Engines > From Kits/Castings

1946 Popular Mechanics magazine engine

<< < (2/5) > >>

gmac:
Yikes - old age!!! I had found the Nov 1946 issue on Google Books, but didn't find part II of the article in it. Second search in the document and I went straight to it. Makes me wonder if I was in the right issue in the first place! Thanks Alan.

Mike - you're right; it seems like in the day people were making variations of engine plans they found in print. The same guy has posted a video of another similar engine, the "Midget", from 1936 Popular Mechanics plans;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyJVts6CK_s

Sorry about the confusion! Good luck with the build.

Cheers Garry

b.lindsey:
Nice looking engine(s) in any case. That flywheel/fan looks lethal though and it sure looked like the guy in the video got hisarm close to it!

Bill

Tjark:
Mike, is this the early KIWI design?
I must have a copy off the plans for the KIWI engine somewhere.

Tjark.

Brian Rupnow:
Bill, I have to agree with you---That fan looks lethal!!! I still have scars on my right hand from when I was a kid. I had an old iron horse washing machine engine that I was going to put on a home made go kart. These little engines had a kick starter on them like a motorcycle, I had the flywheel shroud off, tinkering with the governor. The motor wasn't bolted down to anything yet, and being a fool kid, I wanted to see if it would run better after my adjusting of the governor.---So---I kicked the kick starter, the engine started, and promptly fell over onto the flywheel. The vanes on the flywheel stuck in the sand, and the engine proceeded to spin around like a whirling dervish, right at my feet. Being a  fool I promptly reached down to try and pull off the spark plug wire. Now, fifty some odd years later, my grandchildren all ask what made the funny marks all over Grandpa's hand!!!----Brian

b.lindsey:
Ouch Brian....age and maturity does have a few benefits, especially safety consciousness!

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version