Author Topic: I still HATE polishing  (Read 14003 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: I still HATE polishing
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 02:04:05 PM »
Another quote from "Model Engineer" from a few years ago, make and finish each part of the model as if the opart was in its self a gold medal exhibit.  It may have been someone like Cherry Hill, or some other like modeler.   Ian S C

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 05:07:03 AM »
:Love: bling. I like rounded edges, they blend one part into the next. I've blung so many parts my fingers are permanently black. This engine would look like all the others out there if I didn't blang on it.  :cheers:

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 08:50:26 AM »
When I first went to sea, I was known as the 3rd hand. That meant everything that nobody else wanted to do. The main engine had this bloody great double reduction gearbox and mounted in all its' glory in the middle was a bloody great big gauge board  with a gauge for every bearing and every sprayer oil pressure and they were all in brass housings. It taught me one thing; how to hate polishing brass. The ambient temperature was between 120 & 140 F and the box itself was 120 F so your nether regions and feet were slowly parboiled as you made things gleam in the dark.

If it moves salute it, if not paint it or polish it.

My 1st American built ship had 100's of gauges but guess what, they were mounted in beautiful gray non polishing plastic housings. I still thank our US cousins for this.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
I would like to take this opportunity to make an apology. I was rereading this thread last night and the post I made did not come across one bit like it was intended. I was trying to say that there are many ways to go about it and none are really pleasant, unless you just like to do it.
I see Trout likes to and it shows, beautiful job Trout. The reference to "it's my pinion and should be yours" was a line used by a radio DJ in the Carolinas who did a comedic commentary. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously and I guess I should have added a LOL or three. If I sounded like an a$$ I am truly sorry and it wasn't intentional.

Y'alls Redneck
eric

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
I still HATE polishing
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 11:33:59 PM »
Trout, very nicely blung.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »
Clearly this thread shows us all as differing on our wanted final results  :D

As kinda said, each to his own.   I'm with Dennis... Love a little bling. But then again I make nothing like replicas.
(Loverly engine BTW Dennis)

Eric, No issues here... Lathe is used due to lack of space Not much swinging room in a 6-7ft square workshop!
Trust me, if I could have a dedicated buffer it'd be great... PIYA changing the chuck for the polishing rig  :wallbang:

Bob, fully understandable aversion to shiny stuff. Keep your shades on.... I'll have a real shiny finger engine on here soon  8)  ;)

Ralph.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »
Clearly this thread shows us all as differing on our wanted final results  :D
As kinda said, each to his own.

:ThumbsUp:

Diversity. Gotta love it.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 05:21:17 AM »
Just got around to re-reading this thread. Thanks for the compliments guys. Eric, no apology needed, my friend.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »
I remember when you built that engine Trout', and it was a beauty then too. Well, maybe just a bit shinier :hellno:  WHUT??

BC1
Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal