Author Topic: another Snow engine  (Read 157731 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: another Snow engine
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
Hi Achim, just catching up on your built because some how I missed it. I just love the work you did on the flywheel a very nice bit of engineering and that came out great from what I see. I will be following you as you progress.  :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:

Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Love chequered tiles.  I was thinking of the same pattern of my Corliss.  Most probably I will try a different method.  I will either make a commercial sticker with the pattern or they told me that they can even print direct onto the aluminum base.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »
I like it Achim...will make a fine looking base for the Snow.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 01:26:02 AM »
I too love the look of the checkered tile floor. Some day I hope to build an engine worthy of this treatment.
I'm curious to watch how this progresses.

Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »
Don, Vince, Bill and Dave, thanks for encourage me and the friendly words. The progress will need some time, because shop time is rare at the moment.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »
Hi Everybody, nothing special today, only some small progress with the base for the crankshaft / flywheel bearings.
Starting by a lump of aluminum, oops a broken drill, no real problem was easy possible to drill a hole from the other side and knock him out, some swarf and some more swarf.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:30:19 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
Lots of swarf.  Could hardly see the rotary table in one of the photos.

Vince
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:36:32 AM by vcutajar »

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 03:17:15 AM »
Yes, lots of swarf. I just bought a small hand held rechargeable vacuum for dealing with that, it works. Hugh.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:38 AM »
Glad to see you got back in the workshop  :) .
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 06:33:13 AM »
Hi everybody, some more little progress with this project. After seeing some pictures and videos of this engine in the net, I have made the decision to make there an additional bearing for the crankshaft. Next step was to make the the big plate where the main components of these engine are assembled. My mill has already 480 mm travelling in x direction, but for this plate not enough. So I had to change my set up several times. If have modified the original design a bit, I will explain the reason later. Now I have been first time in the position to bolt two parts together. Next step will be to finalize the extra bearing support and than I will start with the wooden main plate. Target is, to get everything already in the right position in accordance to my tiling grid.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:39:06 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline ReFlad

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
Nice work.  Looking forward to the rest!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
Achim glad to see you back to making progress. The snow is on my list of engines to build. So I will be taking notes my friend.

8)
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 12:29:14 AM »
I saw Doug Kelley at our show this weekend. He now has his roughly 60% version of his original Snow running, but unfortunately it wasn't one of the models her brought this year. These are mesmerizing engines to see running. Nice to see your progress Achim!!

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
Nice work.  Looking forward to the rest!
Hi ReFlad, thanks for commenting. The "rest" will take some time.

Achim glad to see you back to making progress. The snow is on my list of engines to build. So I will be taking notes my friend.

8)
Don

Hi Don, o.k. take some notes but be aware of my failures. I have get my wooden base last weekend, may be I will have some time to prepare it tomorrow. I am also just preparing my first home made sandblasting box.

I saw Doug Kelley at our show this weekend. He now has his roughly 60% version of his original Snow running, but unfortunately it wasn't one of the models her brought this year. These are mesmerizing engines to see running. Nice to see your progress Achim!!

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for commenting. I have started also some efforts to copy this mesmerizing effect. Basic is sure the possibility to get it run in low revs. One thing I have already done, was to increase the diameter of the flywheel. My one is 240 mm, so I hope to store some more energy in the bigger mass. Of course the mixture control will be the main thing to get it run slowly. 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:34:24 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »
Still following along and enjoying  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Maybe one day I'll get to München and see it working  :)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal