Author Topic: Agnes.... 1/16 Scale Pollit & Wigzell Tandem Compound Condensing Engine.  (Read 67182 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Hi Phil nice to see you back on her:

Interesting, you are actually using your Bernard multi sized collet chuck  :thinking: I must be honest I have one but I don't use it. It doesn't hold short things very well  :disappointed: Not sure which lathe you are using there, by the look of the nose it seems to have a L1 (?) fitting.

Dividing head: That looks the same as my Boxford/Harrison one but you have mounted it the opposite way round on the bed to what I do. Any reason? The dividing plates mount is on the other side  :headscratch: Mine has a boxford nose thread on it I am not sure what thread yours has got it seems finer and how have you secured that mandrel onto the nose of the indexing head: All I can see is that nut  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Nice work Phil  :ThumbsUp: - Every little bit is a step closer  ;)

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
I like the way you show the full sized version, then the scale replica you're making. Nice work.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Thanks for the positive comments, it helps keep me motivated.

Jo
I will answer some of your questions first.
I have done my usual trick of letting myself get distracted again, Agnes has had to take a back seat for a couple of weeks as I have been devoting my attention to Tom instead ( Tom Thumb that is )
You would not believe the keyhole surgery I had to perform in order to re-wire that little motor with a new mains cable, and yes I did have to make a puller to get the armature out because there is only one removable end cap and all the connections are buried at the blind end.
The spindle must have had a knock at the pulley end at some point in its life as it was slightly bent, so I fitted new bearings and made a new spindle for it. Its a good job I had some 1/4 x 32 TPI chasers for my die head.
I have machined some registers on the spindle casting to allow guards to be fitted, so making those is my next job.

For those that don't know Tom has been in Jo's care prior to being adopted by me.

Anyway back to Agnes, the Multi-size collet chuck pretty much lives permanently on the big lathe which is a Harrison L5A it has the L00 chuck fitting.
The dividing head is a Tom Senior one, it is mounted the opposite way round to what you might expect because it gives more clearance on the milling machine, if the main head is on the left I have less room because of the quill return spring on the high speed head which clashes with the raised detent pin housing on the dividing head.
As for the spindle, it is my own design, I made it to accept the smaller EC size Burnerd multi-size collets, which have a capacity up to 1" bore, so the mandrel just goes straight into the 1" collet.

(Did I mention I like collets)  ;D

Hope that is clear.
Phil
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:15:05 PM by pgp001 »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Looking forward to seeing some use of our Dumore grinder, as I told you after XX  ;) years I had never used it. Your experiences with the wiring might explain why someone previous opted for the wrap the cracked rubber cable with insulation tape.

:facepalm: You are right mine is the larger L0, the smaller is the "00".

I have been thinking about some collets for my two three multiple dividing/indexing heads: My 5C Stevenson's indexer is currently having a holiday with JasonB. I did think of fitting a 5C to the Elliot but with the Stevensons what is the point  :shrug: I can fit a DA200 directly to my VDH.. now should I also make an adapter for the DA180s  :noidea:

Then of course there are the Cowells ones.. I was going to let the dividing head and one of the indexing heads go with C1, but then SCO asked how much I wanted for all of it and his reaction was  :lolb: I can fit the Cowells DA200 directly to the indexer I was going to keep...

Did I mention I found another indexer hiding behind a cupboard? OK it is massive but it also comes with a universal head which takes 40int tools... maybe I should start a "what should I do with this thread for it"  :naughty:

One cannot have too many Collets  ;D

Jo

Online sco

It wasn't supposed to come across  :lolb: more  :o

Not having a good month at the moment - had to fork out for 4 new tyres, tax and mot and a gearbox repair.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Don't worry it and the multitude of gadgets can all go on HWS when the time is right for £1500 looking nicely clock-ie, complete with all its original receipts and a load of clock making stuff :naughty:.

I know the feeling mine was four tyres, one replacement wheel :o, timing belt, service, MoT and tax  :'(

Sorry  :offtopic:

Jo

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Whilst doing other jobs in the workshop I like to try and leave a machine getting on with something else. More often than not it's the shaper.

I am shortly going to need eight slices of cast iron to make the internal ring gear segments for the flywheel. Many years ago I saved an old table from a cutter grinder that got scrapped and today was its turn to get converted from scrap metal into something useful.

First job was to lop off one end in the saw to make it a manageable size for slicing.

I was going to saw the rest into slices, but I found I had a solid carbide slitting saw that would just reach through the thickness.

Nice and steady cuts on a slow power feed and all eight slices done in a couple of hours.

I have high hopes for this material it seems to machine very nicely. I am now wondering what I can convert the rest of the slab into.

Phil

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Hi All

I have a bit more progress to share with you.

The flywheel hub needs some pockets in the side faces to house the back of the dummy wedges.

I decided that I would finish the dummy wedges later, and get on with the spokes next. The spokes are hollow and pulled into the hub with long cap head screws, the outer end of the spokes have a round flange with webs and raised bosses for the four bolts that fasten it to the flywheel rim. So each spoke had to be fabricated from six machined parts silver soldered together.

Here is the start of an outer flange.

The main part of the spoke just happened to be as near as made no difference N°2 Morse taper, my taper turning attachment on the Harrison lathe was already set up for that so eight spokes were done in quick time.

Here is a trial assembly to make sure they fit the hub correctly.

You get some idea of how the spokes are going to look now.

So on to the Boley jig borer and start removing the unwanted metal to reveal the webs.

Then add some holes for the bushes that will form the raised bosses.

Starting to look like spokes nearly.

Now the boring bit making 32 top hat bushes.

Then final assembly with silver solder.

They looked a bit grotty at this stage.

But I took them to work and bead blasted them.

So we now have the hub and spokes together at last.

This assembly will eventually have the ends of each spoke finally machined to length so it fits inside the rim sections.

Next I will finish off the dummy wedges, firstly blank sheet metal discs were turned to fit the recesses in each side of the hub, along with a ring which will be loctited on last job to hold everything in place.

Again using the Boley this had the slots machined where the dummy wedges fit.

A little bit of filing to square up the ends and they are finished.

Next up are the 16 dummy wedges. I made 8 pieces with one on each end.

The outer radius was applied with a belt linisher, then some de-burring with a fine file.

Before final parting off the parent metal.

This is the effect I was aiming for shown on the full size engine.

This is my model version of it, not 100% exact but I am pleased with it.

Phil

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Wow! That's a bit of nice work there.
To be 100% exact you'd have to be full-size...no?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
That's an impressive update!

Beautiful machine work.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
I'm still trying to catch my breath here Phil. What a awesome bit of engineering and fabrication. Nicely done Phil. I differently like..................   :praise2:

Don

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Hi Phil, as Don already said, trying to catch my breath. A lot of  parts for a single flywheel. Your work at this build is much more than impressive. Thanks for sharing all these details with us.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, it makes it all worthwhile.

Agnes has a new boyfriend, he is called Sanderson.

Phil

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Nice bit of progress there Phil, she is looking impressive  :ThumbsUp:

We both seem to share the need to house to a nice set of orphan castings  :embarassed:.

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal