Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Another UPT

(1/52) > >>

Jo:
Father Xmas dropped me off a little something:

The starting point for the Universal Pillar Tool (UPT) is a 15” long piece of ground mild steel. This needs a 38.1mm length turned down to 19.05mm to enable it to be used as a gauge for boring the base. I also decided to slot the back of the column as it shows on the clock bushing tools as that gives me a means of providing positive location for staking should I need it

The base is a tricky casting because of the draft angle you have to start by filing or milling flats onto the top to enable it to be held securely. Once this is done it is then possible to secure it in a four jaw chuck bottom face out for machining.

It is not an easy job and I found that the standard tool holder did not give me sufficient clearance to be able to finish the profile  up to the column so I made use of this extended tool holder:

So the bottom is cleaned up.

Now we can turn it round and look to centralise the part where the column is going to mount. First turn the top square and the outside edge down to the clamp boss. Then bore to fit the column:

Measuring the fit with a suitable bore gauge and finally checking with the column itself:

Before going any further I need the clamps for the column. These start out as a piece of 12.7mm bras that first needs to have a slot cut down the side. This is to enable the pin to be inserted into the casting to prevent this nut from turning when you attempt to tighten the fixing.

Now we can drill, tap and part off the nuts. Note that these are all left long: The hole in which they will be fitted goes over the centre line and so must these. Then once the boring for the various columns is down we will shorten these nuts so that they do not go past the centre line and when tightened will clamp against the column.

It is so nice having the electricity back :naughty:

Jo

Stuart:
Jo

Nice work as usual. Mind you we expect no other from you.

Anyway merry Xmas and enjoy you visitor.

Glad you have survived the storms, we had no trouble here in the lee of the Pennines , I hope other readers have got thought with to much trouble ,

Off now down Sarf got to get Ito the lingo down ther ,the SIL does not understand our Derbyshire dialect

Stuart

b.lindsey:
That's a lot of progress Jo, especially for being without power for a while!!  Looking good so far!!

Bill

Ramon Wilson:
It's amazing what you can do with treadle power  :o

Merry Christmas Jo and all the best for a productive New Year Look - looks like you're off to a good head start  :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Ramon

(PS I have escaped kitchen duties would you believe - 'Chrimbo' dinner is off to day - Sues in bed with Man Flu  :-\. It's off to the workshop then  ;D)

Don1966:
Looking good Jo, you seem to be off to a good start. It will be interesting to see how you go about building your Pillar tool.

Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version