14 inches.
gbritnell

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
Simply lovely George...please keep sharing these ...they are as awesome as your engine building artistry!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27:39 AM »
Good lord George....a very beautiful picture of a very pretty little girl

You must be very proud indeed!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »
George your attention to detail is remarkable from the hair down to the cloth. Such a beautiful little girl and a proud grandfather I bet. Beautiful work as usual George and I would not expect anything less from you easil. I differently like...........  :praise2:

Don

PatJ

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 02:18:27 AM »
I just saw this thread today.

All I can say is wow George !

Pat J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal