Author Topic: Agnes.... 1/16 Scale Pollit & Wigzell Tandem Compound Condensing Engine.  (Read 67236 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Re- Engine Castings

Watch this space, you aint seen nuthin yet. Thats all I'm saying for now.  ;D

Phil
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:59:07 AM by pgp001 »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Phil, that's a superb essay into some terrific forethought.   :praise2:

Don't let those new castings spoil the flow on Agnes though - believe me that's coming from someone who knows about these things  ::) - I'm struggling in that direction at present  :-\

Great work Phil - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Thanks for the update, just wonderful.

Hugh.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Hi Phil,
 The flywheel is a work of art! Thanks for taking the time to give us all master class on it construction.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
I have just found some 25mm square ceramic tiles which I am considering using for the floor for Agnes, everyone goes for the diagonal pattern but I was wondering if I should be different and go for tiles in line with the engine.

Here are a couple of shots showing the sample tiles in place both ways, I think I know the answer, If you try to forget you have ever seen this type of floor before, do you guys have any opinions as to which will look the best based on the photo's.

One other option is to use just the white tiles all over. ( the tiles are a semi matt finish by the way)

Phil
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:46:22 AM by pgp001 »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
I always thought that these big mill engines were originally mounted on granite flags with iron access plates to the lower workings.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Jo

You are probably correct, that is why I cannot decide what to do for the best.
I have photo's of some engine houses showing this type of floor, but they are probably from a slightly later date than Agnes, so maybe I should save the tiled floor for "Bradford"

Next question, where do I get 1/16 scale granite flags  :help:

Phil

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
A 1/16 scale quarry?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Here is one of mine with the tiles square on

By a strip of worktop edging for a granite eddect worktop and cut into suitable squares. Its just Formica type high pressure laminate and can be stuck down easy enough. Or plaster the base and scribe in the joints and finally paint as any granite you by will have a full size pattern not 1/16th

I also doubt that the victorian tiles were 16" square, 6" is more likely so you want 3/8" on the model or 8" at a push at 1/2"

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
I still need to give a lot more thought to the floor options, in the meantime I have been working on the flywheel though.

In order for me to make a form tool for slotting the 200 barring ring teeth, I needed to produce the mating gear for the barring engine.

Here it is being machined on my little Mikron hobber.

Well actually I made three all at the same time, it takes only a few seconds longer to machine the teeth.

Here they are laid over the barring ring drawing just to give an idea of how they fit.

Phil

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Brilliant gears, think I prefer the tiles straight on.

Offline Rivergypsy

Just a thought, but finding a friendly stonemason with a diamond saw could be a source of custom cut granite?

Stunning work by the way - I'm seriously impressed  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
I have just found some 25mm square ceramic tiles which I am considering using for the floor for Agnes, everyone goes for the diagonal pattern but I was wondering if I should be different and go for tiles in line with the engine.
Phil,
Perhaps most people go for the diamond pattern because the square pattern will show up slight misalignments between the tile and the  engine.
Alan

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it makes it all worthwhile.

Agnes has a new boyfriend, he is called Sanderson.

Phil

I have a set of Sanderson castings.  Unfortunately, the cylinder casting was no good, so I'm going to have to fabricate or machine another one.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Or ....possibly.....if you befriend the local countertop shop....you could cut them from Corian.

Lot's of possibilities there.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal