Author Topic: Rocker covers  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
Rocker covers
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
WOW!!  Bogs made this space just for me (and any other barmpots out there).  Rocker cover racing is the latest craze for me,so here are some pics of my efforts so far.  If anyone is interested i will give more details. The robot one is a bit more complex than the others (he talks and stuf like that), and once again if there is any interest i can post a few pics of the build.

Cheers  Derek

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Re: Rocker covers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Okay explanation time!!!

What is "Rocker Cover Racing?"

And yes please explain your builds Derek!
They look very cool!
Do you make all the bits and bobs or are they pre-fabbed and assembled?

You can't post something like this and not explain!

Andrew
A new place to hide my swarf!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Well Derek you said it   :jumpingsmileys:

what's the power source ?

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 12:26:29 PM »
Hi Andrew & Stuart.  Rocker cover racing boils down to-----take an old engine rocker cover,stick some wheels on it,(no power allowed just gravity),and hope you get to the end of the track first. as you might imagine,there are quite a few things you can do to achieve this. All very daft,but i like all things daft.  They are all built entirely from bits of scrap,with the exception of the electronics in the robot. For example the wheels on most of the ones i have built are scrap polycarbonate sheet, with ex hard drive discs,and bearings.  I will post some more pics of the robot soon but i need to reduce the size first.

Cheers  Derek. :old:

Bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
Not just for you Dek, for anyone who wants to show unusual things they get up to.

I will let Dek explain it all, he knows all the rules and regs for rocker cover racing.

Maybe you could show the track Dek.

John

Offline lazylathe

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
Sweet!!!!
What an interesting idea and concept!

Will be following along for this ride! :)

We need a "This thread is worthless without pics" smily!!!!

Andrew

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
Bogs, waddayamean not just for me ?? though i was THE ONLY oddball round here  :shrug:   Andrew, i think the idea came from the USA, and is just getting started over here. If you google "rocker cover (or box) racing" you should find lots of info there. The robot one is a bit OTT realy, i dont know of any others that talk and drum there fingers in frustration,but i just thought it would raise a laugh. :Lol:
Here are a few pics of the build. First one is the various bits of scrap i started with, (i seldom work to plans,just make things up as i go along) then various stages of construction. The circuit boards are L to R, remote control, 3w amp,and voice record/playback unit. The voice can be slowed down or speeded up with the little white pot on the board. The two motors (removed from scrap theodolites)control -on the left the fingers-on the right,the mouth,rotating nose,and a rotating disc (ex encoder) placed between an LED and some 
0.25mm fibre optics, that end in the circuit board showing in the front of his body,just a bit more sillyness. All the lights are LED powered, headlamps being made from a scrap light fitting. Last pic is a race in progress. Now for a  :smokin2:,yes i do but only when i am awake.

Cheers Dek. :old:

Offline ref1ection

• Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
Never mind pictures, we need a video of the robot in action. Never seen anything quite like that.

Ray
Indecision... the key to flexibility!

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
Sorry Ray but i would not have a clue how to do that.  :thinking: I will make a vid, and the next time my son pays us a visit i will ask him how to do it.  Not much use sending instructions as i do'nt know my way round computers well enough to understand them. :-[

Cheers Dek. :old:

Offline ref1ection

• Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
Not a problem Dek, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you can get a video up with your son's help

Ray
Indecision... the key to flexibility!

Offline lazylathe

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 01:47:56 AM »
Now that is very cool indeed!!!

Thanks for the update Derek, you have a very interesting hobby! :ThumbsUp:
There is a mighty lot of electronics in the robot one!

Andrew

Bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
If I remember Dek, when I call round, I'll bring my camera and we will make a vid of your now famous rocker cover racers.

If it isn't too secret, maybe you could let the lads have a look at your clock as well.

John

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:51:13 AM »
Thanks For your interest and compliments folks.  Andrew, nothing clever on my part with the electronics, they are all made from kits.
The voice recorder/playback unit gives you from 10 to 35 secs message,and would make a novel alternative to a door bell, or a good device for scareing intruders.  :Director:

John, you asked for it  :-\ I will post some pics of the clock in a new thread.  Just had word from ARC, and will need to come and buy that ER32 nut from you very soon.

Cheers Dek. :old:             P.S. no problem if you want to make a vid and show me how to post it, anytime!!

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 06:51:03 PM »
Vid as requested....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab_j4BYAUpw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab_j4BYAUpw</a>

Cheers

Dek :old:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:23:01 PM by Bogstandard »

Bogstandard

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »
I see Ralph managed to find you then Dek.

I tried to embed the link into your post but it wouldn't accept it, so members will have to go off site to watch it.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal