Author Topic: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings  (Read 213190 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Pacific Vapor Engine from Morrison & Marvin Castings
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2013, 02:56:29 AM »
Very nice Dave.
Educational for me. I've made split collets before. I'd only split through to the center hole. It hadn't occurred to me to slice a bit into the other side. Seems like that would be better.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2013, 03:17:13 AM »
Dave, can you say a bit about how you take these photos? The quality is just spectacular, I am never able to get such clear shots.

What kind of camera do you have? Are you using a macro setting? Do you use any lights, or reflectors? Is the camera hand held or mounted?

thanks

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2013, 04:35:52 AM »
I have to agree with Ron.  I kind of take other people's photos for granted, but yours are particularly clear and well lit.  I sure haven't ever been able to get pictures like that.  How do you do that?

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline larry1

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2013, 05:11:48 AM »
Dave, great work  Great jigs and fixtures.         larry
larry, southeastern kansas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
Simply amazing stuff Dave, and I agree, the pictures are spectacular !!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks again for all the kind words

Some notes on my photography;

A photographer I’m not; I guess there is a little luck involved here. Because I’m a little on the picky side I usually take many pictures to get the ones that I post. I have been using a Cannon Power Shot SD1200 IS Digital Elph (my wife’s camera) and it does a pretty good job. She gave me a new camera for Christmas because every time she wanted to use here camera it was in the shop. My new camera is a Canon PowerShot Elph 510HS. The new camera has taking some getting used to but seems to be working well for me. Overall I have very happy with the Canon point and shoot cameras.

I also have a newer Cannon Digital at work; it is a PowerShot Elph 310 and it also takes pretty good pictures.

I resize my photos of posting using IrfanView (a free program) before uploading them to Photo Bucket. IrfanView has a sharpen option that I use when re-sizing and re-sampling and it seems to improve the image quality.

As far as lighting; I rarely ever use the flash as it tends to wash everything out and screws up the colors. Sometimes I will play around with the task lamp or work lamp on the machine but that is about it. I dislike dark fuzzy pictures so I work at getting what I post to be good enough to see what is going on.

Thanks again for all the comments,
Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2013, 12:33:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth; things have just been somewhat busy around here and it will probably continue through the spring. Here are some pictures of tidying up a few loose ends on the bottom end with regards to the timing parts.

You may have noticed in that last few pictures of my engine that the main bearing area had some pretty sharp corners. This was because I needed to remove some material from the casting to shift the crossover cam closer to the center line of the engine. I spend a good part of a morning filling and blending in this area.

The crossover cam was also substantially trimmed to get things to come out to my liking. I will go over that later. Hopefully within the next couple of days.

One other thing I didn't cover was when I had the body set up in the mill to fit the upper swing arm bracket; I took a cut across the bottom surface of the bosses as there was quite a bit of extra material in this area. This required some filling and blending to match the machined surfaces with the casting.

Here is the body after some hand work; notice the top and bottom surfaces on the bosses are now parallel.

This picture shows the fit of the upper swing arm bracket on the bosses.

Here are some shots of the lift cam machining. I made a couple of extras one for my friend who is working on his Pacific and one more just in-case.

Staring out the stock is faced.

Then Drilled.

And bored to size.

Then set up in the mill in a V block and indicated in.

Both directions.

The mounting holes are spotted and drilled.

Then the profile machined.

Ready to go back in the lathe.

The Cams are parted off to the proper length

Here are the finished cams.

Next is the machining of the cap for the exhaust valve; not a major accomplishment but one more little piece. I deviated somewhat from the plans (do we see a pattern here?). I have seen some photos of a Pacific engine (maybe it was a Union or Regan as there all related) that had a pleasing dome shape on the top as well as the outer rim of the flange having a nice radius. The flange also overhung the boss on the valve chest slightly. So this is how I decide to make mine.

Starting with a piece of 660 bearing bronze (I like the color) it was faced and turned.

Then single point threaded 9/16"-18 to match the valve chest.

The radius on the rim was hand filed, sanded and polished.

Flipped around the stock is brought to length.
I had calculated all the points in my CAD program and a step over and cut approach was used to form the dome.
Here you can see the small lines that need to be sanded out to fully define the shape.

Here it is after some blending ready to cut the hex.

Set up in the mill and indicated in.

The hex is cut.

Then returned to the lathe to put the 15 deg. bevel on the hex.

Here it is installed on the valve chest; now I need to make the copper sealing washer to go under it.

Thanks for checking in,
Dave
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:01:13 PM by Dave Otto »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »
An enjoyable read Dave.
Very nice hand work.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:01 AM »
Thanks for the update Dave...i can relate to having little time lately myself. Hoping you get more time  soon on thin wonderful project.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2013, 02:07:37 AM »
Nice work Dave!   Cool way to make a cam!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
Hi Dave, I enjoyed this last post. The little things in making parts add a lot to the finish engine. That was a cool way of making cam lobes also.

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2013, 12:24:56 AM »
Hi Everyone
I’m still trying the get caught up with my engine build here; hopefully I will be able to do a better job with this as of now I haven’t worked on the engine for a couple of months bit hopefully that will change.

Here are some pictures of finishing and fitting the cross over cam.
The mounting holes in the lift cam were countersunk which as far as I know is how the original was mounted to the crossover cam.  also the square head set screws were machined and casehardened.

The crossover cam was made by Samuel Park at Imperium Tool and Instrument in Butte MT. He has these cams available for Pacific builders. That is unless you have a 4th axis on your CNC or want to design and fab an ingenious machining fixture as Lester did for his engine.

These cams are a nice piece of work, reasonably priced, and the crossover motion is very smooth.

Here is the cam as received; note the extra material on the inside end which can be machined away to adjust the position of the cam on the crank.

Here is the cam after removing the proper amount of material for my engine and valve lifter arrangement.

As I had indicated before I removed quite a bit of material from the cam and the main bearing housing as well.
This is because I want to have the lift arm more in line with the lift cam (personal preference here); also I will be machining my lift arm from brass stock instead of using the supplied iron casting.

If you look at the pictures of the original engine you can see kind of how the lift arm will look. The one for the model will be slightly different as the model is scaled from a smaller engine.

Checking the fit on the engine; notice the lift cam has been installed with the proper flat head screws and the square head set screws to secure the crossover cam to the crankshaft.

Here is a side view showing the engagement of the follower shoe and swing arm.

And here is a view from the back side.

Next I will be the lift arm and bronze shoe that runs on the lift cam to open the exhaust valve.

Thanks for checking in.
Dave
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:12:43 PM by Dave Otto »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »
Thanks Dave, you now have me puzzling over how that cam was originally made using the equipment of the day  :noidea:

Maybe a profile following tool in the lathe  :shrug:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2013, 07:44:33 AM »
Dave

Glad to see you back at it.  Your photographic skills are amazing.

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »
Also glad to see you at it again.
I have the same question as Jo. How were the original cams made?
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal