Author Topic: 1/4 Scale SBC Engine Build  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Greg Haisley

1/4 Scale SBC Engine Build
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
Still in the design stage. About 90% done, still have some crank and cam work to finish up. Heads, valve train, water pump, oil pump, distributor and block are pretty much done. Some block work still to do though, IE distributer hole ect.. When I think I'm done I'm getting this 3D printed. Don't want to waste machine time.
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: 1/4 Scale SBC Engine Build
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
Very Nice 5XCNC! Everything looks real nice. The carbs look like Walbro's. If your interested I could help with a carb that would look a little more at home on the V8. Engine runs real well on the design.

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Greg Haisley

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
Steve,

That would be great! I like yours better, they look like the real Holley's, any drawings or models available?

I'm still in the design stage so modifying the intake won't take that long. I use Solidworks so it's just a matter of changing some sketches.

I was using the wabro carbs because I knew they would work.
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »
Hi Greg, that seems to be a very nice dry sump concept.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Greg Haisley

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
Thanks - all the dry sump ideas came from Dailey engineering on the web. He uses the roots rotors on the scavenge side, pinion gears for the pressure side and an oil pan with large fillets in the corners to help get the oil back to the scavenge pickup areas. Similar to the attached pic of a Dailey engineering oil pan.

I'm designing the air/oil separation tank now for the other side of the engine. Got to have good oil pressure. Will have to incorporate a check valve into the system for pressure adjustability and dump the extra back to the tank.

I've been tossing around in my head for the best way to keep main and rod bearings from spinning. I've come up with the idea of pressing a brass or ss tube into a counter bored hole in the block for the main bearings and in the rod bottom end for rod bearings. My rods have a hole from the rod bearing to the wrist pin. The bearings would have a clearance hole at the same location. So the oil can go thru this tubing or sleeve and also keep the bearings from spinning. Any other ideas for this application? I like using details for dual purpose if possible.
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
Greg!

I'm sorry but I shot my big mouth off before thinking. I sold the Demon engine rights and I don't know if I have the ability to send the carb drawings to you. I have the carb drawings separated and in a PDF file. I have always sent them out freely to anybody interested but as I never discussed anything like this with the new owner and don't feel comfy doing so.

With you drawing ability and the pictures I posted I'm sure you could whip one up. PM if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help you all I can.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Greg Haisley

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
No problem Steve. I designed the water pump from your pictures already. If I run into a problem I'll PM you.

Thanks
Cheers,
Greg Haisley

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal