Author Topic: 5 Cylinder radial somewhat based on the Morton but not much  (Read 5379 times)

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: 5 Cylinder radial somewhat based on the Morton but not much
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2024, 08:20:21 AM »
I have always used bronze valve guides with valves made from stainless steel screws/bolts. The seats are cut directly in the cylinder head with a cutter similar to Georges. I have not yet had a problem with the aluminium seats, even in the diesel with a 30 bar/450 psi compression.
Best regards

Roger

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2024, 11:34:12 PM »
Still more work to do on the cylinders. Somehow I don't remember all this work the first time but nothing changed. The cylinders needed to be lapped. I bought a commercial lap. I already had the mandrel and adjusting screw so the .625 diameter mandrel was way less expensive than making one. The cylinders were bored to .625 diameter when they were first made and the finish was quite nice so all that was needed was a polishing with the lap. I used the finest grit I had and made 5-6 passes through each cylinder. The finish is great and the sizes came out to just .0005 over the base diameter. The piston and ring have yet to be made so it's not a problem. I mounted the fixture plate in the 4 jaw chuck and indicated the bore true. Each cylinders was clamped in place and with the lathe turning slowly I made the passes.
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2024, 11:47:49 PM »
The mounting holes on the cylinder base couldn't be drilled when the cylinders were made due to the fact that the cylinders screw into the heads so the positioning wouldn't be correct. I screwed each cylinder and head together and made a register mark on both. I then took them apart and made different thickness brass gaskets starting at .008 and running up to .015. A ring was placed into each head and the cylinders were tightened as I noticed the registration marks. I adjusted the shim washer until the marks were about 15 degrees apart. Just a test on the first set. The pieces were unscrewed and the washers were annealed then the reassembled and tightened in place. The original Morton had one piece head/cylinder castings that were bored to accept an iron sleeve. I just don't like working in a bore where you can't see what you're doing so that's why I went this way.
After assembling the cylinder/heads They had to be drilled. I searched for the fixture I made years ago but it was nowhere to be found so another had to be made. Just 3 pieces of aluminum to form a U shape. The pieces were screwed together. The top plate was bored to allow the cylinders a nice sliding fit. When in place I used an adjustable parallel between the port face and the fixture back wall. From underneath I had a screw which pressed on a piece of aluminum and up against the top of each head to hold it securely. Then the mounting holes were drilled.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2024, 11:59:19 PM »
When I originally designed the engine I tapered the fins on the cylinders to provide room to tighten the mounting screws. This took a lot of the fin area away so on this version I left the fins at the same diameter as the head fins but that would require Allan wrench clearance soooo, another fixture had to be made. I turned a piece of aluminum and bored it to accept the bottom flange on the cylinder. I then drilled the locating holes .089 diameter to accept a small dowel that would register into one of the mounting holes in the cylinder flange. I initially put 2 longer dowels in and indicated across them to set the cylinder in the correct orientation to cut the clearance pockets. The long dowels were removed and one short one inserted. The cylinder was mounted and I turned a short piece of aluminum rod and center drilled a hole in one end. This would locate on the tailstock so I could keep pressure on the head while milling. The head on the 2-56 screw was .140 diameter and I had a couple of .156 end mills in my drawer so I took one and ground a ball end on it. Each cylinder was mounted and the clearance pockets were drilled.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2024, 12:03:57 AM »
At this point I just couldn't resist so I mounted all the rocker pedestals and rocker arms onto the cylinders and put them in place on the crankcase. I think I really like the full sized fins on the cylinders. Although the engine isn't that big it just gives it a more substantial look.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2024, 12:20:15 AM »
That's looking great, George!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2024, 12:22:29 AM »
Great proportions. With the rockers on it looks like its ready to walk away.   :popcorn:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2024, 01:22:10 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Top notch!  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2024, 06:39:58 AM »
Looks like a Real Engine  :Love:

Per     :cheers:

Online Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2024, 09:15:41 PM »
George,
Like everyone says your engine looks great!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2024, 09:19:35 PM »
Really coming along nicely.  Agree the proportions of the fins is right.  :o :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal