Author Topic: Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings  (Read 21783 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
An old friend of mine, John Day, who sadly is no longer with us  :'(, had a friend who had one of these Otto Langen engines:

John diligently drew it up and made a model of this own, which had a lovely motion but at the time I was not interested in building one as it runs on Actelene... Time has moved on and I have a growing desire  :mischief: but sadly John is no longer around so I am unable to sweet talk him out of his drawings  :(

I understand that over the years two other models of this type of engine have been made one a 1/8th scale and a 1/6th scale (ignoring the 3/4 scale  :Love: that is in a museum). I understand that the designer of one of these models (Johnnie Lenaz) has now gone the way of my good friend John.. One of my club members built one of these engines but has subsequently lost the drawings  :toilet_claw:  :hammerbash:  :rant: :hellno:  :'(

So the question is does anyone know where I could acquire a set of drawings for one of these models.

Jo

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:49:54 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Otto Langen 1867 Engine Drawings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
Jo I've seen this engine at shows...about 18" tall.   I can't recall the casting source at the moment....but I'll poke around later...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »
Thanks Dave,

From what I remember of John's engine running she was easy to start, and the motion is  :Love:

Jo

Offline Mike OConnor

• Tallahassee, Florida USA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
Hello Jo,

At one time Wayne Grenning of Grenning Models ( Lockport, NY USA ) had castings and drawings available for a 1:7 scale Otto Langen engine. I have seen examples of these in person at model engine shows and they are indeed impressive. He may be your best source for drawings and information. Sadly, I do not believe castings are available anymore.

Check out his 'Previous Projects' page, there are several examples in different scales.

https://sites.google.com/site/grenningmodelscom/home

https://sites.google.com/site/grenningmodelscom/review17thscaleottolangen

Hope this helps,
Mike
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:04:00 PM by Mike OConnor »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
Hi Jo
The drawings that I know of were created by Emmett Lenaz; this is a total bar stock engine. A friend made one from these plans and it turned out beautiful and runs as nice as it looks. I don’t believe Wayne Grenning ever sold castings or kits of either of his Otto & Langen engines; only completed engines.
I thought that someone was still selling Emmett’s plans but I’m not sure who.
I have this engine mostly modeled in SW working from these plans and it is on my someday project list.

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »
Thanks Mike, I had tracked down the Grenning Models but as Dave mentioned I understand that they only did them ready to run in 3/4" and the (25 off) 1/7th, then later (50 off) 1/6th scales. 

But there is out there was also the 1/8th scale barstock version by Lenaz :naughty:

I think a 1/4 scale one would be about right...

12" flywheel
13" column
1 1/2" bore.
40" tall  8)

Dave... How far through are you in drawing it up?

Jo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:30:45 PM by Jo »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
I have it mostly done; this was done quite a few years ago in my spare time at work when I was learning SW. There are some things I need to fix and also go back through everything and make sure it's all correct.

There are still a few parts that need to be modeled and added to the assembly. This version has a 7 3/4” flywheel and stands about 22” tall.

When my friend made his he altered the base somewhat and used needle bearings on the shafts. The bearing standards were also modified to hide the needle bearings.

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:49 PM »
 :Love: That is very nice.

Jo

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:18:17 PM »
Lady and Gentlemen:
I have a large bucket of popcorn, and soda ready for this build. Hang on to your hats, who will have it done first? A transatlantic build contest?
Mosey :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
 :lolb:

No the of my life comes first. But I am planning on doing a couple of smaller builds in tandem to keep my sanity ;)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
:embarassed: I don' think MEM has yet done a team build... I am not sure what consitutes a team build. Is that building engines in parallel or is it sharing the machining between the members?

Don't hold your breath but  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:13:30 PM by Jo »

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:57 PM »
Different from the green one in the Beautiful Engines book?
Mosey

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »
I think the context of team build from the other place is; an engine is chosen (usually a very basic bar stock steam engine) and folks sign up to build certain parts of it in quantity. When you get your parts done you ship them to all the other builders. If all goes to plan you will receive enough parts in the mail to build an engine (except for the part that you made).

People over commit and the project drags on for what seems to be forever, this is based only on the length of the threads that I have seen.

Me, interested? I don't think so; but a tandem build where people all start the the same engine and work at your own pace would be somewhat different. My main problem with this is my projects run into years not months. I work for the enjoyment and for me it is the journey and not necessarily the end result.

I think Brian tried this at the other place with mixed results; not sure how it all turned out.

Interesting topic maybe it should be started in the chatterbox section.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
What Dave says is true, and without going into it..he's right.   It depends on the team, and the engine.   It can go very well or very poorly.   I think it really needs a leader,  who can be the leader, and facilitate the communication necessary to keep everybody moving.

It had mixed results at the other place...generally the mods laid low, though Tin Falcon I know got involved in some.

And yes....Chatterbox would be a better place to talk about it.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mhirst121

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »
I have seen one of these engines on display at the Anson museum. Asked about it but did not get much of an answer and could not find the guy that owned it. It really is a nice looking engine.

MartinH
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
A creative mess is better than idle tidyness !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal