Author Topic: Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings  (Read 21781 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2015, 11:49:40 PM »
Yep, based on the size of those patterns, this is a rather large engine. Nice looking patterns though!!

Bill

Offline Phil_L

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 01:13:33 AM »
Wow.  If that's a regular soda can then that flywheel is about 15 inches.  :o
Maybe I'll start looking for 1/6 scale.  :thinking:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:18 AM »
Jo I will be looking to scale the engine down. A six inch flywheel is all I can handle. I want to make mine from bar stock. I just need drawings to scale down with.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
Hi Don,

I know that Alessandro Ambrosi did a very nice design for this engine with a 150mm flywheel, which has Mod 0.7 gears.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mike Henry

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »
Has there been any more progress on the Otto-Langen being discussed here?  I bought the Lenaz plans back in 1999 at NAMES where it has languished on a shelf recently.  I've been modeling it in Onshape with the idea of possibly building it, but am having difficulty figuring out exactly how some of the parts are attached.  My researches on the web have brought me here looking for more info and to this thread.

The attachment shows the status of the model thusfar.

Mike

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
Waiting for someone to get their finger out and get some castings done from my patterns, seems she they has other things on her mind at the moment  :ShakeHead:

Offline Mike Henry

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »
Too bad on the castings.  I will probably work from bar stock if I build it.  Nice assembly drawings, by the way.  Were those done in Alibre/GeoMagic?

A couple of questions if you don't mind.  The Lenaz plans don't show any way to attach the gears and other components to the shafts - is the builder expected to drill and tap his/her own set screw holes for that purpose?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 07:14:16 PM »
:embarassed: We are learning how to make little engines together.

And my new friend has made is making a sizable dent in my funds so I am trying to recover from the shock of having a fella around again before I invest in lots more money in castings. And someone tried telling me women are expensive  :ShakeHead:

My supplier's excuse is he still looking for a foundry, nothing to do with him buying more WW1 aircraft books  ::).

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
Hi Mike

If you look back at page one of this thread you will see that I'm in about the same place as you. I modeled most of the engine in SW a number of years ago and still hope to build it some day.

Which parts are you having problems with?

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 07:35:30 PM »
I think tapered gib head keys would be more in keeping with the prototype to hold the gears etc to the shafts, you can make out a couple of keys on teh attached.

One problem with our drawings is that I drew the bottom in Alibre and jo did most of teh top in te same then had to change to Cubify and I can't open her files as they are a newer version.

I'm not in a rush to build this one and may even opt to make it somwhere between teh published drawings and teh one we have made castings for as that would suit my machines better.

Offline Mike Henry

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
I'm mostly having problems figuring out how the gears and ratchet wheel are affixed to the shafts.  I'm assuming that setscrews are used but the drawings don't show any holes in the gears or ratchet wheel for that purpose so I'm not sure what was intended.  I'm a bit new to engine building but from what friends have said, engine plans sometimes leave a fair bit to the builder's imagination.

Mike

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
The version in ME has keys fitted.

Jo

Offline Mike Henry

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
OK, tapered gib keys hadn't occurred to me so I'll consider that option after researching it a bit.  How fiddly are those to get right?

I've been using Alibre/GM for several years now but like where Onshape is headed, aside from the cloud-only aspect.  Onshape is still in beta and has no drawing capability so I'd probably do any detail drawings in GeoMagic from exported Onshape files.  I'd prefer a different dimensioning approach to the one Lenaz did so at least some of the parts will be redrawn.  This would be my 1st internal combustion engine and I gather that the Otto-Langen is not for beginners, so I'm still undecided on whether or not to build it.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »
OMG... this is beautiful.

An old friend of mine, John Day, who sadly is no longer with us  :'(, had a friend who had one of these Otto Langen engines:

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
An old friend of mine, John Day, who sadly is no longer with us  :'(, had a friend who had one of these Otto Langen engines:

John diligently drew it up and made a model of this own, which had a lovely motion but at the time I was not interested in building one as it runs on Actelene... Time has moved on and I have a growing desire  :mischief: but sadly John is no longer around so I am unable to sweet talk him out of his drawings  :(

I understand that over the years two other models of this type of engine have been made one a 1/8th scale and a 1/6th scale (ignoring the 3/4 scale  :Love: that is in a museum). I understand that the designer of one of these models (Johnnie Lenaz) has now gone the way of my good friend John.. One of my club members built one of these engines but has subsequently lost the drawings  :toilet_claw:  :hammerbash:  :rant: :hellno:  :'(

So the question is does anyone know where I could acquire a set of drawings for one of these models.

Jo

Hi Jo.

I picked up on this early last week as a member " bumped " the topic.

Was John from the Guildford area by any chance? Did he also make a Dynamo?

Cheers Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal