Author Topic: My Cyclone Project  (Read 21416 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
My Cyclone Project
« on: November 01, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »
Thought y'all might like to see a few pics of where all my time has been going the past few months (probably not 8)). My father and I have been doing a amateur restoration on a 1966 Mercury Cyclone GT. The car was given to me in '76 by the original owner. The body is at the paint shop and I'm cleaning, rebuilding, and restoring everything that has been removed. We are hoping to be close to a Christmas time completion. It's kind of been fun, but, I sure have missed the modeling and yes Jo, I have kept the castings for the Red Wing laying where I have to look at them everyday (keeps me focused :lolb:). Well, here's a few pics.

E

A couple for George and Steve

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: My Cyclone Project
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »
Lovely car, when I saw the title of the thread I thought he's building a big round 9 cylinder one by Wright, but that's OK.  :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
She's coming around some since I saw it last my brother. Nice looking car bud and I bet your dad is enjoying it as well. Keep posting your progression I want to see the final piccy's.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »
Nice little project you have going on there Whiskey!  It's looking really good too...that real axle looks brand new!!  Please keep posting pictures so we can see the progress.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »
Looks a great project  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: For us non US members can you tell us a bit about the car, engine size, power, transmission etc?
Best regards

Roger

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
OOOOOH Red on white....Sweeeet!

My brother in law has a 70 Chevelle  SS   396 automatic with limited slip rear end...."Cherry Black" which is a VERY deep maroon and white leather interior....very sexy.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Chevelle#mediaviewer/File:70_Chevelle_SS396.jpg

Like this....though he ordered it without the hood stripe, and it has the 396 in it.   ( Actually 402 cu in)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »
Thanks guys for looking in.  The biggest thrill I'm getting out of this project is getting to work with my dad on an old car.  We've been doing it off and on for about 50 years and I'm only about to turn 55. Never had a problem with fractions in school,  just thought of them as wrench or drill sizes :lolb:. Roger, the engine is a 390 cubic inch, 335 horsepower,  big block Ford. Its designated as a GT motor due to the 10.5:1 compression ratio and the head design.  Trans is known as a "toploader four speed" and the rear end is a 9" Ford (like George Britnell and Steve Huck modeled). The body style was only made for 2 years and was very much the same as the Fairlane GT that wore the Ford badge. It has a fiberglass hood and "power nothing"i.E steering or brakes :lolb:. The rear package tray and hood was the only thing insulated was Motor Trend magazines' car of the year in '66 and the convertible was the Indy 500 pace car. I think around 13000 were made in those two years and only about 3000 in the color and option that I have.  It's kind of funny,  the cars don't bring a lot at auction.  Dave , as we say down here, sweet SheeeVell.  It'll bring double or more at auction than my car and I bet the production numbers are a lot higher.  It's the fickle old car market.  I'll keep y'all posted

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
Cletus, I see the seats sitting there too. Are you going to reupholster them or are they good as is?

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
That is looking spectacular. Cant wait to see it finished. Working with your Dad is a gift.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
Um....you may better keep the tutu pic from Dad though Cletus  :lolb:

Bill

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »
Stan, it is a special gift at this stage in my life.  Some of the old hot rodding stories I've heard forever,  some I actually remember happening, and now they will be with me for the rest of my life.  Bill, after this many years and being his only child (and the 70's ) I don't think much would surprise him :lolb: Oh yeah, the upholstery was done new about 20 years ago and has very little butt time, I'm hoping it cleans up.

Rev. Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 12:05:59 AM »
Cool project and nice work!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this Eric.

Dave

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »
It's a lovely car Eric, and worth the effort you are putting in.

Thanks for the photos.

Jim

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
Hi Eric
I did a bolt by bolt resto of a 2 door Monaro with a 350 years ago.
It really is a labour of love, something like this :praise2: :praise2:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal