Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 236146 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2015, 11:38:13 PM »
Very interesting Ramon and did you have to steam the front panel to get it to wrap around? What kind of oven did you have to put it in to steam if?

Don

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #361 on: March 20, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »
Ramon, it might be worth a step or two at the side of the mill that can be folded away when not in use.  I need one by my mill to change the belts (well actually its a bit of 6" dia steel axle from a railway waggon, about 14" long).
Ian S C

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #362 on: March 22, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
Hi Guys - thanks for the input  :ThumbsUp:

Don , much to my surprise I was able to do that without steaming. The two outer lams are 1.5mm and the inner one .8mm thick. Reason for the difference is the sheet mahogany available - I only just had enough. The steam box I do use is a very crude affair - just four pieces of 3/4" wood about 4" wide screwed together to give a long box steam goes in one end (from a wallpaper stripper) and the ends are blocked with wet rags - crude indeed but effective  ;)

Ian, nice to see you on here, thanks for the suggestion. I may well do that too - It might be possible to arrange something across the bench legs.

Well I finished off the laminating today and trimmed the edges back - just the aft cross piece to fit tomorrow....

While the planks were drying I set to on a couple of 'ancillary' bits the first of which was the rudder. The main shape was made from three pieces of a nice mahogany like timber (probably Meranti) cut from a short block held onto for such an occasion. The reinforcing is nickel silver which will be epoxied on and dummy rivets fitted after the sealing coat of varnish is applied.

Today also saw a start on something I've been looking forwards to making - the steering wheel  :)

The embryonic parts....

The brass reinforcing rings were held on a temporary faceplate to turn the ODs

Then the outer was held with screws as clamps to trepann the ring. Despite taking the pic the 'non clamping' screw was not noticed until unscrewing to remove it  ::) Fortunately it did not have any detrimental affect

The block for the outer rim was bored and a short mandrel made to fit into it and the temp face plate to align it for turning both sides.

And that's as far as we got tonight

I'm reliably informed that tomorrow is a domestic duties day but hopefully the spokes might get a start at least ;)

Thanks for looking in

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #363 on: March 22, 2015, 11:27:07 PM »
The lamination looks great Ramon and the wheel is shaping up to be a work of art. I like................... :praise2:

Don
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:20:26 AM by Don1966 »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »
I can see why you were looking forward to the steering wheel Ramon. That is really looking great..as does the rest of course!!

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2015, 04:32:17 AM »
Hi Ramon, as Don already said, that steering wheel will be a work of art. Like the whole boat that you have built until now. I am sure some further high lights, beautiful details,  will follow.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #366 on: March 26, 2015, 11:51:06 PM »
Thanks Don, Bill and Achim for your continued support - means a lot to hear from you.

Well, this is just a short update but you'll be pleased to hear/see another significant point has been reached in this project :)

To continue with the wheel a simple form tool was made from a piece of GFS. As there were only six pieces of wood to tackle it was left unhardened and worked well enough. These are parts for the inner spokes. The outer ones were straight forward turnings the curved ends applied by a file and abrasive paper.

The end was drilled 3.0mm to take the outer spoke and the drill reversed and used as a support

All the parts ready for assembly....

...and the finished item

Yesterday finally saw the fitting of the breastwork. These two pieces proved to be the most challenging of the entire project to shape and fit. Though it might look it nothing was flat so a lot of cut and try using a file and chisel took most of the morning but the result was worth it

And finally, this afternoon, saw the last piece of timber in the main hull construction go on.

Everything else now left to do is basically cosmetic - fitting out here and there such as seats, the aft compartment cover etc. Time to get that hoover out then and have one last big clean up of all that dust before thinking about the varnishing.

Sooo.... after 43 years thinking about it it's finally built - now all it needs is an engine but that will be a week or two yet before a start is made - I really do now have to take a break and get the garden in shape before it gets out of hand.

Hope you've enjoyed the journey - so many look in on a daily basis but so many say nothing so it's hard to know overall.

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #367 on: March 27, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
Ramon,

As an onlooker all I can say is "BRILLIANT" and look forward to seing WaW getting her bottom wet.

George.
Your never too old to learn.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #368 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:35 AM »
Ramon that Helm wheel is a beauty as is the vessel. Now a big brass acorn nut is needed to lock it to the shaft. Are you going to have the Helm wheel work the rudder or is it just for show?

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #369 on: March 27, 2015, 01:05:48 AM »
Just when I thought you couldn't impress me any more than you already have.....you DO!!!  Love that wheel!!!

Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #370 on: March 27, 2015, 07:15:10 AM »
Gob Smacked Ramon  :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

By the way I am convinced you are a Pam Ayres Fan........................Clamp the Mighty Limpet ring any bells? You have sooooo many clamps it just seems to fit  ;D

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #371 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
A very enjoyable and informative woodworking journey Ramon. Keep us posted on the engine "refit"and final installation.

J

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #372 on: March 27, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »
What a wonderful build thread. Excellent pics and explanations. Incredible workmanship. Only 43 years ... Wine get's better with age as well. You must be very pleased indeed.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #373 on: March 27, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »
Lovely, absolutely lovely.  Let's hear it for the brown stuff!  I'm building a bass lute at the moment but that's carvel rather than clinker built.

I like the miniature brass sash cramps.

Rod

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #374 on: March 27, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »
I'm just one of the many who look forward to every update to this thread.  You've set the bar high and I thank you for that.  You've illustrated what can be done with interest, patience, attention to detail and a willingness to ignore the clock (calendar?).
It's such a pleasure to watch something develop that is at the opposite end of the spectrum from "instant gratification".
Cheers
Charlie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal