Author Topic: The Cutty Sark  (Read 7094 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: The Cutty Sark
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:39 AM »
Jim

In my earlier post I referred to a "well found ship" meaning a ship in good condition with no structural deficiencies, equipped to deal with the expected conditions, and manned by competent seamen.  I agree that it was criminally negligent to take a ship with known structural problems into the face of a storm when there were other options. 

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:05 AM »
You are correct Jerry, suspicious and reckless behavior for certain.

The Cutty Sark, is a LOT bigger than I had envisioned. Would truly enjoy a look-see at the rest of that steering gear too. Thanks Stew for sharing your trip photos with us. :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:30 AM »
Thanks Stew, interesting pics. She's a lot bigger than I've always envisioned.

Is that a real bloke up in the rigging?

I think its a big rubber moulding you can see the sprue in the middle of its back, far more tasteful than siting it on its back side

:Lol: :Lol: :Lol:

I lived in the Greenwich Palace in 1968 whilst I did my knife and fork course on becoming an Commissioned Officer. Is Chichesters Yacht still there next to Cutty Sark?. Not to mention the Trafalgar Hotel and Watneys Red Barrel just outside the palace gates.

Didn't notice Chichesteres Yacht but there is a pub close to the Cutty Sark called the Gypsy Moth I have a feeling that real Gypsy Moth is at the national Maritime Museum some ware on the South Coast. I'm pleased to say that Watneys Red Barrel has been consigned to history where all crap bear should be.

Couple of questions ..

Is that copper sheathing on the hull?

How's the new boiler coming on ?

Hi Dave  Its not copper it something called Muntze Metal 60% Copper 40 % Zinc with a dash of iron it's suppose to be cheaper and more effective than copper.

Don't mention the boiler  :disappointed:

Thanks for checking in all

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Mainer

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »
A local folksinger, Charlie Ipcar http://www.charlieipcar.com/ , has written a song about the sinking of the Bounty. His research while he was writing the song came to the same conclusion Ron stated: the captain was a fool to head directly toward a hurricane in a ship known to have structural problems.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal