Author Topic: 1/2 inch American copper pipe fittings  (Read 4311 times)

fcheslop

1/2 inch American copper pipe fittings
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
Hi. will anyone be kind enough to give me the dimensions of an American 1/2 inch copper pipe blanking fitting.  the type with no solder rings in them ??
In the U.K they would be 15mm end feed fittings
Its for a project with my grandson as we are now building a pop pop boat
Best wishes
frazer

Offline mike 44

Re: 1/2 inch American copper pipe fittings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
Mc Master  Carr has them listed as No Stop Socket couplings. ID= 1/2"   OD=5/8"
Female ends ,  item # 5520k203
Catalog pg   222   You may also find them listed as slip fittings or repair fittings at other websites.

mike

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »
Hi. will anyone be kind enough to give me the dimensions of an American 1/2 inch copper pipe blanking fitting.  the type with no solder rings in them ??

Do you have a picture of one?
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:32:01 AM »
This is what they are like, our domestic copper pipe is sized by its OD so the cap fits over 15mm OD pipe which has a nominal 1/2" bore.

From Mikes description it sounds like the US ones are sized to fit over 1/2" OD pipe

Frazer you can get 12mm endcaps in the UK which would be the nearest if the US ones fit 1/2" OD pipe

Edit, looks like US pipe is sized like ours 1/2" pipe is 5/8" od in which case a 15mm fitting will be th enearest match

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:38:41 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Mainer

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »
I assume you mean tubing, not pipe. 1/2" copper tubing is nominal 1/2" id and 5/8" od.  There are three weights:K, L, and M. K is the heaviest, M the lightest. Typically L is used for water lines, M is used for plumbing radiators and such.
See http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-copper-tubing/=n8v58g
http://www.mcmaster.com/#copper-solder-joint-tube-fittings/=n8v5v7

fcheslop

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It looks like the 15mm end feed fittings are the same
It just looked so small that I was unsure as to how they measured up .The build can go ahead as the grandson is becoming interested and I'm now planning a few simple toys for him to build and thought a little wooden pop pop boat would be a good start as it can be built over a very short period of time.Then a simple oscillating plant and a four plank hull.
He is only seven so I want to keep them simple enough for him to actually do a good bit himself
Thanks again
best wishes
frazer

Offline mike 44

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »

Jason, your correct the coupling goes over the OD of the pipe. If I'm not mistaken in the USA "copper pipe" comes in straight lengths ,L,K,or M. Copper tubing comes annealed and in rolls. I do know the the fittings will work on pipe,not sure about tubing.The couplings are used for repair work where a shoulder at the mid point would prevent the coupling from being pushed up out of the way temporarily before soft soldering.

.mike

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It looks like the 15mm end feed fittings are the same
It just looked so small that I was unsure as to how they measured up .The build can go ahead as the grandson is becoming interested and I'm now planning a few simple toys for him to build and thought a little wooden pop pop boat would be a good start as it can be built over a very short period of time.Then a simple oscillating plant and a four plank hull.
He is only seven so I want to keep them simple enough for him to actually do a good bit himself
Thanks again
best wishes
frazer

If you are looking for exact ID, OD, and length I can pop up to the hardware with a caliper and get some numbers.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

fcheslop

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer Steve. The metric ones are good enough.
cheers
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:42:48 PM by fcheslop »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal