Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 236304 times)

Offline K.B.C

Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #540 on: May 04, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »
Hi Ramon,
The engine is coming along very nicely, do I spy that the flywheel is held on by a taper sleeve?  in my opinion it's the only way to go, if you hold it on with the recommended grub screw with a flat on the shaft what happens in an emergancy if you have to slam it into reverse it just chews lumps out of the shaft.

As you are near to fitting the eccentrics and the reverse gear can I recommend that on the valve rod which has to be screwed 5 b.a. and tapped into the buckle you make a new rod from 1/8" dia St/St and bore the buckle 1/8" dia with a small grub screw to hold the valve in position as per my pic.
It will save you a great deal of time when you are setting the valve, it's only a matter of adjusting by the grub screw.
Other wise it's a bit of a pain having to do all of the adjustments by the 5b.a. screw and having to undo all the drag links and other parts.

You are a lucky guy that can lay your hands on bars of Manganize Bronze, to buy that stuff is a Bank loan case.

I look forward to your further progress.

George.

Your never too old to learn.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #541 on: May 04, 2016, 04:22:10 PM »
Hello George - yes the flywheel is indeed located by a taper grip - I got it off you on Mayhem if I recall  :) The drive dog however is held by grub screw on both engine and prop shaft so I guess the same can happen. Only yesterday I found some small dog point socket grub-screws -  I'll see if I can incorporate them to locate in holes in the shafts.

I like the idea of the small grub-screw holding the valve nut, certainly much easier that breaking all the linkage down as you say.

I have made the eccentrics without a boss and independent of each other. They will be held by a grub-screw too with access through the strap - the holes you can see are to pass the key through and will double up as oil points. I'm waiting on a 9/32 reamer before I can finish them.

The manganese bronze is from small off cuts from a work project of many years ago. I confess I was the inveterate scrounger - nothing was overlooked but I had one caveat - I would always ask. Only on Monday though a good a friend was bemoaning the 'loss' of access to such 'treasures' that retirement brings. As you say I would hate to even think about buying it today.

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #542 on: May 04, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »
Sounds like you have the "launch party" well planned  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:. Funny you mentioning your friends retirement dilemma.  Back when I had a real job in the boiler industry,  most jobs were "cost -plus" . At the end of the job the client didn't want the old tools and materials and those of us trying to up our bonuses,  didn't want to spend the money to ship it back to the home office.  So,  we just gave it away.  I still have a good supply of a lot of things such as files,  tungsten,  ceramic tig torch cups,  Victor oxy-actly equipment,  and so forth.  However my "consumables " department is about gone.  So, I called my old boss and ask him if I could come back to work for just a couple of weeks  ( Haven't worked for him in 30 years ) He asked why and I answered : "just need to stock up on a few things " :lolb:.
Can't wait to see pics of this new blazer  :cheers:

Whiskey

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #543 on: May 05, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »
It may be 'just a Double 10' but you've put a lot into suitable materials to give it a long and reliable working life  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #544 on: May 05, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »
I know this is only a Double Ten but bear with it -

Bite your tongue. It's a well made Double Ten...along with a well made boiler and boat.
Can't wait to see the launch.

No problem 'bearing' it.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #545 on: May 09, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »
Hi Guys - Thanks for all your kind comments  :).

I have a little further progress to report on. Today I managed to get all the linkage assembled and was able to try the action of moving the valve gear through it's arc. With a little bit of fine fettling on the eccentric rod lengths I'm happy to say it all works very smoothly. I have to dis-assemble every thing however as I feel the crankshaft really needs to be grooved to take the eccentric grub-screw points. Also - having sat the engine in the boat I'm thinking I may have to change the colour - again ::) I had overlooked the fact that the inner hull is painted a similar grey and it just doesn't look right. 'Waller' green it could be then - possibly  :D

The eccentrics were turned from FCMS. The straps will sit in a 5mm wide groove and the overall width will be 5.5mm - not an easy thing to hold on such thin flanges.

To combat this the flanges were made a good 1.5 mm wide and the eccentric parted off. They could then be held in a quickly machined fixture (the ali plate used for the levers was recycled) The hole for the eccentric OD is turned on centre with a shoulder for the eccentric to push up square against, then the fixture is off set by the throw of the eccentric and re-clamped. Providing all the eccentric OD's are within a gnats whisker the clamp screw holds them very firmly for the crankshaft hole to be drilled and reamed and ensures it is square to the plane of the eccentric.

They could then be set on an expanding mandrel for facing to width ....

.... and then cross drilling for the grub screws

The drag link arms were milled from a solid piece of steel as per the eccentric rods, draw filed and brought to a uniform width. Another quickly milled fixture enabled the drilling to be accurate one to one......

... before using it again to hold the parts to reduce the width

A couple of quickly turned buttons (hardened) helped in shaping the ends

The result of todays endeavours - eccentrics all ready to refit, just the clevis pins to turn.

And a final look at the linkage

Just those pins and the valves and nuts left to complete the mechanics then the inlet and exhaust system to do before it can be run

I see there's been near a thousand visits this past week  :o :o :o - I can only assume 'You're Luvin It'  ;)

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #546 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:19 PM »
A thousand visits: Isn't it wonderful to be loved  :lolb:. Ramon,  simply beautiful attention to the detail;  have you thought of hiring one of those "interior" types to help select the colors,  or perhaps the missus,  they are the ones that should be pleased; no? :old:

E

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #547 on: May 09, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
Well,don't know about the other 999, but I'm lovin it!

Glad to following along, Ramon

Joe

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #548 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »
The eccentrics are looking great!

On your measurement of OD by 'gnats whisker' - is that based on a European or Asian gnat?   :ROFL:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #549 on: May 10, 2016, 12:24:20 AM »
Every time I tune in Ramon, I feel like I stepped into a classroom. Just enjoyable to see you progress my friend.

8) Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #550 on: May 10, 2016, 12:29:19 AM »
I haven't commented in a while Ramon, but I am still watching and really admiring all your are doing on this fine engine. Inspirational stuff for sure!!

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #551 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:11 AM »
I see there's been near a thousand visits this past week. I can only assume 'You're Luvin It'

Your assumption is correct and will hold until I get lost. What is FCMS?  :lolb:

I may just be one of a thousand...but I count!
"To work. To work."

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #553 on: May 10, 2016, 12:57:12 AM »
Thanks Derek. I'd done a quick google but should have dug deeper.
"To work. To work."

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #554 on: May 10, 2016, 02:32:34 AM »
I haven't commented in a while Ramon, but I am still watching and really admiring all your are doing on this fine engine. Inspirational stuff for sure!!

Bill

Me 2

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal