Engines > Your Own Design

Fairbanks 80HP 3 cylinder model

(1/52) > >>

cfellows:
I can't seem to get excited about resuming work on my Bessemer model, so I've decided to tackle another engine model that has been on my list of projects to do for some time now.  This is the Fairbanks 80hp, 3 cylinder. 

Castings have been available for an IC version and I've seen several of these at model engine shows.  Here is a video of one such model...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqsi6Z2qsEI

My engine will be somewhat smaller with a 3/4" x 7/8" bore and stroke.  And, although my engine will be four stroke in operation, it will be powered by compressed air using over head intake valves and my slave exhaust valve.  For those of you familiar with the IC model, and perhaps the original engine, my version will have the main bearings and caps contained in the upper crankcase half instead of the bottom.  While I want to adhere to the original scale dimensions as closely as I can, my model will be somewhat stylized and probably not have all the detail seen in the original.  However, I will try to add some bling and make it somewhat interesting.

Finally, I'm making a serious attempt to model each part in Alibre before constructing that part, so I should end the project with a complete set of drawings.  Below is the first installment showing the upper crankcase half.  It will be machined from solid aluminum or cast iron, yet to be decided.  If you download the 3D PDF, you can click to activate it, then rotate the part by holding down the mouse and dragging it around.

Chuck

steamer:
Sweet Chuck!  I'll be watching along!

Dave

smfr:
Me too. Looks like a great engine to model.

Simon

cfellows:
Thanks, guys.  Didn't have the right materials on hand to start on the engine this weekend so SWMBO "pursuaded" me to build a doll bed for the granddaughter.  Now everything in the shop is covered with sawdust...  :(

Went down to the local metal supply store today and picked up a nice chunk of Aluminum.

Measured it up and mounted it in the bandsaw to carve off a piece.

Finally cleaned up the two edges with a 2" face mill.  So now I have chunk of aluminum that's oversized by about 1/8" on top and sides and almost an inch too long.

This is going to require a lot of hogging with an end mill and my experience with this sort of thing has always been mediocre at best.  Guess the secret is to take it slow.  If anybody has any hints or videos worth watching on doing this without a CNC mill, I'd love to see them...

Chuck

Don1966:
That's a nice engine Chuck, I will be following as well. Good luck bud.

Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version