Author Topic: Murdoch-Aitken "Steeple" engine  (Read 18393 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Murdoch-Aitken "Steeple" engine
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2023, 07:51:16 PM »
Cheers Per :cheers:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2023, 09:11:12 PM »
For a while now I have been managing to "fit" components together in spite of errors caused by my lack of skill and measuring accuracy. :facepalm:  Unfortunately I have now realised that this engine is never going to work as too many bits are wrong. As a result it is now dismantled, put in a box, and put away for the time being. At some stage I may replace some castings or fabricate as needed and continue.
I apologise to anyone who may have been following along.  I  my plan to finish my motorcycle restorations first then I won't get sidetracked by too many projects.
 cheers for now............Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2023, 11:18:20 PM »
Well... shucks...  That's too bad.  I was enjoying your build!  :(

But sometimes we just have to streamline things - jettison a few projects and push some to the back burner so we can focus on other things.  I understand that.

Best of luck to you on the motorcycle restoration project, Terry!  :D

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2023, 07:27:40 AM »
For a while now I have been managing to "fit" components together in spite of errors caused by my lack of skill and measuring accuracy. :facepalm:  Unfortunately I have now realised that this engine is never going to work as too many bits are wrong. As a result it is now dismantled, put in a box, and put away for the time being. At some stage I may replace some castings or fabricate as needed and continue.

That's a shame. I have been trying to detail any "features" from the drawing and their corrections as I went along. (I am aware of another that I must get on and sort out) I know that these can be built to run and are rather nice to watch running.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yjpel2LuW4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yjpel2LuW4</a>

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2023, 11:14:08 AM »
Thank you Kim.
Jo,  I would not have got as far as I did without your help.  The bikes take up a lot of space in the shed and I think I lost concentration on the engine and took some shortcuts that I should not have :embarassed:     Thank you again for your input.         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2023, 08:33:41 PM »
  Since my last post I have developed a form of "guilt"about giving up so early.  I am currently resting due to repeat of last year's strained shoulder, so with a bit of time on my hands I fetched out all the parts.  Each was checked against the drawing only to find that all seemed well. My initial conclusion is that they all have a small amount of error which becomes accumalative when assembled. The cylinder being the worst.  I read thro Jo's build again, have reset my brain and will remake where required. As yet no response from Blackgates so I will fabricate the cylinder from some of my stock.  I am looking forward to the build again :)      This will all take a bit of time so don't wait up.           Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2023, 08:36:35 PM »
:popcorn:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2023, 07:12:11 AM »
Just be careful when checking against the drawings as they seem to have their own errors and of the two sets there are differences between the two.

If you need any pointers on cylinder fabrication just ask.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2023, 09:16:32 PM »
Blackgates have responded and the cylinder is available if I need it.

Cheers Kim

Jason,  if I do fabricate it will basically be a repeat of my Charlesworth engine which was done with you guidance :cheers: :cheers:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2024, 08:00:13 PM »
I have recently been "playing" with this engine.....remaking some bits,  "improving" other bits and loosely assembling / fitting.
I have made a pair of dummy connecting rods to help settle their length and I find they hit the slot ends on the cylinder and entablature. Dismantling is needed to enable lengthening these slots for clearance when the crank rotates.
Apologies as I got carried away and totally forgot pictures.  I will take some at my next session.         Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal