Author Topic: Elmer's #33 - a novice makes chips  (Read 45661 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Elmer's #33 - a novice makes chips
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
Bummer on the broken tap Thayer...hopefully the chemistry will work though. You have done some amazing design work and it all looks beautiful together. As I said before....Elmer would be proud!!

Bill

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2013, 01:37:32 AM »
When we last left the shop I had a pot of alum solution simmering away with a broken tap encased in partially milled aluminum. I nipped on down to give it a check right before turning in last night and decided the 12 hours it had seen so far was close enough. So how did it all turn out?

Well, not quite as I had hoped. When I opened the lid there was a peculiar odor and a faint stream of bubbles rising from the offending area, but there were stronger streams rising pretty much everywhere else. I don't know if I had it too hot, too concentrated, or what other parameter was off, but as you can see below, I made a proper mess of the entire part. The tap was in the larger hole to the right, and in fact a good part of it still is.

I've been doing a bit of redesign on these parts since milling them anyway, so I'll start on a new set next time in the shop. Once I saw them I decided they were a bit "monolithic."

Thayer
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:01:16 AM by Thayer »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:38 AM »
Bummer Thayer. Yet...for some reason...I feel it's a good thing.
Certainly the learning. For you and many of us.

Part of me says 'save it'. It's a nice addition to the 'wall of learning'. Better than anything I have.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Rayanth

• Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2013, 02:22:34 AM »
almost looks more like concrete in that pic... I kind of like it  ;D

-- Rayanth
---Please understand that I am a complete novice, and may take a very wrong path to doing things. Take my opinions and procedures with a grain of salt.
--- All photos taken with a Canon Rebel t1i and resized using "OptimumJPEG".
---Please alert me to any photos or links that do not load.

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2013, 03:05:41 AM »
Oh, I will definitely be saving it and like the look too, but it won't go on this engine.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
So much for the chemistry route then :)  I have heard of the technique for years though and hope someone else that has tried it maybe even with success, will comment on what went wrong in this case.

Bill

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
I've got a friend not here who did the same with a 5-cylinder crankcase with better results. It did discolor, but did not erode.

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2013, 04:08:38 AM »
I'm not dead yet!

Wow! I just realized it has been a busy month since I last posted anything on this build, and nearly three weeks since I touched the drawings for the bearings. One the one hand, the drawings are just as I left them, on the other, It has been long enough that I am not sure I know what I drew! A bit of cogitation should bring me back up to speed rather quickly though.

The last month has been rather interesting as my wife knew a local widow who's machinist husband passed last fall. He spent the last 50 years of his career working out of the house so there was quite a bit to sift and sort. His Bridgeport and South Bend lathe are well beyond my means, but his grandson, also a machinist, has been very generous in letting me pick through the remaining stock for well under market value before the scrap dealer carted it all off. I doubt I will be buying much metal in the foreseeable future, regardless of what I tackle next! A storage system for all the stock looks like the logical next project.

I also picked up a band saw, die filer, shear, brake, one-inch belt sander and quite a few endmills, taps and drills. The shop is getting crowded but I am a lot better equipped than I was the last time I checked in. The best part though, has been the lessons. I've been firing tons of questions at the grandson and learning a lot about materials and tools that will work for me. I almost feel like I have served a minor apprenticeship!

Anyway, just a quick note to let you know that I have not abandoned my build.

Thayer

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2013, 04:26:01 AM »
I know I'll be here when you get back in the groove. You're doing great work on this engine.

--Tim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »
Your progress has been very impressive Thayer. We are still here following.

Don

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2013, 07:34:23 AM »
Looks like a casting!

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2013, 03:16:52 AM »
Finally, some good news.  Not great, just good.

I'm prepping the photos now, but in case I don't get to posting them tonight, we finally have a reasonably successful cut on the bearing supports! It was a marathon with a lot of setbacks, but in the end I will be happy with them.

More soon.

Thayer

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2013, 06:35:08 AM »
Well the photo processing went faster than I expected, quite the opposite of milling these parts!

No question, the bearing supports have been the larges single contributor to my scrap bin to date. You know that old saying "the third time is the charm"?  Yeah, well that one fits somewhat, but not "to a T."  This time it is more like "the fifth time is the charm," and even then I'm not completely happy with what I have. Despite the transient frustration though, I am still having fun. And in the end, that's really all that matters, right?

So let's get to the progress, such as it is. Just so you don't have to go looking back, here is what my setup looked like on my early attempts. Just a piece of plate stock secured to the tooling plate first used for the main bridge work. I was cooling and clearing chips with a mist bottle filled with denatured alcohol.

The problem with that approach was the mess that got left behind after milling awhile and the constant attention required. Not to mention the rate at which I was going through the denatured alcohol. The gray surface you see to the left does keep the chips off the y-axis ways, but they manage to get just about everywhere else.

Milling the bearings takes right around two hours of machine time, so I decided to try an idea for cooling containment that I have been tossing around. I got a deep foil lasagna pan at the local grocery store and as you can see below burnished the pattern flat where my tooling plate would sit to help seal it between the tooling plate and table. I just used a pencil to poke a couple holes for the plate hold down screws. The plate is not yet secured in this photo, just resting in the pan.

I counted on a reasonable seal in the sandwich and in truth that seemed to play out as planned. When I removed the pan earlier this evening only the faintest amount of alcohol had weeped through to the table.

The milling sequence followed much as described previously, so I won't bore you with repeating that all. Below is a moment of great frustration though. Every once in a great while my y-axis stepper will make a gravely noise at start up and not respond, maybe once in every 50 or 60 power cycles. It has never faulted while running though, so I never thought much about it. That is, until I was 10-12 minutes from the end of my fourth attempt at milling the bearing supports a couple days ago. Things can go wrong with CNC pretty quickly. There was only something like 2 seconds between the failure and when I pressed the e-stop panic button. Regardless, that was still plenty long enough to cancel two hours of milling as the end mill drove through the lower flanges of the major bearing support.

I had hoped to salvage the minor support, but even that one was doomed on this attempt. My specified retaining tab thickness wasn't all it should have been and they flexed just enough to catch the part on the tool right before finishing. The resulting scars were motivation to scrap it as well.

Here are the final few moments of the fifth round of cutting, this time with thicker tabs. You can see that I have now abandoned the mist bottle and rigged a rudimentary gravity-fed flood coolant system. A pencil hole in one corner of the pan transfers the used alcohol to one of a pair of plastic deli bowls that I am using to transfer it back to the source container. The system works well, and the constant attention required previously with the mist bottle has been reduced to only near constant. Yeah, a filtered transfer pump is on the shopping list. Any leads? Anything close to 1gpm flow should be fine.

Here are the parts still in the parent stock and you can likely see the problem in the lower end (right side) of the oval of the smaller support. The oval is not supposed to intersect the lower flange. A chunk of aluminum off-cut got caught against the tool and wedged it into the part. Drat!!!

When I saw the first parts a month or so ago I felt they were too "blocky" and begged a bit more refinement. Here you can see how a slight taper helps out the minor support that is ultimately positioned on the raised base and supports the main shaft between the crank arm and eccentric. I decided to bore the bearing holes on the lathe faceplate, so did not drill them at all before milling. The horizontal slot lets me know how much stock to turn away, yet still gives me a reference surface coplanar with the foot so I can accurately secure it to the faceplate.

This view also shows off the scar at the base of the oval. I am considering milling out the offending area and having the oval be open instead of making a new part.

The side view shows off the tapering, as well as the radiused profile of the actual bearing area. Remember most of that will be milled off, leaving a more subtle contour. The support is not sitting flat as I have not yet cleaned all of the retaining tabs.

By comparison, here is the profile view of the major bearing supports with the redesigned part to the left and original to the right. As this support will sit outside the flywheel and not between two components like its smaller partner, I tapered it only on one side. Both supports will have the same head thickness when finished.

This is the show side that will be most visible once the engine is assembled.

Here you can see the back side that will be against the flywheel. The shallower pocket on this side is due to my centering the flange under the offset head. The dimple at bearing center is designed to help me align the support on the face plate for boring. The minor support has a similar dimple on its reverse side as well.

So there you have it.  Six weeks or so of free time wrapped up in one good part and another I might still be able to salvage. And yes, I have laid in a supply of 2-56 taps. Hopefully one will be enough.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
Nicely Done Thayer!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Very nice pictorial Thayer, and the parts definitely show all the TLC you put into them.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal