Author Topic: Gardner 3F  (Read 5287 times)

Offline TonyM

Re: Gardner O
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
So I am going down the casting route. At least for the cylinder and see how that works out. I am getting the patterns printed this week. Just one question for the casters out there. Is a core necessary other than for saving material. Does it make the casting easier or harder.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 05:41:28 PM »
You should probably core the cylinder bore so you dont have shrinkage defects   In the us with iron    round core comes in q/8 inch increments.   Talk to your foundry.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
It also helps keep the cost down if your foundry charge by weight.

You will need to add some draft angle to the flat surfaces particularly the bottom so that it can be be more easily withdrawn from the sand and the core prints if you decide to core it.

Offline TonyM

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 08:12:58 AM »
The guy does SLA printing and says the pattern will be extremely hard plastic. Does anyone have experience with this for patterns. Cost is around 75GBP for both halves.

Offline TonyM

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »
The base drawings are done but the cost of printing is prohibitive. I am getting quotes over 1000GBP for the base. Looks like it will be a wooden pattern or a fabrication. I will have to hone my woodworking skills/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal