Author Topic: Pendulum Clock  (Read 7603 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Pendulum Clock
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2023, 11:16:42 AM »
Thanks Tony ... I was not aware of that.  I will be careful to keep hands dry.

:cheers:
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline AOG

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2023, 01:41:55 PM »
That is one of those personal experience Sisyphus things that drove me crazy until I figured out what I was doing wrong. I’m glad I could help someone else not repeat my mistakes. BTW I wouldn’t use anything less than 70%. If you can get 90+% industrial IPA that works best.

Tony

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2023, 02:33:25 PM »
Thanks again Tony. I have the 99% stuff is says on the bottle.

Cheers

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2023, 03:04:41 PM »
As we wait for a New Year to begin, I decided to finish of this old one with a bit of a progress report.

Construction has finally started and so far, things are fitting as they should. There are still a few gears to fit in place and then the fine tuning begins.

Offline Krypto

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2023, 04:04:38 PM »
Looks good!

Whenever you get it running there are a few timegrapher apps for the smartphone that can help you set the beat of the clock via the pendulum bob.
My Workshop Blog:  https://doug.sdf.org/

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2023, 04:23:24 PM »
Thanks. I will look those apps up.

Happy New Year

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2024, 01:35:11 PM »
I have managed to get some more done on this clock, and with any luck it will get a test drive early next week.

Offline kvom

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2024, 12:09:23 PM »
I am making the same clock at the moment.  My printer is a MarkForged that prints only with Onyx carbon fiber so all the parts are black.  The print table is too narrow for the dial, and I am looking at dividing it into 2 pieces.  All of the other parts do fit the table.  I'll have the rest of the parts printed in the next few days. 

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2024, 01:13:54 PM »
That will be one strong clock! I look forward to seeing it when it is done.

I am waiting for the wee bearings that I need to do the last bit of assembly.

Then I had a thought ... this is a pendulum clock. I don't see a pendulum!  OOOOPS ... forgot to print those parts!

I guess I am not in a hurry for the bearings after all!

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2024, 12:11:53 PM »
It has been a while. The first version of the clock has been put on the naughty step for a bit as I could not get it to do anything at all.

The designer did another version that was a less complicated, more accurate design, so I went with that one for now. It is together, and on the wall. I have a temporary weight system for testing, and I ran out of filament so some of the colours are off, but, if it works OK then I will reprint some parts in different colours.

At the moment, the clock wants to go. It will do a few ticks in a row and then stop, and if I help it past the bad spot it will carry on. It seems I got in a hurry and didn't clean a couple of gears properly, so, it will come apart and all gears will get a second look. Now that I know it wants to go, I will print the weight case (20 some odd hours) or find a nicer alternative. An old sash weight would be ideal, but I have been looking for those around here and haven't found anything.

Offline AOG

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2024, 04:09:13 PM »
If you want to go the sash weight route, they are available on Amazon. They also have a good selection of tungsten and lead fishing sinkers that may also work for the application.

Tony

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2024, 04:25:31 PM »
This clock place also has clock weights, shells, assemblies in a number of sizes:
https://timesavers.com/c-325857-clock-repair-replacement-parts-weights-weight-shells-components.html

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2024, 06:24:14 PM »
Lovely build. Though it is frustrating when things want to run but not quite.

I would check each pivot (shaft) for easy spin, and a little bit of end shake (play). Don't oil the teeth of the wheels, it just collects dust and then grinds it into paste. Ditto with the bearings, just run them bone dry. Friction is the enemy of clock movements.

If you need more small bearings to play with contact me via PM with sizes, I can Canada Post you what you need from my collection.

For lead weight you might have luck at the local Green & Ross or similar tire place for wheel weights. Lead is easy enough to melt and cast on a small butance stove.

gerrit

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2024, 07:42:56 PM »
Thanks for that offer Garrit. I have enough bearings for the next two or three for sure. I am going to take the clock apart and go over each gear carefully with an eye out for any flash at all. The bearings have the plastic side covers taken off and the factory lube removed. I will check all the pivots as I put it all back. I am encouraged and feel I will end up with a runner with a bit of clean up.

Chris, that clock place has all I need for weights, unfortunately the shipping to Canada is twice what the parts are worth at the moment. There are a couple of places in Canada that carry that sort of stuff as well.

Giant headslap!  I have what I need right here in the house. I use 2lb dumbbells to tension my weaving when I put a new warp on the loom. Threaded holes in each end of a couple will give me the weight I need. I have 1, 2, and 3lb weights so I can do any combo I want.

So, there is a bit to be going on with.

Thanks again for the links and comments.

Offline kvom

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2024, 10:54:51 AM »
Glad to see you are making progress. As I mentioned earlier I am  making the same clock, and have printed all of the parts.  However  I'm currently on a tourist trip in Samarkand Uzbekistan and won't be home for another week.

I decided to use 1/8" and 1/4" drill rod for the pinions rather than 1.5 and 3mm music wire, as I had these rods already.  I'll need to drill out the matching holes.  Since the pinions are fixed I think ovrrsizing the holes in the gears to get free spinning will reduce friction.

I plan to order lead scuba BB weights.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal