Author Topic: Jacob's Ladder  (Read 14722 times)

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
Re: Jacob's Ladder
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »
Video worked for me too Bill  :cartwheel:
You're going to start a craze on building these  :Lol:

Steve

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »
I like John's description...a futile endeavor it is for sure...but it knocked a couple of things off my list of "want to do's" I think the kids will like it at the shows too...it should be relative indestructable and can still be easily turned by hand.

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 01:51:42 AM »
That will most assuredly be a huge hit for the kids at shows, Bill. Even some of the adults too, at least the younger-at-heart individuals. Any drawings you do would sure go a long way towards the beginning of building a better mousetrap.  :noidea:

BC1
Jim

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 03:11:46 AM »
Great stuff.... everyone needs a time just to be a kid again and this is a fun way to do it.  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 04:01:00 AM »
Bill,
That is such a cool little contraption!  I love it!  I think I'm going to have to build one of those someday too.
Thanks for sharing your work with us!
Kim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
Just saw the video.  What a wonderfull toy Bill. :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Apart from making the top cover transparent how about making the side where the balls climb up also transparent so one can see it working from the side and also see the cam.  Just a suggestion.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
Thanks Vince.  I have thought about a clear back plate for greater visibility just as you mention. It would be easy enough to do since that plate is just rectangular with 8 counterbored holes for the SHCS's that mount it to the two end plates. I may give it a try yet. My only concern is how the clear acrylic or Lexan would wear with the steps riding up and down against it, but only one way to tell and that is  to try it. I suppose even if that was a problem, one could occasionally pull the back plate off and repolish the inner surface.  Acrylic will for sure buff out very nicely as I have tried that before. Thanks for an excellent suggestion!!

Bill

Arbalest

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
You don't need to enclose it. Most of the others I've seen only had one side but you don't even need that:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLh8DtltHK8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLh8DtltHK8</a>

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
I was wondering the same about using a clear back as well as the probable wear on it.
How about keeping it clear from just above the ladder? Cut at an angle to follow the stairs?
That would minimize the wear and you could get a good view to the inside.

I thought it would be neat to see the ball return too. But instead of clear plastic...maybe just a slot too small for the ball to pass through but big enough to see the ball pass by?

I just saw Arbalest's post. Also a possibility.

I'm seriously thinking of this as a gift. I'd like to make it smaller though. And I would have it enclosed so the player doesn't have to worry about losing anything. I think Bill, you mentioned plans? I'll be interested.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Chris J

• Great Yarmouth - England
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
Thanks Vince.  I have thought about a clear back plate for greater visibility just as you mention. It would be easy enough to do since that plate is just rectangular with 8 counterbored holes for the SHCS's that mount it to the two end plates. I may give it a try yet. My only concern is how the clear acrylic or Lexan would wear with the steps riding up and down against it, but only one way to tell and that is  to try it. I suppose even if that was a problem, one could occasionally pull the back plate off and repolish the inner surface.  Acrylic will for sure buff out very nicely as I have tried that before. Thanks for an excellent suggestion!!

Bill

I wonder if actual glass would be better material than perspex ?
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

Arbalest

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Here's another.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ip2lbifl2o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ip2lbifl2o</a>

Arbalest

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
Just received this link, one of them includes a stair type lifter.

http://woodgears.ca/marbles/paul.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal