Author Topic: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 215751 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #480 on: September 20, 2016, 11:36:51 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Other than some test pieces this is my first riveting project; so it was a learning experience for me.

Maury the tank must look bigger in the pictures than it really is. It is 4” X 7”and 5” tall. I didn’t want it to overpower the engine and pump, so it is a much smaller scale version of what it should have been. If it were full size it would have been almost as tall as the engine.

Kim, I learned a lot of what I know about riveting from your Steam tractor build. ;D  While doing some test parts I soon realized the creating a full domed head was going to be quite a challenge. I experimented with different lengths and determined that the full dome head took enough force to form that is was going to distort my relatively thin parts. All of the formed heads are hidden from view so I was ok with not going down that road. Looking at the picture of the tank I was using as a guide it appeared that they just smashed the rivets flat. I think this may be common practice for tinners rivets. I did find that once I got going that by reducing the length of the rivet I was able to achieve a nice, more flat dome; so this is what I went with. On the tank bottom I did just squeeze the rivets flat. This is not an easy area to work in and I guess that if I had taken the time to make a rivet squeezer I may have been able to dome the heads but I would really like to get this project completed someday. I have some pliers that came from my granddad (Plierwrench brand) that the jaws open and close parallel to each other on a rack and pinion. I used these to squeeze the bottom row of rivets; using a snap to protect and form the factory head on the outside and flatten the head on the inside. I will post a picture if you are interested in seeing them.

The fixture I used to cut the rivets is nothing more than a piece of CRS milled to the desired thickness with a couple holes drilled in it. A sharp wood chisel was used cut the rivets while using a finger to hold them in place

The snaps (I guess that is what you call them) were turned from drill rod and used unhardened. The annealed copper rivets are very and easy on tooling. Some of them had to be modified for clearance.

These are the ones that got pounded on with a hammer.

The business end; the one with the hole was used to make sure the rivet and parts were all where they needed to be. After using this punch or snap I would use the small ball peen hammer to upset the head and tighten everything. Then use the dome snap to finish it off.

This is my lash up that I used to set the rivets on the inside of the tank.

The snap was offset enough to allow access to rivets that are quite close to the corner. As you can see in the pictures of the snaps there is also one with a hole that was used first.

Here is a shot of the tank bottom; you can see how the rivets were flattened on the inside. When starting out I would use a tiny pair of parallel machinist clamps to draw the metal together. One clamp on each side of the rivet; this was repeated until enough rivets were installed to squeeze everything up tight. The rivets were first set with a long pin punch then finished up by squeezing with the Plierwrench.

This is a picture of the tank that I was kind of using as a pattern. If you look close you can see that it appears the rivets on the bottom appear (at least to me) to be flat on the inside.

One more shot of the original tank.

Thanks again for all the nice comments.
Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #481 on: September 21, 2016, 12:34:50 AM »
Damm Dave that is some awesome work my friend. The tank turn out great........I .........like........  :Love:

Don.   :praise2:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #482 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:13 AM »
Thanks for that excellent write up and all the great pictures Dave.  Very interesting!

As others have told me already, I probably should have used copper rivets like you did here.  Next time, I will.  Your's came out beautifully!  And I'm certain it's the rivets that make all the difference!  :Lol: :ROFL: :lolb: 

You are an amazing craftsman Dave!  Maybe someday I'll work up to your standard!

Thanks for sharing,
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #483 on: September 22, 2016, 12:47:26 AM »
Thanks Don & Kim

To finish up the tank I needed to make the lid and its flange.

The flange was turned from piece of12L14 leaded steel.

Then it was transferred to the mill to drill the holes for the rivets and then parted off.

The flange is the same thickness as the sheet metal the tank is made from; .036”.

The lid was made in similar fashion; first turning bottom side and parting off.

Then turned around and faced to thickness.

The arms were milled from .060” steel sheet; a tab was used to help hold them down to the fixture plate. The tabs were removed after the arms were cut out

Here are the finished arms ready to be silver soldered to the tank lid.

A fixture was needed to hold the arms in alignment and properly located on the lid.

The lid has been assembled on the fixture and is ready to be soldered.

Here it is just after turning the torch off; Correction fluid was used to keep the solder from making a mess of the lid.

The yoke for the lid was made at the same time as the other sheet metal parts. It was riveted to the tank top using .062” copper rivets and also tinned and soldered.

The tank top was a nice snug fit inside the tank and sits down on the rails. The lid was fluxed and soldered in place. It was filled to the brim with water and left to sit over night and continues to be leak tight. :whoohoo:

Here is a shot of the completed tank setting next to the Goulds pump. Its nice to have another piece of the project completed. :DrinkPint:

Thanks for checking in and continuing to follow along with my project.
Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #484 on: September 22, 2016, 02:10:10 AM »
Dave that is a work of art my friend just awesome results.......l.......like........ :Love:

Don

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #485 on: September 22, 2016, 02:48:59 AM »
Geez, that's just beautiful Dave!! Super nice workmanship. I've learned a few things here.....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline terryzilla

« Reply #486 on: September 22, 2016, 03:10:30 AM »
Dave,

Looks great.  You never disappoint, both the workmanship and the method of fabrication.

Terry

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #487 on: September 22, 2016, 04:43:41 AM »
Outstanding work on the tank and fittings Dave. It really adds character to the pieces.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #488 on: September 22, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »
WOW, what else can I say - a truly beautiful assembly  :Love:

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #489 on: September 22, 2016, 07:09:38 PM »
Hi Dave, very nice pure art.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2016, 12:13:41 AM »
Fantastic work on the tank Dave!   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Excellent craftsmanship!
It's coming together nicely!

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2016, 01:32:53 AM »
I always look forward to more of this project, and you never disappoint...

Outstanding  attention to detail Dave!

Joe

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2016, 01:23:06 AM »
Don, Pete, Terry, George, Dave, Achim, Yogi, & Joe

Wow, thanks for all the very nice comments guys; I really do appreciate them.

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #493 on: September 24, 2016, 03:04:48 AM »
Dave,
I inherited my dad's oxy-acetylene torch but I couldn't do that without extra parts to fix what I screwed up. I'm sure I could do it eventually but it would take a certain amount of practice on unimportant parts. Your tank looks beautiful, a work of art.  :praise2: Cant wait to see the finished product!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2016, 03:33:06 AM »
Your tank came out very nice Dave. Also great documentation and pictures.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal