Author Topic: Rotary valve engine and bonus  (Read 45336 times)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
Re: Rotary valve engine and bonus
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »
 Say Steve, I'm in on this ride, If nothing else just for the "general silliness" you spoke of  :Jester: I tell you though, I can almost hear that shaper "thunking" (yes that is a real word) along. I have yet to make a crankshaft out of solid so my hat is off to you. Well done.

BC1
Jim

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Nice work on that crankshaft, Steve.  It's so easy for those things to get away from you and ruin the piece.  Always a sigh of relief when it's finally finished.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 05:27:10 AM »
Ray, Chuck, Jim and Chuck

Thanks for your support.

Chuck Foster - I was looking for something to secure them with and the cable ties were sitting there in my toolbox.

Jim - Glad to have you aboard  :Jester:, the shaper's definitely been making some thunks lately. I want to put a bigger motor on it so I can run it faster. She's hungry on the power when you try and speed her up.

Chuck Fellows - I know what you mean re. sigh of relief. The old heart was running a little faster at times when I was plunging in; what with the smallest diameter getting smalller and smaller and the whole thing stuck between centres.

:cheers:
Steve

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
Made the flywheel this evening. Started with some 1-1/2" brass. Here it is after turning the OD down to 1-7/16" and treepaning the guts out  :stir:

Next I drilled and reamed it to 1/4" and then roughed the back out with a parting tool

Finally I used super glue to stick it on a bit of steel that I had turned down to fit and finished off the other side. I drilled the grub screw hole free style. Just whacked a centre punch mark where it looked right, then lined it up by eye in the drilling machine vice, then drilled and tapped it. Here it is all finished, complete with my greasy fingerprints  :shrug:

Steve

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:29:27 AM by swilliams »

Offline ironman123

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 04:05:43 AM »
Keep it going.  Looking good.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
Thanks for the support Ray  :NotWorthy:  :pinkelephant:

Did a little more, drilled some holes in the base. I'm going to hold the pillars on with 3mm cap screws, rather than thread the ends of the pillars as in the plans. I just ground a twist drill to cut the flat bottoms for the counter-bores, old-school style  :zap:

Made the pillars and attached them. I still need to drill and tap the holes at the top end of the pillars.

Then cut up the bits for the bearing blocks. I was a little tight for length so I used a narrow slitting saw

Here's the four chopped up bits I'm going to make the blocks out of

That's all for now

Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »
Looking Good Steve....I'll be watching too!

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 01:31:39 AM »
Thanks Dave

Glad to have you aboard  :cheers:

Steve

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
Another episode in my mini drama here. Been drilling and tapping holes and more holes  :insane:

I stuck the bearing bocks together with some miniature 5BA bolts I had sitting around. Then I drilled and reamed them in the mill. I'm going to put some brass bushes in them. The plans made them from brass without bushes, but I'm just using what I've got

Then I made some bushes in the lathe. The pic shows putting a chamfer on the bush before parting it off.

Here's the assembly. I'm not very happy with the bushes so I'm going to make some more. I want to make them a little longer and their bores need opening up a tiny bit. That won't take long  :paranoia:

that's it for now
 :cheers:
Steve

Offline ironman123

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »
 :whoohoo:  Moving along nicely.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Steve, nice progress on this engine.  Do you split the brass bushings or just leave them as one piece?  Would there be any advantage to splitting one side of each bushing?

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 01:33:18 AM »
Hi Ray and Chuck. Thanks for the support and interest

Chuck - I guess in my case the main reason for splitting the bearing blocks was cosmetic. I don't see that I'll ever run this thing to the point where the bearings need adjustment and if I did it's so easy to turn up some new bushes. I'll probably run it once and then put it on a shelf in my office. I'd expect these bearing to last a very long time if one managed to keep a decent amount of oil in them.

Steve

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
Some more stuff to report

I made some new bushes. I wanted a little more clearance in them so I made a little boring bar instead of using a reamer. Here's splitting the holder I made for the boring bar, of course one could do this with an ordinary hacksaw just as well

and here's the boring bar I ground up out of a broken 6mm endmill

and boring the bush

I next moved onto the base for the cylinder block. I needed to saw it out; was going to do it by hand but then I noticed the milling machine sitting around with a slitting saw already in it

Boring one of the two clearance holes for the piston

and the finished plate sitting where it will be bolted on

That's it for now. Next I'm going to tap some threads in the posts that the plate is sitting on. I'm also going to make some miniature bolts out of some hex stock, which I already have, to hold the plate onto the posts. I like the look of the miniature hex bolts and it's easier to make 4 of them than going to the trouble of ordering them. 

Offline ironman123

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
Shaping up pretty good there Steve.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 04:03:20 AM »
Thanks Ray, I was wondering: what did you use to seal the head to the cylinder block? I was thinking of just using some type of liquid gasket product. What do you reckon?

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal