Author Topic: Another Hodgson Radial 9  (Read 44172 times)

Offline Mayhugh1

Re: Another Hodgson Radial 9
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2015, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks Terry.
Dont know wy I dont checked  there it is in the list of tools.
The price is triple vs ğlobal industries so I hope its not chines import.
Ove

Offline Mayhugh1

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
Ove,
The gear cutters I've purchased from McMaster-Carr, in the past, have been from Poland; and I have always found them to be of good quality. I've also purchased gear cutters from Travers Tool, but the ones I've received from them have been from China, and I've had two that were not even useable, in my opinion. McMaster-Carr may have to back-order them, and sometimes the delivery time can be quite long. Travers typically had what I needed actually in stock, but you roll  the dice on the quality. - Terry

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »
Ove, I use 0.8M 20deg metric cutters. They are so close to 32DP you can just pretend they're 32DP cutters. I don't know about mixing gears made this way with proper 32DP though, probably not a good idea

http://www.ctctools.biz/hss-involute-gear-cutters/

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »
I purchased 2 cutters from McMaster yesterday but change my mind today and trying to abort the order.
Over 60 dollar each and shipping to Sweden mayby 150 :insane: :rant:.
Kvom:That cutter on ebay doesnt that say 12DP? However I send the seller a question.
Steve Have you mixed gears or have you Metric Mod gears all over?
I was thinging of metric before I started but wasnt sure how get the right and then I bougt most of the gears by Amazon
but couldnt find all of them.
Terry ,Poland is next door vs USA for me but find it on internet :shrug:

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2015, 08:47:45 AM »
Yep I'm sort of using metric gears throughout and I made all my own. Shipping from the States is usually rather expensive for me too.

The gears for the oil pump I made genuine metric. The gears for the timing I made imperial using metric cutters

Do you have the book "Gears and gear cutting" by Ivan Law?? Highly recommended

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
Ok Steve but I have cutters to make the missing gears exept for the crankshaft

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2015, 09:02:05 PM »
You could possibly make a cutter. There's a method to make a form relieved 4 tooth cutter that doesn't require much special tooling. Or a fly cutter

14.5 deg pressure angle will complicate matters for a small gear though

You only have to make those two gears match of course. So you could make that pair 20degs and even use metric cutters for just them

BTW I used a 40mm diameter cutter. It ran into the spigot behind the gear a little but it's ok

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:47 AM »
Hi Steve!
Yes I have thinked about making one for a while. I have to try.Yes making the shaftgear and the other gear in metric would be an good way, the problem is that my cutters are big as  :censored:
Get this email from McMaster today :ThumbsDown:
"Hi Ove,

Thank you for considering McMaster-Carr for your purchase, but we have cancelled your order for gear cutters.

Due to the cost of complying with extensive US export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international purchases only from our established international customers.

Mike"

Offline petertha

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2015, 05:03:31 AM »
I purchased 2 cutters from McMaster yesterday but change my mind today and trying to abort the order.
Over 60 dollar each and shipping to Sweden mayby 150

I'm shocked McMaster Carr would even agree to process your order. They stopped shipping to Canada several years ago except to existing (larger)(industrial/academic/government) type accounts. That was a sad day for me. Apparently the requisite customs paperwork was just too time consuming & expensive for them. Maybe Europe is different. On occasion I have gone through the back door through a USA friend or USA re-shipper service (McMaster even has credit card sniffers that will stop the transaction at checkout). Basically now I use other channels & go there as a last resort. MMC doesn't really 'make' anything, they a (huge) distributer for tools, materials, fasteners etc. But they carry so much, its nice 1-stop shopping. Americans are fortunate in this regard, but it's just not a great option for non-USA Joe modeller types..

There are plenty of N-Am tool stores that would carry this cutter, but as already mentioned its difficult to determine quality. The catalogs typically flag USA or a brand name. After that, it really depends. 'Foreign' can mean high anything from quality Euro or Japanese, good/medium quality Asian, or tuna can crap quality (typically mainland China.. but even that depends). Usually if you drop the tool rep an email with part number reference, they will at least attempt to help you. Sometimes ebay is the exact same thing.

Some tool companies
http://www.kbctools.ca/
http://www.mscdirect.com/
http://www.traverscanadacatalogs.com/

A Re-Shipper I use
http://reship.com/Default.aspx

Good German module gears, accept credit card & happily sent to me Canada (via courier only)
http://info.maedler.de/

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2015, 05:24:52 AM »
Look at this! A very nice way to do a single cutter. I will try it :D
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/making-gear-cutters.html

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2015, 06:16:34 AM »
Ove, just a thought on making the one cutter you need. You have a cutter but it's too big.

You could do similar to what's in your link in two steps. Make the first flycutter using your existing gear cutter which is too big. Then use this flycutter to make a second one that is the one you require.

If your imperial cutters are 14.5 degs pressure angle, the round button method as per your link needs additional relief for your required 16 tooth gear. For such a small gear the 14.5 deg results in the root diameter of the gear being less than the involute generating circle. That's why 14.5 degs has been largely superseded by 20degs. Doing it the way I suggest will make this nasty little issue magically disappear.

Alternatively make a flycutter for each of the two mating gears, but with 20degs pressure angle. Then you should be ok. I forget off the top of my head when 20degs cuts the involute generating circle, but it's way less than than where 14.5degs does.

What steel are you making the crank from? I used 1045 because I didn't want it to rust too easily but didn't want to mess about with drilling long holes and cutting gears in stainless. Using a flycutter in stainless could be challenging  :zap:

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:25:36 AM by swilliams »

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »
Steva I understand your Point using my big cutter to make a cutter but not all of the rest on my bad English :-[
I have make the shafts of some sort of Stainless fron old propellershafts from a boat.
It turns very nicely and dont seems very hard.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2015, 07:36:35 AM »
If you make it with the big cutter you don't need to worry about the rest ;)

If it works and cuts the stainless ok all is good.

Good luck :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal