Author Topic: Spinster  (Read 179590 times)

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Spinster
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »
Carl,

Yes, my apologies for the hijack.  What can I say? I'm descended from a long line of robber barons.

The first step when working in the shop is to turn on the lights before taking pictures.  After turning on the lights, assume the lotus position and intone the mantra...

Never remove a part from its parent stock until absolutely necessary.

"CRAPTITUDE"  I love it.  Your inventiveness with the language is astounding.  You should consider a career writing advertising scripts for as-seen-on-tv products.  Adult diapers spring instantly to mind.

"If I'm too far off there won't be enough 'side' to the part."  It just gets better...

Realization #4: I haven't realized everything."  and better.

Seriously (what, me?), it's great to see you getting back into harness.  You remember how this goes...  Hours of frustration and annoyance followed by one brief moment of satisfaction.  (Reminds me of my high school love life.) 

"Don't let the geezers keep you away."  I'll try to stay under my bridge.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:08 AM »
Thanks Marv.
I needed that. Really.

Ah...'Never remove a part from its parent stock...'
I can always count on you Marv.
I do keep that mantra in mind...sometimes after the fact.
But I'd like to get these kids out of the house.

As for adult diapers...I admit I've been paying more attention to those commercials. Gotta prepare for what the future may bring.

You're absolutely right...that brief moment of satisfaction is well worth the hours of frustration.

But drat...now you've got me thinking of high school again and the many...many...many...hours of frustration. Many. Hm...trying to remember those moments of satisfaction. Yes! I remember one.

Get out from under the bridge. You'll turn into a troll.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 02:36:30 AM »
Good to see you Dave and Frazer.
Don't let the geezers keep you away. 

Naaah   Marv don't scare me much....he's been giving me spelling lessons......He duz a grate jowb! :Jester:

Dave
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:02:38 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 03:16:38 AM »
But hey...I touched my machines!
This is the best bit of all.  :)

Then it was time to mount the rotary table (a little too early as it turns out). This is how I did it...

That's a good way to center up your RT, Carl.  Something faster, and accurate for a good bit of your work,
is to make a plug that will fit the RT bore, and also have a concentric stub coming out of the top part of the
plug that you can mount in a mill collet.  Then put the two together and bolt down the RT on the mill table.
An easy way to make the plug is to get a soft MT center to fit your RT and turn down the top part for the
shank that will fit into the mill spindle.
I know you are short on shop time.  That's just something for later.  Then, when you find you have
mounted the RT to your mill too soon, and don't want to take it off because you don't want to re-center
it, it's a non-issue.

I found a Mac program to resize the pictures (but they didn't warn me it had a time limit!). Looking for a different freebie to do that as well as to adjust brightness.

The software for your camera usually has a photo editor of some sort.
Maybe you could make your pics a little larger, next time.  They're pretty small.

Realization #2: Once done I have to drill the center hole to the correct diameter. But there's a hole already there and the drill will probably follow that.

Can you bore it?  The boring bar won't care if the starter hole is off center.

Milling the flat spot had no issues.

:ThumbsUp:    :)    There's always a silver lining.

Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 04:10:32 AM »
Hi Dean,

Pictures kind of small? I've been converting them to 320x200. They don't look so small on my screen. I'll try to show some different sizes next time and see what you think. Odd.

I think I understand what you're saying about mounting the RT. Something that mounts to the spindle and fits the RT...and when you bring the spindle down...it basically centers the RT for you? That would be excellent. Thanks! Took me over a half hour to center the thing.

The software that came with the camera is pretty basic. Just a download and browse function. Nothing to edit, modify, or resize. Seemed kind of strange seeing that it's a Canon. One would think the manufacturer would want to give you cool tools. But maybe there's some more stuff from their site.

Bore the hole? I suppose it's possible. But it's only 5/32 diameter. That would mean making my own cutter. Gasp! That brings up some memories!  :Lol:

"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 04:17:32 AM »
Been waiting for someone to suggest a name for my shop...
This thread has given me some ideas...

'crap-shop' comes to mind.  :ROFL:

And it's not all my crap.  ;D

But it's all good.
"To work. To work."

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 05:58:37 AM »

'crap-shop' comes to mind. 

No, man!  Something fun, and nice.  Like "Jelly Jar Engineering" or "The Squash-Works".
All the stuff I wrote here about "crap" was just silly talk, you know.  ;)

About the pictures;  On my screen, which is set to 1280 x 800, your pics show up as 2.5" x 2".  They look
pretty small.  Maybe my screen res is set higher than other folks.
When I put pictures up, do they look really big to you?  I size mine to show up as 6x4 or 7x5 inches on
my screen.

I'm sending you a PM about a photo-editor I have.

DW
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »
 ;D What a lovely way to start a morning!

Carl's been in the shop and is as fascinating as ever :ThumbsUp:

Then to find a good bit of banter going on - have to clean the coffee off my keyboard now.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
Hey, you!  Zeep-meister!  (I've always wanted to do that)

In order to center a rotary table, I use a large bull nosed center.  It's MT3, which fits in the spindle of the mill.  I carefully lower it into the center hole of the RT, and that gets it pretty near perfect.  Note that you might have to bore out the center hole so it is concentric with the axis of rotation, which is not necessarily the center of the table.  Quick and dirty, but it serves for most of my efforts.

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »
I run standard HD resolution (1920 X 1280) on my monitor, the pics are kinda dinky.  :o

Zee, you keep the Windows machine off the net, eh? Is that because of viruses? I think in 32 years of computing (yes, the TRS-80), I may have had one, maybe two viruses and neither of those did any harm. Of course, I don't know where you like to surf when away from this forum.  :Jester:

-Trout

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »
+1 on the cone used to rough center the RT for all but the most demanding jobs.  Snug the RT hold down bolts and let the cone push the RT into alignment, then tighten hold-downs.

The pictures look tiny to me too.  As a reference point, I size mine to 800 x 600 before uploading to Photobucket.  IMO, anything smaller than 640 x 480 is too small.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the pics all.

Arnold...hope the keyboard is okay. Don't drink and read.

Dean...thanks. I'll take a look at it soon.

rleete...thanks.

Trout...you may be better protected than I. It's an old laptop and I haven't bothered to refresh the anti-virus stuff.

"To work. To work."

Offline gjn

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
Zee

If you are after free image processing software to run on your Mac platform you could try GIMP. It may be overkill for what you need to do but it will do just about anything Photoshop will do, it's open source and therefore free to use. www.gimp.org/

Rgds - Gavin

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 12:14:40 AM »
Thanks Gavin!  :ThumbsUp:

I have Gimp. Didn't even think about it. I had gotten it a while back when I was fooling around with iPhone apps.

Took it for a quick spin and yes...looks like it has everything I want.
Thanks again.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Some of you would call this 'a disaster'.
I call it 'coming home'.  ;D A comfortable place when what happens is as expected.

Some of you knew this was going to happen.
Thank you for allowing me to stumble.  ;D Stubbing a toe is a quick teacher to watch where you go.
(Unless there's a potential safety issue - then yell at me!.)

As you may recall, I had misgivings about clamping the part down onto tape. Rather, about clamping the part down at one point (the pivot point! ha!). Ah yes...snicker away my friends...snicker away. A bigger laugh is on the way.

I began by (mis)understanding the cutting path. Here's a pic...

The line is 1/32 away from the desired profile (using a 1/16 end mill).
Cutting from the right, the critical dimension is the distance from center before rotating the part.

Ah yes. Rotating the part. Aside from the nagging suspicion that the part wouldn't hold still and, at best, I'd see chatter along the cut, something bothered me about rotating the part. This was reinforced when I went to the mill wondering why I only needed to move the Y axis in one direction.

This was further reinforced by the memory that whether the nagging comes from inside (or via the ears...you know what I mean)...one should listen.

As I placed the end mill I was also concerned that the shank of the end-mill would hit the top of the bolt (the end-mill expands from 1/16 to 3/16).

The last concern I had was that it didn't appear the part was wide enough. This just couldn't be the case. The blank is 0.25 wide and I was cutting it to 7/32. Oh.  :facepalm:

And so all came to pass...

Chatter...
Didn't even touch the middle...
Rotated too far. I saw that that was going to happen...but at that point it became a different kind of fun to keep going. (By the way, I had used a paper model to practice. I don't practice too well do I?)

Shank didn't touch the bolt!  :whoohoo:

I made a spare blank!  :whoohoo:
The blank's not wide enough.  :facepalm:

Time to celebrate  :cheers:
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal