Author Topic: Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings  (Read 21851 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 08:33:46 AM »
Ok so really we are thinking more of a Tandem build then. First we need to put together a design (I can see a bit of competition there  :LittleDevil:), then someone who is good with  :embarassed: wood will need to be sweet talked into making a set of patterns and we can get them cast as a batch. Once one of us has set up for the gears it is just as easy to run off a number of sets as cutting the first.

I can't see the others wanting to let anyone else machine/bore the column for them  :lolb:

There is one of these engines in the London Science Museum that I might just have to visit ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
Dave Otto--If it was my international build of the "Rupnow engine" you are referring to, the results were rather disappointing. I had initially hoped to find at least ten people world wide to build the engine along with me. Ten people did immediately step foreword, but about half of them found it to be too ambitious for their skill level and dropped out after making a few of the simple parts. One poor fellow fell ill and was unable to finish his. One gentleman finished the engine but for some reason was never able to get his to run. So---I ended up with 3 completed engines, mine, Gus's in Singapore, and Swifty's in Tasmania. One of the things I could never understand was that there were a number of people who proceeded with the build and are still working on their engines, but refuse to post their progress.--Brian Rupnow

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 03:20:18 PM »
Here are some pics of the Crossley Langen and Otto patent engine at the Anson collection - on loan from the London Science Museum.

Modeling this is vaguely there somewhere in my future plans.

As acetylene seems to provide a wider ignition range  than butane or propane I was wondering whether it would be possible to (safely) make a gas generator using water and calcium carbide.  I understand such things are still used by the caving community.

cheers,

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
Thanks Rod,

That  :Love: engine is lightly different again... I was thinking of modeling the version with the octagonal base.

Jo

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
Brian,
Allow me to offer an explanation of why they may have never posted their progress. Perhaps they are like me, not very skilled, and stopped at every step by mistakes, lack of knowledge, how do I clamp this, hold that, frustration, discouragement, embarrassment of progress compared to yours, etc. and a host of other similar reasons. They may have stopped to do other things too.
So, my solution is to take on simpler projects guaranteeing success, and leave the more challenging stuff for later.
Just my thoughts.
Mosey   :hammerbash:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »
Mosey, I am sorry to hear that  :( I always try to explain everything as I go along in my threads but  you are not the only one who has problems those UPT arms are giving me no end of problems  :paranoia:.

Jo

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
Mosey--Never be afraid to present your lack of knowledge. Although there are some unkind people out there, most of us are more than willing to help. We all had to learn too at some point. Most of us are still learning. I started posting almost as soon as I started machining. Some of the things I posted make me cringe a bit now, when I think about it 5 years later, but nobody called me a fool. Many people offered up advice and wisdom I would never learned if I hadn't posted.--I know, you have to be a bit of an extrovert to post, and I am probably more extrovert than most.-----Brian

Offline Mosey

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
Brian,
Thanks for the encouragement! Perhaps I am too extroverted and post too much? I must say, on this forum the people have been like family to me, helping with expertise, suggestions, sending me stock, transistors, motors, plans, disks, and the list goes on. Bogs, Steve, Dave, Don, Dave, George, Jo, many others etc. Generous and helpful good people. Thank you all. So, I have tried to do likewise, sending things to others that they need and I may not. What comes around should go around.
Keep it coming, guys & gal!
Mosey  :cheers:

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Look at it this way Mosey, If you flub a part and show what you did and how you got there, what does it hurt to show what happened. Nothing. But what might happen is, you may get 2 or 3 suggestions of different ways to try. Or you may find that the way you were doing it was easiest and just need to change some small detail. Sure beats doing things the same way time after time and struggle all the way.

Either way Mosey, we got your back buddy. If you ever need anything you know you can write anytime.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 06:58:23 PM »
Thanks, Steve, you're one of the guys who always comes thru with help, be it bits and bobs, or expertise. Now for the bad news, it's taken me 10 years to build my Silver Bullet (2 cyl) off and on, mostly off, and you built the  same basic design times two (4 cyl)  in about 3 weeks. There's something to learn in there somewhere. HeHe! :lolb: :lolb:
Mosey

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »
Hi Jo, may be not a big help, but it is part of the original documentation of this engine. Fig.1 to 4 are links to an enlarge view of the drawing.
http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj186/ar186020
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »
Thanks Achim,

Those are a lot better than some of the other versions of that drawing I have seen  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
Jo,

ME 4101 and 4103 (Sept 1999) have details of Herbert Stumm's Gold Medal winning model of the original  Otto & Langen with octagonal base.  He also includes details of his acetylene gas generator.  I'm not entirely convinced that it needs any castings.  Boring the long column, which is also the cylinder, will be "interesting".  As will machining the long rack.

Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 02:30:28 AM »
Thanks Rod, one of the GMES members pointed me at that article  :ThumbsUp: with that and finding the last of the Lorenz drawings we are getting some good progress on putting the 1/4 scale design together  :whoohoo:

It looks like we can buy the rack for £40ish so we are planning on cheating  :naughty: and the column is 355mm tall, of which 325mm needs to be accurately bored and two of us have large enough lathes to easily do that and the flywheel  ;).

Current thoughts are to make the column and flywheel out of castings and it looks like it should be another cheap build 8)

Jo

Offline Phil_L

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 01:23:49 AM »
Hello all,
Does anyone have a set of drawings for the Otto Langen?  I'm looking for 1/6 or maybe even 1/4 scale. 

I recently finished my Mery Explosive and would love to add the Otto to my collection.
I documented my Mery build here: http://www.teqknow.com/Shop/Mery.html and have a running video here: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EhGXSi0Bx8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EhGXSi0Bx8</a>

Thanks!
Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal