Author Topic: What Fillament, wall thickness and fill percentage for Patterns?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Can I ask what Fillament people are using for their patterns as well as the wall thickness and percentage of fill.

These are for patterns that will be sent to a foundry so may not be handled quite as gently as ones cast at home. Sand will be Airset. Castings upto about 2.5kg (5lbs) in iron.

Had a few failures of the first patterns off the Bambu P1S particularly when the 0.2mm nozzle was used. I'm not doing the printing so it's a bit third hand but will try and get the settings used.

Online Twizseven

Re: What Fillament, wall thickness and fill percentage for Patterns?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 07:24:13 PM »
Jason,
I will check what my settings were. I’m pretty sure I just took the defaults that Prusa gave me for the last patterns I did for Graham
Colin

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 07:28:45 PM »
Thanks Colin.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 09:31:41 PM »
Jason,

I was using the standard defaults,I did not change anything.  So : Prusa PETG filament on a Prusa I3 MK3, Infil was 15%, Print Settings 0.05mm ULTRADETAIL

Colin

Offline AOG

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 01:31:10 AM »
The thing to remember is that 3D prints are basically a semi-monocoque structure. The majority of the strength is in the walls. For anything non-tooling my general settings are .2 layer height with 25% infill. 7-10 layers for the top, bottom and side's. For better dimensional accuracy on the top of the print increase the infill percentage near the top. It doesn’t make the print that much stronger but the reduced spacing between the infill pattern reduces the bridging when laying down the first top layer. That reduces sag on the top layer and increases accuracy.

Tony

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 08:17:15 AM »
Thanks

PLA was being used and I think the PETG should be stronger.

Also fill was likely to have been on the low side, I've not heard back what settings were being used but do have this image and would say that is 10% or less

Offline AOG

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 03:15:24 PM »
PLA is actually stronger than most PETGs. It is also significantly more brittle. Of all the common filaments in use, it’s the easiest to get good reliable prints with. Looking at the picture, it looks like a single or at most double shell thickness . You can tell by comparing the thickness of the infill which are single extrusion to the width of the outer shell. As a minimum I would up the shell thickness to 7 with 10 being best.

Tony

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 06:14:51 PM »
Thanks, I'll pass the info on and hopefully some stronger patterns can be made.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 07:02:09 PM »
Checked the tables for the materials that Prusa shows, and it says PETG and PLA have similar tensile strngth but PETG has a higher impact resistance and higher temperature resistance. They use PETG for the printed parts in their printers. The PLA does finer detail better though, the PETG blurs a little and can be stringy across gaps. For the RC boat parts I've printed, the PLA was better for detail, as long as I gave it more perimeter wall layers to keep the strength up. The infill pattern can make a huge difference to the strength of walls, some patterns are more sparse around the edges even for same infil percentage.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 07:09:44 PM »
I seem to recall that somebody on YouTube did a study on the strengths of the various infill patterns a while ago, CNCKitchen maybe?

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 03:59:55 AM »
I made a couple patterns for mould flasks from 'old foundry man' on utube using standard pla settings and had no problems.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal