Author Topic: My space  (Read 32859 times)

Offline RickBarnes

Re: My space
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
Is that a shop, or an operating room?  Seriously, you have a neat way of storing in a small space.  And you keep things very clean.  I could learn a lot from a guy like you.  Not sure how many times I would like to lift near 100 pounds up and down, but I like the storage method.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Paul,

The scenery on my railway is (very) loosely based around the Black Forest area of south western Germany.

Rick,

I am working in part of a communal Swiss cellar so I have to keep things clean. Treading sharp swarf around or leaving oily door handles  is simply not acceptable here. Sometimes things are not so neat here ( see Frustrating day) but generally everything has to be clean and tidy  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
I'd missed this (even though I'd asked for more pics).

Thanks!

Looks great and you've given me some neat ideas.
Enjoy the lathe!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
Explain this communal cellar?  This is your room that is part of a larger cellar?  Americans aren't very communal.  Can't hardly get us to carpool.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »
If it's the same as I remember...

Think of an apartment building with a basement. Everyone has their own apartment but everyone can go into the basement. The basement (ours anyway) was divided into 'stalls'. Each stall was walled by wire mesh and had doors with locks. So only you could go into your 'stall' but everyone could see what was in your 'stall'.

But that was years and years ago. My grandfather's apartment building was that way in Munich.
Ours in Goeppingen was the same.
As a kid, a friend and I would play with chemistry sets in the 'communal basement'. Managed to concoct something that produced such a smell it emptied the apartment building. These days...you'd spend time in juvenile. Back then...you got the "It's just kids! Dumb kids!. Don't do that again."...with laughter.

Zero-tolerance has problems.
"To work. To work."

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »
Rick,

Carl is correct. The wooden slats are the 'walls' to my neighbours sections of the cellar. That is why there is a piece of hardboard (Masonite?) by the bench drill to stop the swarf going through. There are three sections in this part of the cellar and three in the nuclear bunker.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:06:55 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
There are probably buildings like that here, but I've never been in one.  My apartment experience is limited to one building you locked the door and stayed in your apartment.  Anything not locked up or in your line of sight would be gone.  Well great use of a small space. 

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
Part of the plan for the Hobbymat was to buy the matching mill drill head. This arrived yesterday from the Czech Republic and was eagerly unpacked and inspected. It all seem as expected and was packed in a very solid wooden box (thank you to the upstairs neighbour who helped the delivery driver carry it into the cellar  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: ). It fitted straight into the bracket on the lathe and then I had the fun of trueing it all up.

Initially I tried to true up the column against an angle plate on the cross slide and then tramed the head against the lathe bed. I got to around + 0.02mm and left it at that until everything had seen some vibration and I would recheck/readjust.

I made up a temporary drawbar for the ER25 chuck and made the first cuts on a piece of scrap. Everything was much quieter and smoother than milling on the vertical slide of the Chinese lathe (with it's point contact slideways). Unfortunately I don't yet have a 28mm spanner to hold the body of the ER chuck so the cutter started to migrate out as expected.

All in all a good start  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
That should give you a lot of enjoyment. Nice.

(thank you to the upstairs neighbour who helped the delivery driver carry it into the cellar uieter and smoother than milling on the vertical

Until he hears all the noise  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
Don't forget that the Hobbymat collet chuck will fit on the nose of the mill and will take cutters up to 1/2" ;)

I am interested to know if yours suffers with "drop" / wobble as I showed you on mine and if it does how you over come it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
Carl, actually it was a she that helped  :-[ .

Jo, That freeplay/wobble doesn't exist. There isn't any adjustment that I can see, but when I was setting it up there was no movement (or less than 0.01mm) in rotation around the column.

I also got with it the expected hex keys, a 8 and 10 mm spanner and a Stanley screwdriver  :)

I remember what you said about the Hobbymat chuck and have also identified what the collets are but probably won't play with it until I get back from China in a couple of weeks. Any time tomorrow will be spent on trying to run the vertical engine if the weather lets me (21C on Friday, 8C today, possible snow tomorrow  :insane: )
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Carl, actually it was a she that helped  :-[ .

In my mind I thought to write "he/she" but that was followed by "nah. what's the chance?".
I know better than that.  ;D

Make a little something and gift it to her. More help, if needed, will follow.
"To work. To work."

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
Roger

Another toy to play with.  That is nice.  But then you said it is going to snow tomorrow.  I could not believe it so went to check and yes it is forecast to snow tomorrow in Zurich.  Just my luck!  Hope I won't have a hard time in Zurich tomorrow.

Vince

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
There won't be enough snow here to cause problems, but I won't want to be standing in front of the garage trying to start my vertical engine  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
I've had a bit more time to play with the milling head. It's so much more rigid than trying to use the vertical slide on the mini lathe. With a 12mm end mill it was quite happy squaring off some 25 x 25 x 3 angle iron at 560 rpm. 1120 rpm worked, but was a bit too fast.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal