Author Topic: Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 88967 times)

Offline Chipmaster

Re: Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #495 on: August 15, 2022, 09:53:02 PM »
The engine was driven by an electric motor for about ten hours over the weekend to bed in the piston rings. If I put my hand over the ports on the cylinder valve face the sucking and blowing seemed pretty good and the engine turns over quite easily.
The next stage was to reassemble and time the valve gear.

S Major 1667 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

S Major 1668 (2) by Andy, on Flickr

I haven't used any gaskets so far, I'm relying on Wellseal which is easy to take apart should the need arise.

Andy

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #496 on: August 16, 2022, 08:22:09 AM »
Great progress towards seeing your engine finally completed Andy:  looking marvellous.  Understand completely your exasperation with the parallel motion and its mass of tiny pieces, I have kept my assembly as one "lump" all together while the engine languishes forever in the "paint shop", the brasses and other bits are too small to try and mark individually.  I will try and do a once and for all reassembly on the engine when the time comes...   ( On the brighter side, have just made all of the ball-ended lever handles for my Quorn grinder, another 75% done, long term "lurker" !)  Dave

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #497 on: August 16, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »
Hello Andy,

I have had good experience with cardboard/paper (0.2 - 0.3 mm thick).
Then coated with a mixture of steam oil and graphite for operation under steam. That always worked well and was tight.
But that makes beautiful black fingernails 😏

Michael

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #498 on: August 16, 2022, 08:54:10 PM »
Hi Michael, I am using gaskets between the pipe flanges, jointing compound would be messy in those locations.

S Major 1669 by Andy, on Flickr

This is my gasket cutting kit,

S Major 1671 by Andy, on Flickr

Years ago at the 1,000 Engine Rally in Cheshire I bought the tools for cutting holes from a Dutch trader. They have been very useful although I don't know what their real purpose was, perhaps for cutting holes in corks in a laboratory?

S Major 1672 by Andy, on Flickr

The engine is almost ready to test on compressed air.

S Major 1673 by Andy, on Flickr

S Major 1675 by Andy, on Flickr

S Major 1676 by Andy, on Flickr

Andy

« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:21:37 PM by Chipmaster »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #499 on: August 16, 2022, 09:05:47 PM »
Those are known as cork borers, originally for punching holes in cork or rubber stoppers for pipettes, now common as general gasket/etc hole punches.

Great looking assemblies!   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2022, 09:17:20 PM »
Thanks for confirming that Crueby, now I see them for sale on the Internet. :ThumbsUp:

Andy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:21:17 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #501 on: August 17, 2022, 11:17:26 AM »
It works  :ThumbsUp:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIffSPzvuI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIffSPzvuI</a>

I couldn't resist trying it out with compressed air last night, I'm very pleased that the engine ran straight away. However, it's not finished yet, the slide valve, particularly the timing need adjustment and the bearings at the top of the connecting rod are too slack hence knocking. Strange because the bearings were ok when it was driven by an electric motor. The governor hasn't been refitted because it gets in the way when making adjustments to the eccentric / valve timing. At the moment the piston is certainly double acting but the exhaust only chuffs at one end of the stroke.

Exasperation with the Parallel Motion is an understatement Dave, I tried to keep mine in 'one lump' as much as possible but those pesky little split bearings kept escaping.

Andy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #502 on: August 17, 2022, 12:07:55 PM »
Even if it isn't quite there yet - it's good to see it run again  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #503 on: August 17, 2022, 12:22:21 PM »
Thanks Per, it is a relief too.

Andy

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #504 on: August 17, 2022, 04:26:52 PM »
It runs nice and slowly, that's for sure.  I'm sure you'll get it running the way you want soon!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #505 on: August 17, 2022, 04:45:09 PM »
It works  :ThumbsUp:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIffSPzvuI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xIffSPzvuI</a>

I couldn't resist trying it out with compressed air last night, I'm very pleased that the engine ran straight away. However, it's not finished yet, the slide valve, particularly the timing need adjustment and the bearings at the top of the connecting rod are too slack hence knocking. Strange because the bearings were ok when it was driven by an electric motor. The governor hasn't been refitted because it gets in the way when making adjustments to the eccentric / valve timing. At the moment the piston is certainly double acting but the exhaust only chuffs at one end of the stroke.

Exasperation with the Parallel Motion is an understatement Dave, I tried to keep mine in 'one lump' as much as possible but those pesky little split bearings kept escaping.

Andy

I had they same 'knocking' on mine. It was the change in direction of force that showed up the slack in the bearing box. A slight increase in the packing piece thickness and all was OK!
I ended up using some heavy grease to keep the split bearings in during assembly!
Looking great by the way.
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #506 on: August 17, 2022, 08:34:07 PM »
Hi John, I’ll have a look at those con rod bearings later tomorrow. Packing might solve the issue or  I may need to close up the bearing halves with a bit of judicious filing.

Andy

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #507 on: August 17, 2022, 09:01:56 PM »
Hello Andy,

a silky smooth run! I congratulate you on your success.
It is always amazing how a minimal bearing play makes itself felt so loudly. This is also due to the wooden base. It looks like a guitar case.

I re-watched your full report from the beginning, amazingly good work and precision.

Cheers Michael

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #508 on: August 18, 2022, 08:37:03 AM »
Oddly, the video is silent when I play it, even though I've checked that I haven't got 'mute' engaged. Does make for lovely quiet running with no knocking though!. Beam engines are so elegant don't you think!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #509 on: August 18, 2022, 08:45:44 AM »
Excellent initial running on the air, must have been quite an exciting moment to see the beam engine spring to life like that .  Looking at your nice detail photos a bit earlier in the list, the Major does make for a spectacular display piece.  When the governor and the pump rod go back on, there will be that much more as well.
 There is so much of interest to look at, in the contrast of the steel, brass and copper along with the grey paintwork, and the complexity of the component shapes with their decorative flourishes.  Though they are not too easy to make, the effect of the fish-bellied rods and proper oval turned ends, and all the gibs and cotters and other refinements of component shapes pay big dividends in the pleasure of what there is to contemplate visually about the engine.   Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal