Author Topic: Another UPT  (Read 68426 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Another UPT
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »
So anyone any ideas on my right and left hand height gauges?

Not sure....never really thought about it.  I suppose there's such a thing, but I've never seen one advertised.

Are you ambidextrous?.......and no I won't ask you to prove it :LittleDevil:

I could see this being useful with a large set up and you don't want to walk around to the other side of the table to look at the gauge.  Going for 12" to the foot scale soon?

8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
Are you ambidextrous?.......and no I won't ask you to prove it :LittleDevil:

I could see this being useful with a large set up and you don't want to walk around to the other side of the table to look at the gauge.  Going for 12" to the foot scale soon?

I have been known to use both hands and my mouth to hold things when things get tricky  :embarassed: but I can tell you machine oil doesn't taste very nice :hellno:

The taller height gauge cost a fortune (£5) and is for number 1 project ;D.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
Could it have been put together backwards?
Or came from/intended for Australia or New Zealand?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »
I'd go with "convenience" for the left & right-hand gauges like Dave mentioned...  Often wished the single home-brew one I have was "the other way round", especially when using it to measure things on the mill...

And I wish there was some "cheap & cheerful brand" left-handed digital calipers around as well - a regular wish of mine is for one, especially when measuring things in situ on the lathe.  A couple of the better quality brands sell explicitly made left-handed ones, but that's out of my price bracket.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »

Ours aren't back to front, just upside down.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
First up it is necessary to level the casting up in the vice, this is very unscientific and is a case of lining up the marking lines on the top edge of the vice using a watchmakers Loupe:

Note that I have marked a ring around each of the clamping positions that needs to be taken out for the brass clamping bits. Then using a sticky pin use the same Loupe to square up on the centre punch (the Y axis is still lined up from yesterday) and zero the X:

Now we can drill the 6mm holes and then take them up to 12.5mm using a slot drill:

Before using a machine reamer to take to size:

Then take the thicker end to 16mm above the vice using a facing cutter:

Drop the cutter 1.7mm and face the top of the smaller end. Then using the side of a end mill the end of the lug for clamping to a known distance (I am keeping these as I will be using them to register the arms later)

Turn over, put a parallel down, cheat and use the end mill still in position as an end stop and with a 1.7mm packing piece under the thin end ream for the second clamp, and face the two ends their respective thicknesses.

So two standard arms with their clamps in place:

You can see that both of the standard arms have flats on either side, I will be filing the wider end to the same 31.75mm width of the Drilling arm and the smaller ends 28. 6mm. But I really need to make a few more of those brass clamping bits before I go any further and that means taking the connecting rods off the Prazimat or using the Hobbymat one last time and getting swarf in the dining room :naughty:.

Jo
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:50:27 PM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »

Ours aren't back to front, just upside down.

:ROFL:

No it has not been put together backwards - I checked to see if I could correct it  ;). I have noticed that some of the suppliers of dearer equipment can provide left and right handed height gauges today.

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
Hi Jo, making some progress on the arms I see. It doesn't take much to bore them, I made sure I tram my mill before I started boring. Have you decided how your going to do it yet?

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »
 :-[ No have not, I was going to sleep on it: I only have one boring head so there is going to be a lot of switching in and out but I do have datums now on all three arms. 

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »
Jo, if you made the mounting stub and cap and the plug gauges to the correct dimensions the arms will all come out the same. You have to be trying to offset them to get them out of alignment. After that 7/8" hole is bored your on your way.

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »
Don,

I seem to be heading towards using the Mill: Checking the tram on the mill head is a good idea... its been a while ::).

I keep thinking that the UPT is bigger than it really is, the holes for boring are only 19.05 and 22.23mm, so it is a fairly quick (famous last words  :Lol:) drop a slotting drill down, ream with an end mill and take the final little bit out with the boring head.

I still need to have a think about mounting as I have already taken the arms to width, so an angle plate might be needed for making sure everything remains in line. Once the mounting is sorted then it should be like the arms the first one takes twice as long as the subsequent ones  ;)

Jo

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:23 AM »
Nicely fettled castings before the machining begins;  a lady after my own heart.

Nice work Jo!

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »
Thanks Dave,

Sorry no posts from last nights exploits I was making the three missing clamping nuts and drilling the pin holes for the arms... I really should be drilling the VHD and the two bases for their clamps as well before going onward :-\

At least the head on the mill is now trammed back in  :ThumbsUp:.  But someone mentioned I should be line boring these arms :thinking:.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
Having made the other brass clampy bit I remembered to find the centre for the clamp on the base:

And then drill/ream the clamp hole:

Then find the arms, the distructions say about making a clamp that is 19.05mm but as I am doing the drill as well I need to do a clamp that is the diameter of the column not the small end so that is 22.23mm. First squareing up for boring the holes:

Then I remembered that I had to put all the pins in place before I do any boring :facepalm2:. That took forever… Then back to the mill and start opening up the first hole:

Then finally using a 20mm end mill as a reamer:

Before getting the boring head out and realising 

:toilet_claw: I got distracted and over bored it, so it was time to bore it out some more and turn up a sleeve that was a “hot sliding fit”:

Heat the arm a little and let the bush slide in:

Not forgetting to re-ream the clamping hole  :(:

I am just pleased I made too many of the brass clamps. My arm ached from making the hole in that first arm, so there is  :disappointed: no way I will be continuing on the mill, I need another way. So I started preparing a clamping plate and my pillar drill started making some horrible noises. I have a gear head drill and it has a nasty habit of the gear fork vibrating loose and then the moving gear shaft dropping and the ball bearing that holds it in place going missing. Well 20 min later the gear box is drained and could I find that bearing.. It was having a laugh, sitting on top of the spindle gear.

Some days you just should not set foot in the workshop  :ShakeHead:.

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Jo I am sorry that you are having a bad time, as I know how frustrating it can be. My I point out that you have to have a 3/8" hole in mounting plate and arm to secure it to the plate. After drilling and tapping the 3/8" hole in the mounting plate zero you scale and move to the final dimenision. Mount your arm and secure with the 3/8" bolt on to the mounting plate, Drill and bore the 7/8" hole. Then rotate the arm swap the 3/8" bolt using the mounting stub and cap and resecure the arm to the 3/8" hole in the plate. That way you don't have to move the mill at all and all will be true.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal