Author Topic: 5 Cylinder radial somewhat based on the Morton but not much  (Read 2728 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: 5 Cylinder radial somewhat based on the Morton but not much
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2024, 02:00:45 PM »
I had made the carburetor awhile back along with the carb adapter. The problem is I made the mounting hole on the adapter in the wrong spot, (mirror image) so I had to make a new one. The adapter was made from 2 turned pieces and silver soldered together.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2024, 02:09:20 PM »
The last group of pieces I made are the roller lifters. They are made from W-1 drill rod, the body, roller and pin. I lightly countersunk the one side of the pin hole with the intention of silver soldering each pin in place but when I got ready to solder I found a problem with the torch. I have a Smith Little Torch for oxycetylene brazing. I have had it for probably 15 years. When I went to use it I could smell acetylene. I mixed up some soapy water and started brushing it on the fittings but they weren't leaking. It turned out that the inner lines which are covered with a colored fabric had deteriorated and had a multitude of cracks so the brazing will have to wait until the new lines arrive. If anyone has one of these torches that have some age to them it would be best to check the lines as they have a life span.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2024, 02:24:26 PM »
Great progress on the parts!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Glad you caught the leaking hoses before something went boom-woosh!   :zap:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2024, 05:05:05 PM »
Good looking engine parts.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Did I ever say, I love round engines

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2024, 10:44:55 AM »
The problem is I made the mounting hole on the adapter in the wrong spot, (mirror image) so I had to make a new one.

Happens to me more often than I care to admit - but it looks like you got away with it, in such a way that it looks like that is how it was supposed to be  :ThumbsUp:

Beautiful work as ever George  :praise2:

Per       :cheers:

Offline petertha

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2024, 07:58:57 PM »
I really like your roller lifters. I would like to integrate that into a future engine. Can you provide a sketch of overall dimensions or mention the important ones (roller, axle, main body...).

- I'm guessing something must ride against the machined flat on the lifter body in order to maintain the alignment to cam plate. Can you describe that aspect?
- how is the roller axle retained into the body forks?
- it looks like the lifter body must be inserted from inside the case? (the roller is larger than body diameter). I've seen pictures of FS lifters which make it appear as they can be dropped into the bushing hole externally, but I might be mistaken about that. I can see that being more challenging to miniaturize & maybe that factored into your design?
- so once the roller diameter is established, I guess that dictates the minimum radius between lift profile of the cam plate & timing duration etc.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2024, 09:33:41 PM »
The lifters have a flat machined on them at the same time the axle hole and roller slot are done. The boss and bronze bushing that they ride in will have a 3-48 brass screw riding on the flat. I make the screw longer than needed without threading all the way. I screw it into the hole and keep taking a little off with a file until the threads start to bind up. This keeps the screw tight without having to use Loctite.
The roller is smaller so they can be inserted from the outside.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2024, 10:13:40 PM »
The lower end is finished except for inserting the lifters. I'll have to wait till I get the welding hoses to finish them up. The hardest part of the whole job is ahead, making the cylinder heads. Lots of setups and machining.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2024, 10:16:59 PM »
Hi Peter,
Here's the drawing of the lifters.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2024, 10:19:46 PM »
Incredible detail and craftsmanship as usual George!

:cheers:

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2024, 10:21:01 PM »
My word, that is a neat and elegant crankcase design and some beautiful craftsmanship.

cheers   :cheers:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline petertha

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2024, 12:59:17 AM »
I think I get it now. Brilliant design! So the setscrew engages tapped holes in the nose case, but passes through a clearance hole in the bushing?
I like that adjustable pushrod too, so many good ideas to pilfer here, Haha.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2024, 09:05:35 PM »
Wow, that's looking really good, George!   :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2024, 12:58:36 AM »
Time for some rocker arms. These are .87 (22mm) x .156 (4.0mm). I have used this method in the past and it speeds up production. I machine a piece of stock to the overall dimensions. Then stand it up in my mill vise and drill and ream the rocker shaft hole. The piece is then laid down and shimmed up in the vise to allow the cuts to be made.. I make a step off chart for the radius around the hole and the step on the nose of the rocker. Using a .125 (3.2mm) ball mill I step the radius. The extra material on both ends is for clamping purposes. The piece is then flipped over and the angle set for the top of the rocker and milled. The stock is then stood up and using a slitting saw the individual pieces are cut from the stock. There's still a lot of work to do on them so that will require making several fixtures.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2024, 06:58:56 PM »
Oh wow, that's really cool looking, and you end up with a set of rockers that are nearly identical.  Do you leave them as milled, or go over the radii with a file and some sandpaper to finish?  :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal