Author Topic: engine fro grandson  (Read 10644 times)

Offline hammer

Re: engine fro grandson
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:14:34 PM »
The fly wheel, I had picked up a piece of 2" brass rod at the scrapyard (£3) recently. It had the centre bored out at one end, I also had a short piece of 1" rod.  Parted off 1/2" and opened out the bore and pressed the 1" rod in, then did the same for a 1/2" rod, this saved a lot of swarf.  :cartwheel: This produced three ratio for the take off belts. I intend to make a well with a pump, a hammer worked off a cam and a dynamo with a lamp.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:20:04 PM by hammer »

Offline hammer

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
There's more today. fitted the bands on the boiler. Found some 3/32" + 1/4" too thick really but it looks OK. Bent it by hand working around & around until it fit on the boiler with a 1/4" lap. Filed a tapper on opposite sides and  :zap: soft soldered together. Join will be behind the steam pipe.   The lower band has a plate over the fire hole to protect the timber. Polished & pushed on the acrylic varnish (this will not burn) hold them in place. The wood in the last 2 photo is the base, just stoping boiler rolling.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:39:51 PM by hammer »

Offline hammer

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
The pipes & the patterns (solder) A change this time the exhaust goes up the chimney. After saving making swarf yesterday being wasteful today. Boring out a bronze bearing for the burner. In the photo small bottles for the meths marked to the individual fills.  Finally the two models, won't be boring you any more. But I may post a video of them both working.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »
That's a nice pair. Clearly brethren, but each with his own personality.

--Tim

Offline hammer

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
Thanks to all who looked, and a special thanks to Tim for leaving a comment.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »
I don't know how I missed your last couple of posts. (I go between work and home and sometimes forget to hit 'mark as unread' so I can check again.)

In any case, those models look really good and will be a fine gift.
I'll be interested in the video you mentioned.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal