Author Topic: Need ?? x 24 tpi jam nuts  (Read 5069 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Need ?? x 24 tpi jam nuts
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »
I have acquired a Delta Homecraft Bench grinding/buffing arbor I'm cleaning up to use. It has 1/2? x 24 tpi threads. The arbor came with only 1 ea. RH and LH nuts. I have searched Fastenall, but they don't list them. Original part #s are SBG-8 for RH and SBG-9 for left hand.
Anyone have a source for spares? Or maybe a tap to make them. I can thread on my mini-lathe but would prefer to buy ready made.

Chuck

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
Re: Need ?? x 24 tpi jam nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Chuck, Enco has a 1/2-24 RH tap for you, at about $18.  You will probably have to search the other parts outlets
to find the left hand one.
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
Thanks, Dean. As one of the larger Delta Replacement part vendors has none of either RH ,or LH, if I can find a LH tap at that price, I may go into business...

Chuck

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
'

Chuck, here is a 1/2-24 LH tap on ebay.  He has 8 of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-24L-H-HS-4Flute-Hand-Tap-Plug-Style-/260890003231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbe41871f

Greenfield made.  Should be a US manufacturer.  Seller is in MI.
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:45:15 AM »
Dean, that's too rich for me. I'll have to go with what I have. Cheaper to make a new arbor shaft with 1/2 x 20 thread. Already have those nuts!

Chuck

Offline Mainer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »
Why not just make the nuts and cut the threads on your lathe? A 1/2" hole is large enough to internally thread without a great deal of pain. Make a small threading tool from drill rod if you don't have anything suitable.

www.victornet.com has 1/2-24 RH taps; not sure about LH. Since one of their specialties seems to be weird taps, an inquiry to them about 1/2-24 LH might get you something.

Or make a tap from drill rod. It's got to thread only one hole, the thickness of a jam nut, so it doesn't have to be long-lived or particularly efficient. Make a tap, call yourself a toolmaker! :D

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:38:12 AM »
You should be able to cut the thread on the lathe, I'v managed 3/8" BSF when I could not get a tap anywhere in this town, and it was an urgent job, the local engineering firm did'nt think it was possible to do on their machinery, but they neered to get their compressor going again (it was a castelated nut in the valve gear).1 1/2 hrs, nut made, including hex and split pin slots.  Ian S C. ps; You could make an adiquate tool from a 1/4" slot drill, or even a twist drill of a similar size, unless you already have a small boring bar.    Ian S C
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:26:06 AM by Ian S C »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal