Author Topic: Another Hobby of Mine  (Read 6995 times)

Troutsqueezer

Another Hobby of Mine
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:42:53 AM »
OK, I guess other hobbies fits into this category. One of my other hobbies is doing portraits of friends, famous people, native americans. I believe gbritnel also shares this love of pencil drawing. The scans really don't do them justice.

Jicarilla (my avatar), Nez Perce tribe.

I mostly like to draw females.

Bogstandard

Re: Another Hobby of Mine
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
Dennis,

Beautiful work indeed.  :AllHailTheKing:

I knew that if we gave the members a little display case of their own, we would get wonders such as yours being posted.

There is much hidden talent amongst our members that really should be seen, and appreciated.

John

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »
Jicarilla (my avatar), Nez Perce tribe.

Dennis, she shows a familiar ancestral tribal trait.  Very well done.  I live up in Idaho near a couple of the tribal
concentrations of the (Nee Me Poo) Nez Perce, (Kamiah and Lapwai).  They are a handsome people.  A couple times a year
they have local celebrations, and many participate in full regalia for the old dances and songs.

I find your drawings to be very artistic!
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:09 AM »
WOW!  Those are really beautiful drawings.
You certainly have a lot of talent.
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »
Great stuff. That is what i call ART, not the rubbish like unmade beds, and sheep in tanks of formaldahide that they call art nowadays. :ThumbsUp:    Thanks for showing.

Cheers Dek. :old:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:28:20 AM »
Dennis,

I am very impressed, I wish I had your drawing skills. I do something artistic: When it is too cold in the workshop I make these:

(sorry about the flash reflection in the following it is the cheap frames! :rant:)

And I have recently started a series for my bedroom:

This is the one I am currently working on:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
That needlework is really outstanding Jo, and it does show that you are not all swarf and grease.

I am no artist, but I do know of a couple that grace my walls

This one was done for me by a great friend, for services rendered, in the early 80's. He was then a 4th Dan Karate Master, now somewhat higher, and part of his training included pen and ink work. This took him almost a year to complete, and the fineness of penwork has to be seen to be believed. This picture is 24" high, and I think is a copy of a Japanese master.

This one is also done by a grand master, of cross stitch. This is a picture, taken from a photo of my grandson when he was about 6 and is about 15" high. By my late wife.

There are certainly people amongst us that have great hidden talent.

John

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »
Troutsqueezer
That is sure some nice pencil work you have there

Nice work there Jo , how the ekk do you keep your hands clean enough to handle the cloth

John thats some fine work there from your pal and not forgetting your your late wife Mel

I do think the thing that binds us all is the unsatisfiable urge to make things with our hands

thank for you last comments in announcements much appreciated

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
Hi Dennis,
Very nice pencil drawings. I think I have seen them somewhere in the past on another forum. I don't do a lot of regular pencil drawings much since I have switched to colored pencils.
I'll post one of my latest in another thread so as to not hijack yours.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline ironman123

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:02:40 PM »
Trout, George and Jo, you people are blessed with exceptional talents and have honed them to great skills.  I appreciate seeing these things that people are able to accomplish.  My hat is off to all of you.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Ray

Ray
Central Texas

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
I didn't realize there were so many replies to my original post. Sometimes I wonder if the "Unread Posts" button works 100% of the time.

Thanks for the kind comments Gents. Interesting to see the oriental style artwork show up (very NICE, BTW) since lately I have developed an interest in Bonsai. This has led me to a local Master who has (and is) teaching me the philosophy that drives Bonsai in general. Subsequently, I've become more interested in Japanese history and culture than the plants themselves although I do enjoy them very much.

I built this area over the last couple of weeks and plan to expand it as time (and money) allows:

Offline ironman123

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
OK, my wife and I occasionally try our (not talent) luck at acrylics painting (did some in oils buy like acrylics better).

Ray

Ray
Central Texas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal