Author Topic: Hemingway quick set Keats  (Read 13920 times)

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Hemingway quick set Keats
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
I picked up my Keats kit when I was in England and made a start today. This is my first attempt at making something from castings  ::)

As usual it is on the limit for my machines. By filling out the slots to fit the jaws on my 4 jaw chuck I could just clamp it. The books all say you should start with a deep cut on castings to get through the skin. I didn't think that this was rigid enough so used a carbide tipped tool and some hope  :headscratch: It seemed to work. In the end the faces were flat and parallel along the length, but tapered about 0.04mm across the width. I would like to improve this, but suspect I should wait and see if the casting relaxes a bit after it has been machined. Is this likely?

Milling the first slot went ok. I am using a 10mm cutter at 560rpm and increased the depth in 1mm steps. Does this sound reasonable?

I will hopefully finish the base tomorrow and start working out how to hold the V block.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:58:41 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Hemingway quick set Keats
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
A few more steps. Holding the V block for the first cut was quite difficult as nothing was very flat or parallel. Once one face was reasonable I could get a good fixture. The first results were not as parallel as expected (~0.1mm in 70mm error  :( ). On further checking it appears that the top of the cross slide is not parallel with the bed (~0.1 mm in 60mm error) and I must have put the block in the 'wrong way' round. As I now know the problem I can clock the components against the bed and compensate  ::) I think  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:24:10 AM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
By cleaning and adjusting the gib I reduced the error to ~0.05mm in 60mm, but the residual error seems to be in the thickness of the crossslide. I will have to see if I can correct this  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:08:14 PM »
Roger, Yet again you choose to make something massive on what I considered a small lathe. Most impressive  :NotWorthy:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:28:42 AM »
Hi Roger, I am following with massive interest. This kit is also on my wish list.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
As to your lathe alignment.    That surface isn't as important as the flay ways on the dovetail.     Additionally the surface of the mill table should be parallel to the lathe ways.   

You could shim the part to account for the tilt.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
Thank you for the comments. I already have a 'normal' Keats (as from RDG, RC etc.) but it is just too big for this lathe. It was very useful on my 90mm center height Chinese machine.

In looking for something smaller I found this from Hemingway. The two castings also appear to be available from College Engineering Supplies.

http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/KeatsAngles.htm

The drawings and instructions need careful study as there have been some problems where it has been converted to metric fasteners, for example a 3/16" slot for an M5 thread.

I need to study the lathe cross slide more closely. A quick check last night suggests that the flat surfaces on the carriage are true to the bed, the milling table I bolt to the cross slide is also flat and parallel (checked with a 0.01mm DTI not my new 1 micron one  :) ) so the problem appears to be in the cross slide itself. As a first shot I will take it apart and check it on the surface plate.
Best regards

Roger

Arbalest

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
Nice job.  :ThumbsUp: Looking forward to seeing how you approach the Vee cutting.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
I checked the cross slide last night and it also appears flat and parallel to ~0.02mm. When I put it all back together the variation is around 0.05mm across the width of the cross slide but I don't see where it is coming from   ::)

I have been think about how to mill the V. One option is to use the tilting head on the mill, the other is a set up with V blocks. I am tending towards the V blocks at present, but I will need to add some stops to avoid the V blocks moving. Needs more thought   :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Online sco

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »
I may be wrong but that looks like the load line is outside the Vee of the Vee block so I don't think will work.

I would be thinking about machining the Vee first and then squaring the other surfaces up to it.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Drill a pair of holes parallel to the "V" and put pins in that are pressed into the milling straps.   That way you can grip is far lower!    That set up looks scary to me!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Arbalest

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
I milled a quick V jig for woodworking tool sharpening. I set the block up on the mill at work and cut the V with a 3/4" cutter. I didn't measure the angle when it was finished but it sure wasn't 90°, more like 92° maybe more. It didn't matter for my purpose, it was only to support spindle gouges for sharpening. I would though like to see the right way of getting a perfect 90° V.  :naughty:

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
Drill a pair of holes parallel to the "V" and put pins in that are pressed into the milling straps.   That way you can grip is far lower!    That set up looks scary to me!

Dave

There need to be two M5 clearance holes in one end. I could put them in both ends and clamp as you suggest. That's the advantage of the forum you post a problem and get ideas back  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »

Dave

There need to be two M5 clearance holes in one end. I could put them in both ends and clamp as you suggest. That's the advantage of the forum you post a problem and get ideas back  :)

There ya go!....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
I squared up the other two faces. They had the steepest lead so I could not get through the skin in one cut, but it didn't seem to cause problems.

I decided that the best way to cut the V would be only the use the end of the end mill, turning the block round to cut each face. This would leave a small ridge at the bottom which would be cut away with the final slot. I clocked a solid fence on the table to keep the V blocks aligned and turned the block round for each cut, keeping the depth the same. That all seemed to work well and the V is 90° as far as I can tell with my square.

When I changed the speed for the final 2mm slot I found I had left the mill at 1100 rpm from cutting the slots in the base  :Doh: I may have got a better finish at 560 rpm  :facepalm:

Next step cut the locating slot and then clean up ready to cut the steel components.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal