Author Topic: Kearsarge Windlass Engines  (Read 9145 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: Kearsarge Windlass Engines
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2024, 04:00:08 PM »
Catching up on all the threads I have missed. An impressive build. Such a wide ariety of processes.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2024, 04:00:50 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I made the lock for the other crank disc, that one went a lot faster than the first one, same good results. This morning I made the crank pins from a short length of stainless and some 4-40 screws. The end of the bar was turned to shape, drilled/tapped partway and a screw loctited in. This results in threads all the way to the part, better than threading with a die and having it stop just short of the part, so it will thread in completely on the disc. After parting off, the outer end was turned/filed to give it a domed shape.

Here is one installed, just finger tight for now since I want to use the pins to gauge the bore on the conrod bearings:

Next parts are the eccentrics. Started with a length of stainless round, and used a parting tool to notch in the grooves for the eccentric straps to key on, as well as deeper notches for saw guides. The one on the end had a slip, so it will be discarded.

Popped the rod into a collet in the square holder, that will be used to hold the short bar in the bandsaw vise to cut off the individual parts

The parts after sawing, ready to clean up on the lathe:

Couple quick passes on the lathe to true up the cut ends

Ready to drill the offset holes...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2024, 04:01:09 PM »
Catching up on all the threads I have missed. An impressive build. Such a wide ariety of processes.

Gerrit
Great to have you along for the ride!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2024, 04:15:12 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Great looking eccentrics and crank pins Chris.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2024, 04:19:48 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Great looking eccentrics and crank pins Chris.
thanks Jeff! 

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2024, 04:30:49 PM »
I like the mass produced eccentrics!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2024, 05:22:43 PM »
I like the mass produced eccentrics!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim
Thanks Kim!  I keep changing my mind on whether to have the recess in the eccentric or in the strap, seems like every other model I swap them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2024, 07:09:33 PM »
Finishing up the eccentrics, drilled/reamed the offset shaft holes:

and drilled/counterbored/tapped each with a 1-72 set screw hole. I'll put a small hole in the base of each strap to allow access to them for timing adjustments without having to take the strap apart.

I'll make the straps before getting them installed on the crankshaft, so I can use them for test fitting the holes in the straps...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2024, 07:10:45 PM »
Oh, and I was originally going to put some openings through the sides of the eccentrics, till I realized that once installed between the frames and the gears that the openings would not be visible!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2024, 04:19:15 PM »
On to the eccentric straps. Since the eccentrics are steel, I'm making the straps from bearing bronze.  I have a large diameter chunk of hollow core bronze left over from the Holly pump engine - had used it for the largest cylinder. Back when I got it I had taken a thin slice off the end on the band saw to get it squared off. That gave me the idea that using slices from it for rectangular shaped parts would save buying smaller bar and wasting most of it squaring things up. So, I went back and took a couple more slices off, close to the thickness needed for these straps. Then marked out and sawed the ring into smaller pieces:

Then put those on the lathe to true up one side of each, then flipped them over and took the other side off to true it and take it to the thickness needed:

Over on the mill, the pieces were flattened off on one edge, and in the same clamping of each also took off one end so I have two sides square to each other.

All of the pieces have been taken to that stage, and I'm currently taking the other two sizes off to size, square to these first two. Then, I'll notch in the sides and set up to drill the screw holes to joint the two halves of each strap together for further shaping... Stay tuned...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2024, 04:54:55 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2024, 09:04:53 PM »
Great work and ideas  :ThumbsUp:

.... but I thought that 'Excentrics' and 'Originals' (like Us) would could never be 'Mass- / Series- Produced ....  :mischief:

Per      :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2024, 10:37:13 PM »
Great work and ideas  :ThumbsUp:

.... but I thought that 'Excentrics' and 'Originals' (like Us) would could never be 'Mass- / Series- Produced ....  :mischief:

Per      :cheers:
Maybe its Should not be mass produced, the world couldn't  take it!    :Jester:

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2024, 03:58:54 PM »
After the blanks for the eccentric straps were all squared off and notched yesterday, they were drilled/tapped each side for the screws to hold them together. Since they were all the same width, I could use the work stop with the vise to make positioning for drilling simple, set on first one, then run through all of them.

The blanks all screwed together, ready to bore out:

and the first one bored out. Since the slot is in the center of the eccentrics, the straps were first bored to match the OD of the slot, then the side was bored out further to match the OD of the sides of the eccentrics. Next I'll make an expanding arbor to match and use it to bore out the other side of each strap:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2024, 04:09:46 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal