Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

engine size formula

(1/2) > >>

jct842:
I have often wondered if there is a formula for flywheel size verses engine size.  What I am getting at is a small engine with a large flywheel does run smoother and slower,  I eventually would like to build one with a over sized flywheel,  way out of proportion.  I have thought of possibly gearing down the flywheel too.  Some where around a 1" bore and a 2" stroke.  Possibly using a auto brake disc for the flywheel since they are easy to come by and a matching bearing and mount can come from a junker.    john

Maryak:
A very basic starting point is 15 lb per 1 HP.

Now you have to work that back to the engine BHP the size of the rim and the diameter of the wheel to give the equivalent energy in ftlbs.

Safety 1st...............Flwheels if oversped, (peripheral speed) and under designed, (factor of safety less than 10) can burst and even a small one on a model could be very nasty if it's chasing you around your shop.

Machinerys Handbook has a pretty comprehensive section on flywheel design and it would pay to use this or something similar before setting things in motion.

Hope this helps

jct842:
thanks, I do have the handbook.  I will do some research with it.   john

(I do want as slow a speed as earthly possible though)

Captain Jerry:

--- Quote from: jct842 on July 23, 2012, 02:41:19 AM ---I have often wondered if there is a formula for flywheel size verses engine size.  What I am getting at is a small engine with a large flywheel does run smoother and slower,  I eventually would like to build one with a over sized flywheel,  way out of proportion.  I have thought of possibly gearing down the flywheel too.  Some where around a 1" bore and a 2" stroke.  Possibly using a auto brake disc for the flywheel since they are easy to come by and a matching bearing and mount can come from a junker.    john

--- End quote ---

Gearing down a flywheel can work well to simulate a load without distorting the proportions of the model.  Here is a video of an engine that I built last year with a small flywheel that can be started and run on lung power.

This is the same engine but it is driving an 8" bar type flywheel through a 5.25:1 planetary reduction gear.  It is only a temporary jury rigged setup to provide some starting load and slow speed operation to the engine.  The "chuff-chuff" sound was an added benefit.

Jerry

jct842:
I like slow.  For me to see each of the engines parts working is a joy.  Just about any one can have an engine go so fast you miss all the different parts working together.  I would love to have a copy of yours on the end of my table to run at will.   john

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version