Author Topic: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 213179 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2013, 12:32:35 AM »
Thanks guys; I sure appreciate the all the nice comments.

Can you post some details of your spring wire tensioner?

Col;

The spring wire tensioner is a handy little device I made many years ago from plans (if I remember correctly) in one of the Strictly IC Magazines. I did a quick look this evening but I couldn’t dig it up.

It has a couple of nice features; the vee supports the mandrel so a center isn’t needed unless you want to use one. The tension dial has numbers and a pointer so you can get more consistent results from spring to spring. It usually takes me a few tries or more to get an acceptable spring.

Here are a few pictures; the knurled knob has a screw which pushes on a brass insert. I use a rubber disc in the bottom of the hole so the music wire is compressed between the brass and rubber.

Marinus;

Yes some of the brass parts have been bead blasted with a very fine glass bead.

Dave,

The lathe is a Weiler Condor and a real pleasure to use; it was sold off as excess years ago from my employer and I was able to purchase it from the local machinery dealer who purchased all the equipment. It went from the loading dock at work straight to my shop.

Thanks again guys.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:08:27 PM by Dave Otto »

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2013, 12:58:59 AM »
Hemingway have a similar spring winder here,

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Universal_Spring_Winder.html

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2013, 01:30:04 AM »
Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I got the head studs and nuts machined; the length of the studs will be adjusted after the head is complete and the gasket made.

The prints indicated using high crown bolts but all the pictures I have seen of the original engines used studs and nuts so that is what I chose to use on my engine.

I’m not going to go into any detail just a couple of quick photos of the finished product.

Except for the head which I have been working on this last week (and will have an update in the next day or so) this brings me up to the current progress level of the engine

Thanks for checking in,
Dave
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:28:33 PM by Dave Otto »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »

The spring wire tensioner is a handy little device I made many years ago from plans (if I remember correctly) in one of the Strictly IC Magazines. I did a quick look this evening but I couldn’t dig it up.

You can find the article in Issue 34 on page 5 of Strictly IC.

Looking forward to the construction of the head 8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

Jo thanks for looking up the spring wire tension tool.

Well I have finally been able to spend some quality shop time on the Pacific. Within the last week I was able to finish up the cylinder head; another little milestone in its construction.

As I had indicated earlier the internal design was altered somewhat to keep from having to drill and plug holes in the side of the head. I created a cavity which would have been more like the original cored water jacket. This way the holes that connect to the ports on the top surface of the cylinder open directly into the water jacket cavity; I’m happy with the way it turned out.

Here are the castings after machining the chucking lugs.

Starting with the upper casting the top surface is profiled.

I created a 2D sketch of the curved profile and put in an intersection point every .0025”. These dimensions were entered into an Excel Spread sheet that could be printed and used at the lathe. The dome is a little more than ½ done here.

Here is a sample of one of the 3 pages of coordinates used to create the upper curve.

After some careful filing and sanding I’m quite please with the result.

After the top surface was finished soft jaws were bored and the upper casting flipped around to work on the underside.

The chucking lug is cut off and the head machined to the proper thickness.

The head is counter bored both for cylinder clearance and the register for the lower casting.

Using a pair of soft jaws in the milling vise the next part of the cavity is machined; notice the one boss that is a little extra big. This is where the outlet port will pass through and the inlet ports will fall between two of the bosses on the opposite side.

Back in the lathe the internal dome is machined using the same method as on the top.

Starting on the lower casting the baffles are turned to be a slip fit in the cylinder and the larger OD is turned to press into the upper casting.

Transferred to the mill and indicated in; the bolt circle is drilled along with the two water ports.

The lower casting is parted from the chucking lug using an insert type parting tool.  Just a little bit of work on a lapping plate removed the tool marks and left a nice flat surface.

Here are the upper and lower castings ready for assembly.

And after they have been assembled.

One more detail to take care of is drilling and tapping the water outlet port.  The port is at a 45 deg. angle; so the head was dialed in and the spin indexer used to set the angle.

Here is the finished head installed on the engine; I’m really pleased how it turned out.

Thanks for checking in,
Dave

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:59:59 PM by Dave Otto »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2013, 01:39:29 AM »
That is brilliant work Dave.  I can see that I need to go back to doing electrical work. Good job on the head.
 :praise2: :praise2:

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2013, 02:21:51 PM »
It's a privilege and a pleasure to see Dave's work, and shows me what I am hoping to achieve someday. Thanks, Dave, please keep showing us your work.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Here is the finished head installed on the engine; I’m really pleased how it turned out.

Dave

I should think you would be it looks fantastic  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
Great work Dave. :praise2: :praise2:

Really enjoyed the step-by-step progress report.

Vince

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2013, 01:20:27 AM »
Hi Everyone

Thanks of all the great feedback I really appreciate it.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:18 AM »

Hi everyone,

I have been able to make some progress on the piston this week;  so far all is going well but is was a bit of a challenge to get it dialed in.

Here is a shot of the raw aluminum casting.

And a view of the inside.

The casting was chucked in the small 3 jaw chuck and tapped around to get it running true. After it was running about as good as I could get it the chucking lug was machined.

After the chucking lug was machined the piston was flipped around and chucked in my baby Sherline 5C 4 jaw chuck.  This is a sweet little chuck for small work.

The inside of the piston was indicated in. first I centered the inside of the wrist pin bosses then centered the inside of the skirt 90 degrees to  the pin bosses. A lot of checking here but I finally got it to a point I was comfortable with.

The outside was rough turned leaving about .005 to remove later.

The inside of the skirt was turned along with facing the bosses where the wrist pin set screw jam nuts will seat.

The piston was flipped around and the chucking lug turned true with the piston body. A size was chosen that would fit in a standard collet (25/32”) which is about where it cleaned up.

The piston now put in the indexing fixture; using an adjustable parallel and precision to square the pin bosses . This indexer can pivot 90 degrees so the plan is to mill the inside surfaces of the pin bosses then rotate the piston down to drill and ream the wrist pin hole.

The bottom of the piston is indicated in; also with the piston horizontal the indexer was indicated parallel with the X axis.

The inside surfaces of the pin bosses have been milled to .750” and the set screw hole spotted just for a sanity check. I will probably drill and ream the pin hole first then rotate it back up and do the drilling and tapping for the set screws.

Thanks for checking in.

Dave

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #176 on: June 12, 2013, 05:35:57 AM »
Good going Dave.

Vimce

Offline ColH

• Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
Thanks for providing the detail on the spring tensioner Dave. 

Apologies for the delayed response but have been moving house.

Your quality of work is to be envied. Something to aspire to once I get  my workshop fitted out.

Col
ColH

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
Great set up and progress shots Dave.....Lots of great info!

Beautiful work! :cheers:

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Thanks guys,

Work on the piston stalled as I need to hone the cylinder before I can finish it. A friend and customer of mine owns and runs an automotive machine shop; he has the cylinder and will hone it for me on the Sunnen hone.

I got started on the big end brasses yesterday so I should have an update in a day or so.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal