Engines > Your Own Design

Two-cylinder, double-acting wobbler

<< < (2/19) > >>

Don1966:
Hi Simon, good to see you back. Your rendering looks good. I can not see the port opening that good to really make out what you have. I will be watching it t see if you make a move on it.

Don

Bearcar1:
I was wondering where you disappeared to Simon. I too am glad to see you back in the saddle. That looks to be a very robust design and I really like the addition of the outboard bearing pedestals, as I have never liked the rather unsightly threaded studs and spring approach that is common to most oscillating types. I'll be following along.

BC1
Jim

b.lindsey:
Simon, any thought to adding a valve which could switch the inlet and exhaust ports to make the engine reversing?

Bill

smfr:

--- Quote from: zeeprogrammer on February 17, 2013, 07:44:30 AM ---Looks like an interesting and fun project. I'll be watching.
Good to see you in the shop.

--- Quote from: smfr on February 17, 2013, 06:33:29 AM ---Being double acting, it needs a gland on the top cover.

--- End quote ---

Being a newbie, I don't understand this. Help.

--- End quote ---

Hi Zee!

Wobblers are usually single acting, so the end of the cylinder is open; air/steam pressure only pushes the piston out, and it's pushed back in by the momentum of the flywheel. There's just one port at the bottom end of the cylinder.

A double-acting wobbler has a port at each end of the cylinder, so the top needs to be "closed off" with a cylinder cover (with a hole for the piston rod). The gland is a threaded fitting on the cylinder cover through which the piston rod passes, and it tightens down onto some packing (e.g. teflon thread) to seal around the rod. That's going to add some friction, but it does mean that the piston can both "push" and "pull".

Hope that clears it up!
Simon

zeeprogrammer:
Thanks Simon. That does clear it up for me.
I was looking at my Model 2A/2B and it looked similar to (half of) your drawing.
It has, as you said, a cylinder cover with a hole for the piston.
I couldn't figure out the gland thing as mine doesn't have it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version