Author Topic: Web Site Suggestion?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
Web Site Suggestion?
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:05:04 AM »
Hello,

I'm looking to start my own web site for the things I make. There are lots of different build your own web site places out there, but looking to weed through some of them if any body could point me in the right direction. We need our own domian name, and ease of adding new stuff as I make it. Don't need to do any sales over it, just contact info and info on our products.

thanks,
Matt

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
Re: Web Site Suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 03:11:12 AM »
Hi Matt, I have been a web site developer since it all started many years ago.
I do have a favorite host site.  If you go to me web page, just click on the blue link on the lower right.  (I represent their services)  It is Lunar Pages and I have been recommending and doing business with them since they went into business more than 10 years ago.  They will register your Domain name free with sign up for their services.  Is a good deal!

For web building software, I have a little knows company that I really like.  It is called NAMO.
Here is their link:  http://www.namo.com/main/   I am using their WebEditor9.  I think it is head and shoulders above all the rest, including Microsoft's, and it does everything without having to buy any extras.  A side note, I was on their development test team when they came out with WebEditor1, many years ago.  Saw the program go from almost nothing to a full blown application.

You can download a full working copy and I think they give you a 60 day trial.

Hope this helps,
George

Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
Thanks George. I can't find a link to your site though.

Matt

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
My site is at: http://www.mrrace.com
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
My advice: If you want control over over the look and feel of your website and don't want to wait for your mouse to return control to you after every time you click it, stay away from the web-based design programs and get your own stand-alone version. There are always bugs galore and high levels of dissatisfaction associated with the online type of design service. Yes, there will be a learning curve associated with the stand-alone type but I would rather be learning about web site design basics than spending my time learning about how to get the online programs to work properly. Believe me, my wife has tried a lot of them and I have been in the middle trying to get them to work properly for her. Finally, I convinced her to forget about the online versions and try a stand-alone. She is very happy she did because now her website looks exactly the way she envisioned.

It doesn't cost much to get your own program. You might start by looking at Site Spinner's website: http://www.virtualmechanics.com/    Hard to go wrong for 49 bucks and this program has a lot of features. My wife uses it for her website. I use Dreamweaver but that one is not cheap. 

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:22 PM »
Gotta second George's recommendation for Namo. I've used it since it first came out, for some pretty high end commercial site work. It's intuitive, right out of the box, but it allows customization of the tool panels that lets you fit it perfectly to your work style and skill levels. I'm still using version 6 but probably need to go over and see what's been refined since then. It has always run circles around several much more expensive and highly touted editing programs that I've owned along the way.

George...
It's one of those rare pieces of software that not only does what it claims, but also shows that the build team had a clue as to what it was trying to create. Always wanted the chance to say thanks to someone from the development team, so please accept my personal accolades, for the team, for a job well done. Do you still do the testing?

I've used OLM.net for hosting for about 12 years.  Inexpensive, highly dependable, lots of space and bandwidth, plenty of features you can add and nearly zero down time over the years. If you do decide to go with an online store, "Mal's Ecommerce" is free, very flexible, easy as heck to use and has very good secure servers. Simply the most adaptable and user friendly services of its kind I've ever used.

Not associated with any of the companies mentioned here.... just one very seriously satisfied user of their products and services.
Steve

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:06 AM »
Thanks Guy's!

I need to get something out there quick for people wanting to see a few pictures of my stuff and a place to add new things as I make them. So for now I just did a quick and dirty site, til I have more time to learn and more things to add in.

http://www.midwestprocad.com/

Matt

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:23 AM »
Steve:
My involvement ended with NAMO when NAMO4 was completed.  At the time i was working for Albion College doing Web Development.  That is a lot of years back!  I got involved with their first commercial release, that had a lot of bugs.  After making many suggestions they ask me to join the development team.  There are quite a few little things that are still in the current version that I had a hand it putting together and making work.  With version 4 being a really solid and substantial web building platform, the original product designer/producer, sold out to another company, and SJ NAMO was born in the next version.  I was not ask to continue as part of the team.
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
Sounds a lot like my involvement with a company called "Ulead" that produced a pretty cool graphics suite by the name of PhotoImpact. I worked as head of their beta testing teams and later as the lead on their alpha testing. It was something of a love hate relationship in that I wouldn't pull any punches when something wasn't quite right. The programmers often mentioned my name with many sentence enhancers, but the marketing guys loved me because the program was usually bug free when they had to sell it.

I was able to show them that their $99.00 product could do everything Photoshop could do and do it easier. The only problem was that in the early 1990's Ulead sold Adobe the rights to use something they had developed, called CMYK color, which became the printing industry standard. Their non-compete agreement kept them from using their own discovery and relegated them to a second tier position.

Corel bought them a while back and still offers the software, but I wasn't invited to make the transition.  Miss the free software, but don't miss all the cat herding it took to watch over all the "artistic personalities" of the test teams.

Haven't done many sites since 9/11. Lost a lot of client work that day and when they came back the good money days were pretty much over. Too many freebie cookie cutter options for custom site work to be all that attractive.
Steve

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
I've been a fan of Ulead since they first came out with a video making program back in the 90's. Seems they have always given a lot of bang for the buck. Now I use Corel's Video Studio which I notice is developed by Ulead. It also gives a lot of bang for the buck. I've got a few years in with Adobe Premiere ($600) and for $49 Corel's Video Studio gives it a run for its money, at least for home movie use.

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:23 AM »
Steve, Ulead made a lot of my favorite products while I was at Albion College.
Looking back at my 2006 backup files on DVD,(Which I brought home when I retired) I find the following Ulead products.
Smart Saver Pro
PhotoImpact 6
Cool 3D Production Studio
BurnNow 1.5
Photo Impact 11
GIF Animator
GIF X PlugIn
Menu Applet

And a bunch more!  My favorite, and I still use it from time is 3D Production Studio.  Great product!
Small world we live in!
Nice to run into all you guys with a completely different interest in mind.
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal