Author Topic: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 215522 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #405 on: June 26, 2016, 01:39:26 AM »
Those are beautiful Dave. Will look great on the engine!!

Bill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #406 on: June 26, 2016, 02:14:30 AM »
Hi Dave,
 Those are works of art in there own right! Hopefully you will post a picture of the full size & scale oilers when finished, I'm guess that if you didn't have something to compare against you wouldn't know which was which!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #407 on: June 26, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »
The knobs turned out fantastic Dave! Well done!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
I like that you are thinking outside of the box, and use different methods. It's very inspiring!   :NotWorthy:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #408 on: June 26, 2016, 01:54:25 PM »
Absolutely awesome.
Very beautiful.

:popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Dave,
How did you tape them and what kind of tape?
Mosey

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #410 on: June 27, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »
WOW!  Its so cool to watch this level of detail come together!
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #411 on: June 27, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Old pal, my hat is off to you :cheers:, those knobs are just so pretty it's stupid good :NotWorthy: :praise2:. Your dad is looking down at them and grinning :old:

Cletus

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #412 on: June 27, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
Hi Dave, I do like this wood knobs. Excellent Job.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #413 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:23 PM »
As always top notch work Dave.......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2016, 12:35:19 AM »
Hi guys,

Wow thanks for all the very generous comments; I really appreciate everyone’s support and that you are still following along with me.

Kerrin, if you go back and look at post 332 there are some pictures of the original full sized oiler. When I get the little guys finished I will be sure to take a picture with both of them together.

Mosey; here is a link to the tape that I have been using.
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/65364630
I guess the main key is to have everything vary clean; I wipe the fixture plate and stock down with 90% isopropyl alcohol. The tape is applied to the stock and then placed on the fixture; locating on pins or against stops if required. Then the key here is to really press your stock down onto the tape; a dead blow hammer works good for this or for small thin parts a roller can be used to roll the stock down.
Don’t be bashful you really need to pound the parts down good to insure a strong bond. I have a 5 pound Lixie dead blow with a real soft squishy face that works great for pounding stock down on the tape.
The tape in the above link holds real good but will not tolerate any oil or coolant. This is one nice thing though; when you are finished with your job you can hose it down with some alcohol and give it a few minutes and it will come right up. This tape has a plastic carrier that has a constant thickness which makes it nice. It also doesn't leave any sticky or gooey residue.
3M also makes this tape with a paper carrier; it tends to have stronger bond and is more tolerant to liquids but is harder to remove the parts when complete.

Eric, I think about Dad often and how nice it would be to show him my projects and progress; but that’s life I guess; thanks for your thoughts. He did get the see the Pacific and pump mostly complete and that was nice.

Thanks again guys, I have a few more parts to share and will try to get another update posted in a day or so.

Dave

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2016, 02:02:28 AM »
Dave:

Very nice work and also nice photos. Beautiful. That's a lot of handles, just how many engines are you making?

What CAM package did you use the the handles?

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2016, 02:16:48 AM »
Hi Hugh

You can never have too many knobs! :lolb: Actually I needed to make good use of the wood and some of them are going to friends.

I'm using version 28 of Bob CAD; it is a capable program but not nearly as friendly a Master CAM X19 that I use a work.

Thanks for the complements.
Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #417 on: July 06, 2016, 02:15:15 AM »
Hi guys

Here are a few pictures of some of the last little details to finish up the oilers.

The sight glass retainers were threaded in the lathe and after the front chamfers were put in, they were parted off. To keep from having to do a second operation in the lathe, the back chamfer was also put on before the retainer was parted.
The screwdriver slot is being milled using a .03” carbide end mill and collet fixture.

A pair of retainer nuts ready to be added to the oiler.

The vent pipe is .062 K&S tubing and while the originals were threaded I chose not to go down that road. A 3/32” collar was turned and pressed on the bottom end of the vent pipe which will press into the oiler body.

To keep the bends the same I designed this little 3d printed hand bender. I winged it on how much over bend would be needed to account for the spring back of the brass tubing. I got within a couple degrees and after a CAD tweak and running another set of parts, they were right on.

The studs that make up the 4 posts were cut to length and threaded 0-80; I used 1/16 brass welding rod and while they look a little rough in the picture they do polish up nicely.

The nuts that hold the top cover on, are a flat top acorn nut. A piece of 0-1 tool steel was used to make the cutter and after setting it on a compound angle for clearance; the profile was milled using a .015” carbide end mill.
After hardening and stoning the top of the form tool; I was very pleased how it performed. The tool cuts the top, 2 radii and the very small bevel on the top of the hex.

The nuts were first drilled, chamfered, and threaded using a roll form tap; then parted off. Then the blank is screwed onto one of the studs held in a collet and screwed up against the collet for the length stop.

Here is an assortment of completed nuts; let’s hope Lincoln doesn’t sneeze. :lolb:

Getting close to assembly time.

Thanks for checking in.
Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #418 on: July 06, 2016, 02:25:45 AM »
Those are teeny Dave. The is some nice micro machining...just incredible!!

Bill

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #419 on: July 06, 2016, 02:36:27 AM »
Impressive small parts Dave! That's watchmaking territory...  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
I love your printed bender!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal