Author Topic: Scrounging...  (Read 2407 times)

Offline kellswaterri

Scrounging...
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »
This is a decidedly part time pursuit and not to be over done...down in town with whole family on shop hunt , so I decided to leave them to it and went walkabout, on the way I called in to a ships chandlers and asked if there was a chance of any old naval brass or bronze bits lying about, after some thought he directed me to the marina boat yard, where I had to find a chap called **R*..having duly found him I then put the same question to him, describing what I was going to use it for ...after about 15 mins, hunting he handed me a 4ft, length of bronze propellor shaft tube, and a 10'' approx. propellor. plus a few small bits and pieces.
                                                       A very nice bloke indeed, but I wont push my luck, not for some time yet
                                                                                           John.                                                         

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Scrounging...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
A few years ago I went with the Chichester Model Engineering club on holiday for a few days to the Black Country and we stopped on route to see one of Telford's early bridges. The other ladies and children as good as gold started walking over and across the bridge and started peering over the side to see the excellent iron work... At this point they realised that they were all alone  :LittleDevil:

Us model engineers had got out of the cars and immediatley spotted that we were along side a small engineering works whose skip was overflowing with what looked to be desirable bits of brass. So quick as a flash one of our number was busy negotiating to acquire a few odds and ends from said scrap bin whilst the rest of us were fishing out the bits we wanted :naughty:

Lets just say the ladies decided that we needed to be discouraged and little of the bounty was allowed to join us in the cars :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
Re: Scrounging...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
Lets just say the ladies decided that we needed to be discouraged and little of the bounty was allowed to join us in the cars :disappointed:

Boo, what spoilsports!  :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown:

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal