Author Topic: Building a 7" rotary table  (Read 65046 times)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: Building a 7" rotary table
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
That's great Rich, does it have a horizontal mounting face on it?

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
The table looks great Rich.

I made a spindle thread mount for my rotary table so that I could use my Taig chucks on it.  What I found was that when machining outside diameters, the cutting forces were such that they unscrewed the chuck. Is that something you've thought of or planned for?

--Tim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »
Hi

Hugh, yes it does have a face for mounting the table vertically. If you go back to page 12 you will see I had to make a thin spacer to lift it clear.

Tim, yes I came across that problem when I had a myford adapter in my 4" table. I drilled and tapped the chuck backplate 6mm through the boss and fitted a pointed grub screw. With the chuck screwed  tightly onto the adapter I drilled a dimple into the thread of the adapter. Tightening the grub screw into the dimple solved the problem. I don't use the grub when the chuck is on the lathe, I don't want to damage the lathe spindle. I can use the same method on this table.

Cheers

Rich

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
Yes I found that, thanks Rich. Hugh.

Offline RichardHed

« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »
Hi

One of the best things I have done is to fit a 4 jaw independant chuck to my vertex 4" rotary table.

Setting jobs up in the mill is easy and very accurate using a DTI. It's so useful that I'm reluctant to remove it when other jobs come up. What I could do with is another rotary table.

Have you seen the price of these things now  :rant: :rant:

It was a big expense when I bought mine about 6 years ago but they have about doubled in price, beyond my pocket now.

Plan B.   Can I build one  :noidea: I remembered seeing Arnold build one so I dug back and found his build and have just finished reading it, excellent Arnold  :praise2: :praise2:

I'm going to have a go at something around 7". Like Arnold I have started by throwing a few bits on the bench.

Some 50mm x 15mm steel bar, a gear, origin unknown but big enough to get a 7" table and thick enough to cut T slots if I wish. Some brass rings for the worm wheel, a bearing and a bit of 1/2 steel plate.

This will be one of those projects that lies on the bench and gets worked on every now and then so don't expect any rapid results  ;D ;D

Cheers

Rich
Do you have prints for the 7" rotary?  I am building one, but I have to make drawings.  It would be easier if the drawings already existed.  Actually, the one I am making is 6", but I prefer a larger one.

Richard

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2021, 08:21:44 PM »
Hi Richard

Sorry no drawings. I sort of made it up as I went along

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal