Author Topic: Marcher twin cylinder marine steam  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Team ricky

Re: Marcher twin cylinder marine steam
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2024, 03:32:56 PM »
Hereís the boiler ready to silver solder :)

A friend on the trade is going to solder it all up as Iím not well enough for fumes masks and all that !

The boiler is a mix of two designs which have attributes Im looking for , The boiler is a Babcock style with the added vertical flue tubes through the boiler shell, The idea is to have a central flue mounted on a flue cowl (low profile) I should get a lot of steam with a number 12 jet on a Bix style ceramic burner which Iíll make myself and test.

The boiler working pressure will be 50psi so a test at 120 psi should be good 😊

Offline Team ricky

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2024, 03:40:11 PM »
Hi Z,

Yes itís a cork surface :) I like it because if I do wood bits I can pin to the bench and itís easy to peel and replace !

The boiler is 2 3/4Ē diameter x 6 ď long

I havenít calculated anything so just going on gut feeling really , which is where I get the most fun in hobbyís Ö.. I have also a quiet large Scotch return boiler with super heated manifold and wet steam manifold, That particular boiler can make a lot of steam but definitely requires a feed pump to get a good run time .. And a good amount of gas !

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024, 08:57:25 AM »

nice to see that you are experimenting a personal design for a boiler...
Some years ago, I helped about half a dozen of friends with the brazing of their marine boiler, mostly of the internal butane flue tube type with water tubes in helical array crossing the flue, a very common design here; only 2 departed somewhat from this design.
I stopped this activity with the years (77 now) as brazing becomes too stressful, now, I simply discuss about steam around the pond (and at the bar too)  with modelers...just like in the forum !

Offline Team ricky

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2024, 04:05:06 PM »
After a bit of distractions elsewhere I did get on and make and eccentric!

A bit tricky in stainless 316 on my machine but it did do a good job 👍🏼

Offline Team ricky

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2024, 07:07:05 PM »
Hopefully the boiler has been pushed on a bit this week ;) Silver soldering is the part a friend is helping with!

The engine Iíve done quite a bit more on , Made the eccentricís , the straps completely, the eccentric rods and offered up the steam chests!

I thought to make a little registry lug from copper, form to the centre port and have it proud to engage the cylinder block port, That way I can pre-drill the chests and line them up and transfer punch the 4 holes perfectly !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal