Author Topic: What does it do?  (Read 12468 times)

Online Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
What does it do?
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »
 What does it do?

A familiar question.  Having poured blood, sweat, and brain cells, over a period of days, weeks, months or years into a project, you show it to someone and instead of any sort of appreciation of your skill and dedication, the response is “What does it do?”  I have come to the conclusion that there is no adequate answer to this question. You have probably worked out your own witty or sarcastic answer...I know I have, but even my best efforts leave me wondering about the lack of understanding.  Maybe I haven't understood the question.

I have been an amateur machinist for just a few years and I certainly don't produce the jaw dropping masterpieces that many of you do, but I would bet that even you grand masters have faced this question more than once.  I have faced it so often that I have exhausted my ability to craft an answer.  The closest I have come to a sincere answer is “It gives me satisfaction.”  I am rethinking that answer.  If I get such satisfaction, why am I so often dissatisfied with the results?  Why do I settle for imperfect parts by telling myself that perfection will come? Maybe it is not that satisfying after all. Maybe it is just a way of passing time without having to deal with the real world.

It does pass time.  I can go into the shop in the morning and emerge in the late afternoon and another has passed.  One day is much like any other but mostly the time moves very quickly.  Planning and problem solving have a way of requiring full attention.  Operation of power tools also require full attention even to ignoring the clock.  There are no windows in my shop for just that reason.  I admit that I can be obsessed with some things like this and that may not be healthy. Why should I be happy about speeding up the passage of time?  I will be 76 years old this summer and have no pressing health issues but I have to recognize my allotted number of days is not infinite.  I have looked at and rejected some projects because of the possibility of not having enough time to finish it.  I might be better off not letting these days pass so quickly.

If this is beginning to sound like I need some counseling, I would agree.  The problem is in finding a counselor.  One of the basic tenets of modern psychoanalysis is that “The fee is an integral part of the treatment” or in other words, you can not gain a better understanding of yourself or of your surroundings or the meaning of life without paying for it with dollars and that causes my “Bullsh@t Meter” to light up.  What a racket.  What is the difference between “counselor” and “consultant” except that the “counselor” has no responsibility for a solution to the problem. And what is this crap about a “50 minute hour” except that it is pretty darned hard for the counselor to maintain a blank,  non-judgemental expression for more than 50 minutes.  A counselor never answers a question directly.  Instead, the question is turned back to you as “What do you think that means?” or passed over with a wrinkled brow and an all-knowing “Hmmmm”, with maybe a nod thrown in.

That does not sound like a game I have time for.  Self analysis might be a possibility but not having the ability to stay focused without   a framework, I decided that I need a guide.  I need a guide whose manner and demeanor  can encourage me to talk openly and without reservation and can help me to understand what is important and what is a waste of time and energy … a guide that can help me find the questions, not the answers … a guide will be able to listen to my rambling for a full 60 minutes every hour for as long as I feel like talking, and never interrupt.

I found him last fall, sleeping under my shed.   I wasn't sleeping under my shed.  He was.  I had known him for a while and admired his ability to deal with life's adversity.  He is much younger than I but is in much poorer health. He suffers from a deformed spine.  I don't know if it is from a birth defect, an accident, or arthritis.  He never talks about it.  In fact, he acts as if the defect does not exist at all, even though he is not able to walk up or down a steep flight of stairs and needs to be lifted into or out of the car.  I began to understand the depth of his wisdom one morning, as I lifted him into the car.  I asked him if he ever felt that life had been unfair to him. It was the first serious question that I had ever asked him. His answer was a revelation. 

Here is his answer:

This answer, with all of its obvious wisdom and tolerance, helped me to realize how ridiculous and demeaning that question was.  For the past few months, I have been working with my guide to find ever more meaningful questions. The answers come easily, once I have found the right question, which of course lead to ever more meaningful questions.  But his response is always the same …

I may be doing this for a while. He is very happy to give me all of the time that I want.  It is very satisfying. All shop work is on indefinite hold.

Jerry

PS:

In spite of  how it may seem, I am healthy, happy, and living at home without restraints.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: What does it do?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »
Welcome back Jerry, I we have missed you. Sometimes we all need to take time out and reflect  ;)

Don't worry about feeling you need to be making something of your own: your contribution to my threads and no doubt others is always welcome  8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Graham G

• NZ
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
Hey there Jerry, just you hang in there with your new offsider, you are right in your thinking, he is an absolute mine of unconditional compassion and understanding and will reward you with a fresh approach to the problems that are concerning you and best of all you have a new bestie to chew the fat with, second thoughts, let him chew the fat (ha ha).
I lost my shadow last October and it still feels like yesterday dammit, he was a boxer that lived with us for 13 years and never complained once.
Yup I miss him like hell
Keep up the good work young fella.
 ;D

Offline Graham G

• NZ
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:28:46 AM »
P.S. Who the hell gives a sh-t what it does, YOU made it and that's enough for me  :slap:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:55:13 AM »
What does swarf do? It gives me that idication that I am alive and have been doing something. Sometimes it is an indication of that warm feeling of success, other times of fustration, that will shortly one day turn into success  ;).

In the long term engines appear, sometimes they fit together (for better or worse) and on the (very) odd occasion I get a runner. I see other people staring out of the window watching the clouds go by. I don't understand them, it is like sunbathing, after 5 miniutes I get bored I need to be doing something, making something, keeping my brain active. It might not do anything but it has a purpose  :whoohoo:

As someone once said to me: I haven't got time to die just yet I have too many engines still to make  8).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »
Looks like you've found sn excellent guide Jerry - ONYA!  :ThumbsUp:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
Jerry, good to see you back, I had asked about you just awhile back. When people ask me I tell them it is a "mental exercise utilizing metal". I'm with you on the guide. I have DOG. I picked him out of the litter because of his beautiful eyes and perfect ears. At six months old he lost an eye to the rear hoof of a stud colt, and last month developed a hematoma in one ear and now due to scar tissue it is crinkled. He doesn't let it bother him one bit, just wags his tail, gives me support, and the occasional wet one. He is my inspiration to just "suck it up" and be happy with the cards life deals me. Great to see you back. Now, get on back on a project and let us follow along, we know what "it" does ;)

Whiskey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
I am healthy, happy, and living at home without restraints.

:ThumbsUp:

Good to see you again Jerry. Don't be a stranger.
Tell your buddy 'hi' for us.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
Welcome back Jerry. I have no doubts but that your new guide will be of infinitely more help that the 50 minute ones who only think they know it all!!  Great picture btw :)

Bill

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
Good to see you again Captain.

What does it do?  Anyone who has to ask that question will never understand any answer that you give them.  No different than an artist who does a painting.  The painting serves no useful purpose other than to make the artist happy and to bring enjoyment to those who understand it and can appreciate it.  Golf is an acceptable hobby but what does it do.  Giving the player some physical exercise with a little bit of mental exercise is the only lasting value.  Model engineering is in the same class except the exercise is far more mental than physical.  And unlike golf, something is created that will probably out last us.  I don't have any use for golf and most golfers don't understand model engineering. But each can fill a need for some types of individual.

The best definition that I know of an Engineer is "some one who turns dreams in to reality".  This is particularly true for model engineers who not only create the design on paper but ultimately create a finished item.  Don't worry about it not being perfect.  I have never know an engineer who created something who did not say "It would have been better if I had done .......".  A design is never done.  I believe that it one of the CEO's of an auto manufacturing company that said "There comes a time to shoot the engineer and go into production.".

As far as creating the design, even if you work from someone's plan do you know of any model engineer who has strictly followed the plans.  There is always the individual touch.  Some times dictated by available material, tools or developing skills.  Some times just for the hell of it to be different.

So I go back to my original premise.  Anyone who has to ask that question will never understand any answer that you give them. So don't worry about it.  Any answer will do just to be polite.

As far as shop buddies go I have frequently mentioned "Coot", my shop dog.  Our situations are reversed.  Coot's health is much better than mine. He tolerates my limitations and I take advantage of him in that respect.  Just as I take advantage of the forum members who tolerate me. Since you have been away, you might enjoy the thread on him at:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3338.0.html

You and I are near the same age so have similar problems.  It has been proved many times that people with pets live longer than those without.  But even it that were not true then, at least for me, the quality of life is much better. Many days he is the only other living thing that I can interact with.

Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
Jerry,

Perhaps what is needed is to develop an expression of compassionate silence to bestow on the questioner. Certainly Gail is right that anyone who asks such a question won't really understand any answer you can make so the best you can do is to quietly pity them.

Alan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
I go by how I'm asked.

Some people ask in a way that shows disdain. Or they ask because they feel it's expected of them.
Others ask because, they want to indicate their interest (maybe just to make you feel good), but can't come up with a 'good' question.
Still others ask because they really have no idea what it is or what to ask.

I take most of these as an opportunity to teach, for me to learn, and an opportunity to build a relationship.

It's hard to come up with good questions on a subject you know nothing about. But that's not to say they don't want to share or make you feel worthwhile. (It may not be the engine that interests them...they may be using the question as an introduction.)

As for the 1st case...doesn't happen that often. I don't show my goodies to people that won't appreciate it anyway.

And whenever there's a chance I may offend the innocent in fencing off a group of people...I'll keep the fence down.
It doesn't cost me anything. Offending the innocent has a cost.

Now...if I could just get better at listening to myself.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:03 AM »
Welcome back Captain Jerry, we do miss you threads. As for your companion you have a friend till they die. They can be kick, beat and abused, but they will always be loyal to the end. They will listen to your every word and love you no matter what.
Not that I condone such acts and how people could do that to such helpless creatures. Good to see you back.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:50:45 AM »
OK.....heh....What does it do?! :lolb:

Jerry....buddy....you pose that to a guy who built a freakin steam launch?......Do you have any idea how many people...mostly my own siblings gave me the "knowing" pitiful disdain of "your an idiot"......or ...."When's the flood Noah?.......does it have a bilge pump?........Your not going to use that are you?.....Mostly from one brother...god bless him...who wouldn't know a good relationship if it bit him in a@@!....and it shows....

Am I bitter?   Hell no!....when they ask what does it do?....I show em this

Then I ask what have you done lately?  Yup!   Steamlaunch....right up there with buggy whips.... :whoohoo:

Jerry....Like your bud there...I won't even charge you for this one.....

What does it do?.....Answer......Makes me happy!  with a follow up question....What do you do that makes YOU happy?

I'm happy when I spend many hours scraping in a sine plate to a tenth or two....hell I've used it once since then.....but I can't even begin to explain how good it felt to use it knowing it was on the money.....lets not even start with the South bend.

I have seen you create so much Jerry....from very little....with pride and intelligence.....don't let a dope make you think its anything less than what it is....Something that makes you happy.

What the hell else are you supposed to do?...Hmmm.....sit back...ponder world peace and be miserable with "finite" hours you have left.....who says you know how many hours you have anyway?

My dope of a older brother ....god bless him....will never understand me...that's OK by me....I'm over it.  I'm a young 50....I am what I am.    MY family understands it implicitly.   No explanation required or expected.

My boats name is Rushforth.   Why?   It was my mothers middle name...but it is a view point....Rushforth and chase your dreams....you don't know what tomorrow brings.

Now you just take that over to your bud there ...... I bet he agrees with me.....but go ahead and ask anyway and get a second opinion. 8)

If it makes you feel better...I'll send you a bill.... :cheers:

Your friend.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:03:49 AM »
A definition of a blissful life.....Knowing what makes you happy...and doing it anyway!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal