Author Topic: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 213377 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #585 on: May 01, 2018, 12:13:41 AM »
Roland thanks for the nudge, it's hard for me to believe that it has been almost 6 months since my last update on this project. I have had numerous things taking up my time including the day job.

I was able to spend some time this last weekend working on a battery box design and actually got some wood blanks cut up ready for machining. Maybe with a little luck I will be able to post a video of it running in the near future.

Jan is an exceptional model engineer; he has created one of the nicest models of this beautiful and unique engine. I’m not sure that I’m up to the task of making my engine look 125 years old, but I do have some ideas that don’t include shiny paint and polished brass.

Bill, I found a video of Jan’s engine, hopefully mine will run just a nice. Because of the pump my engine does not have the hit and miss governor.

Thanks for checking in.
Dave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5XManbBYlo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5XManbBYlo</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #586 on: May 01, 2018, 12:37:00 AM »
Thanks Dave, what a lovely sounding engine. I have no doubt yours will sound just as good even without the hit and miss aspect.

Bill

Offline RolandMM

• Curmudgeon
« Reply #587 on: May 04, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »
Dave,  Thank you for answering Bill with a video of Jan's Pacific.  There are other Pacific videos on my website MorrisonandMarvin.com   at   http://www.morrisonandmarvin.com/pacific.php

There is a video of Lester Bowman's prototype Pacific and also one that gives an explanation on Regan's vapor carburetor.

Jan's video shows his Regan carburetor but not close up.  I have a picture of it somewhere and it looks even older than Jan's engine.

Roland
For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #588 on: June 23, 2018, 12:47:29 AM »
Hi Guys

Well I was thinking that it was about time for my quarterly Pacific update. :lolb:

I have been able to carve out some shop time in the last few weeks to work on the battery box. The battery box is one of the last pieces that I wanted to finish before I pull the whole thing down to complete the wood work on the base and painting of the engine and pump.

I decided to use the same vintage Douglas fir that I used on the water tank skid. This is real nice material that was cut 75 plus years ago. It was salvage from an old house that my friend was re-modeling.

The box was modeled in Alibre design including all the hardware. I did search for some proper hardware but couldn’t find anything that I liked, so I decided to make it.
The wood was re-sawn and the blanks band sawed oversized. I don’t have any wood working tools so all the wood parts were done on my CNC mill at work.

Here are all the pieces ready to be assembled, the display base has already been drilled and taped for the box and the large hole is for the hall sensor connector on the S&S ignition module. All the nail and screw holes were pre drilled to insure alignment and keep from splitting the thin panels.

The box was carefully glued and clamped together. The bottom screws to the sides with #2 flat head wood screws and the sides are nailed. I inserted the nails just far enough to align all the parts; then after the glue had set enough to hold, the holes were cleaned out with a drill bit in a pin chuck and the nails pressed into place.

I wanted to dress it up by adding some lettering to the lid. Using my hobby vinyl cutting machine the text was designed and a stencil cut. The font I chose matches what was used on some early Pacific advertizing that have; I used some black decal vinyl that I had on hand to make the stencil. Here the transfer paper has been applied to the stencil the letters carefully removed and then applied to the lid of the box.

The transfer paper is then removed exposing the wood and the letters sprayed with some rattle can black paint. The sides were also masked with tape to protect from overspray.

After the paint had dried the stencil was carefully removed. At this time the letters were very dark and bold. 320 grit sandpaper on a small block was use to carefully sand all the letters down until the wood grain just started to show through, kind of hoping for the old faded look.

After all the assembly and painting the wood parts were all treated with linseed oil thinned 50/50 with turpentine.

With all the wood parts pretty much finished it was time to get going on the hardware. The hinges and hasp are the same width so I was able to combine some of the machining operations. I didn’t take any pictures but as you can see the stock has been thinned down and the boss formed where the pin goes. I decided to cheat a little and just machine everything from solid, instead of forming sheet stock.
In this picture one of the hinge halves is set up to drill for the pin. The one being used for a spacer is a scrap one that the hole wandered.

Here one of the halves has been drilled for the pin. I ran a few test pieces and was having trouble with the drill wondering, so I decided to drill half way from each side which worked better. It’s just a hinge after all.

This is my set up for slotting the fingers. The shim is removed before the slots are machined.

Here is one of the parts after slotting.

All the parts have been slotted and ready for the mounting holes to be drilled and counter sunk for the #1 flat head wood screws.

The assembly process begins, 1/16” welding rod was polished down for a nice fit in the bore. It was left just a squeak large on the end to be a press fit. The milling machine vise was used to press the pin home after it was cut to length in the lathe. Here the fit is being checked after polishing.

All the parts are complete and ready for final assembly. I didn’t take any pictures of the hasp catch; but it was pretty simple construction. After the plate was machined the hoop was formed from 3/32” stock and silver soldered in place. Left a bit long on the back sided and filed down to the plate.

Below are some pictures of the completed box ready to be mounted on the display base. I’m pleased with how it turned out considering how much I dislike working with the brown stuff.

Hopefully it won’t be too long now and I can post a video of it running. Then the fun begins taking it all apart to do the finish work.
Thanks for checking in.
Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #589 on: June 23, 2018, 03:14:42 AM »
It was worth the wait for the update, Dave. The box looks amazing.
--Tim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #590 on: June 23, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
Dave, that is some really nice work there! The wood, the decals, the hardware, it all looks stunning!

Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #591 on: June 23, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »
very nicely done Dave.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #592 on: June 23, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
Dave,
 Very nice! For somebody who doesn’t like working in the brown stuff, you done good!
About the only thing missing is the greasy finger marks... :naughty:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #593 on: June 23, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
Very nice work Dave; Pops would be proud. Kerrin, he doesn’t even produce swarf when he machines, no way you’re going to see greasy fingerprints  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #594 on: June 23, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »
That looks great Dave. I hope you're going to stick a plaque on the bottom. Someone down the line will want to know.

Is that a dimple I spy on the vise?  :mischief:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #595 on: June 24, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Zee, that dimple is a detent stop for a custom vise stop I.m developing. ;)

Dave

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #596 on: July 03, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
Very nice work Dave; Pops would be proud. Kerrin, he doesn’t even produce swarf when he machines, no way you’re going to see greasy fingerprints  :lolb:

Cletus

Cletus,
Your right I forgot about Dave’s swarfless machining! It’s still a very nice box

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #597 on: July 03, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Zee, that dimple is a detent stop for a custom vise stop I.m developing. ;)

Dave

:lolb:

I seem to have a multi station version of that stop!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #598 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »
What a wonderful box  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline jeff l